Hostess latest company to give out bonuses, Left's response: No big deal

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I have to imagine that the avalanche of companies giving employees bonuses due to the President Trump's tax cuts has to chap Obama's ass bigly. Bigly. How many companies have declared bonuses so far? Total tax cut bonuses are now determined to be equal to $1.38 Billion, with a capital B. I bet every last cent of that ends up being put back into the economy. Pretty soon a company that isn't giving out a bonus will be news worthy instead of the other way around. Thank You President Trump!!!

Hostess Brands, Inc. is the latest corporation to deliver bonuses to workers as a result of the GOP tax bill.
The company, which makes Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Ho Hos, announced on Thursday that it is giving employees a one-time bonus of $1,250, with $750 of that in cash and $500 in the form of a 401(k) contribution. In a borderline on-the-nose move, Hostess is also giving employees one free multibox of snacks per week in addition to the small bonus.

Hostess Executive Chairman C. Dean Metropoulos told Bloomberg that the recently passed tax legislation was the driving force behind the company’s decision to invest in its employees.
“The recent tax reform changes have given us the opportunity to review our benefit and compensation structure,” he said in a statement. “The company’s management and board take great pleasure in sharing the company’s success with our employees.”

Of course the left and the media do some amazing mental gymnastics to down play the bonuses. They do their best to find the black cloud in the silver lining.

those one-time bonuses do little to actually help workers in an economy where wages have remained stagnant for years, despite a four percent unemployment rate. If corporate executives truly wanted to help their employees, they would focus on wages instead.

* one point three eight billion baby

* this is a crappy, cry baby website but I enjoy all their whining and hand wringing

Monello

PREMO Member
Not to be outdone, MSNBC has to piss on the bonus parade. Someone on their channel, that I never heard of, said this:

[FONT=&quot]MSNBC anchor Stephanie Ruhle worried that Hostess providing free snacks to its workers could “end up jacking up healthcare costs.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apparently unwilling to admit that the Hostess bonus is another tax reform success story, Ruhle pointed out on Twitter that eating too many Hostess snacks can have a negative effect on one’s health.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“The free take-home snacks could end up jacking up healthcare costs,” Ruhle wrote. “Unlimited twinkies do not do a body good.”[/FONT]

chicka chicka whaa whaa

transporter

Not to be outdone, MSNBC has to piss on the bonus parade. Someone on their channel, that I never heard of, said this:

chicka chicka whaa whaa

I really don't understand why this is so god damned difficult for you to understand. These bonuses amount to scraps in terms if what the companies are getting. Almost every bonus amounts to less than 1% of the total tax savings expected by each of the companies giving the bonus. Are you and the rest of the crew on here really that stupid not to understand the scale difference??

No $1000 bonuses are not necessarily "going right back into the economy". Here's just another really stupid point that is constantly made on here. Even if they did, even if every penny was used to purchase (as opposed to savings or, the most likely avenue, paying of XMAS credit card bills) the amount is a pittance compared to the size of the economy. Go back to HS and re-take any math class that will get you to understand the relative difference between $1b in bonuses and HUNDREDS of Billions in tax savings.

Next...go back and try to understand WHY a bonus is not a salary increase.

Next...go try to understand why the few wage increases that have been announced are all MINIMUM WAGE increases....increases that were either 1. already on the drawing board.. or 2. forced by the 16 states that raised their minimum wages.

The concepts here really are not that difficult. Why it is so hard for you and those on here to figure out is a stunning indictment of your limited mental capabilities.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I really don't understand why this is so god damned difficult for you to understand. These bonuses amount to scraps in terms if what the companies are getting. Almost every bonus amounts to less than 1% of the total tax savings expected by each of the companies giving the bonus. Are you and the rest of the crew on here really that stupid not to understand the scale difference??

No $1000 bonuses are not necessarily "going right back into the economy". Here's just another really stupid point that is constantly made on here. Even if they did, even if every penny was used to purchase (as opposed to savings or, the most likely avenue, paying of XMAS credit card bills) the amount is a pittance compared to the size of the economy. Go back to HS and re-take any math class that will get you to understand the relative difference between $1b in bonuses and HUNDREDS of Billions in tax savings.

Next...go try to understand why the few wage increases that have been announced are all MINIMUM WAGE increases....increases that were either 1. already on the drawing board.. or 2. forced by the 16 states that raised their minimum wages.

The concepts here really are not that difficult. Why it is so hard for you and those on here to figure out is a stunning indictment of your limited mental capabilities.

Sucks to be losing your argument so badly that you are losing your mind along with it..eh moron?

Monello

PREMO Member
Winning.

Now tell us how beneficial it was for Obama to spend all that money on the stimulus. How it saved the economy. All those shovel ready jobs that improved our infrastructure.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You're right. Nothing - no raise, no bonus, and no Twinkies - is definitely better.

Hijinx

Are you really Nancy Pelosi in disguise?

officeguy

$2600 is a lot of money if you save it on your health insurance. It's 'scraps' if you receive it as a bonus.

littlelady

God bless the USA
$2600 is a lot of money if you save it on your health insurance. It's 'scraps' if you receive it as a bonus.

Some here will miss your sarcasm, and use it against you. Wait for it! This forum is way too much fun! I need to get a life. :killingme:

Actually, I have a life, but I am running on Adrenalin now that grandson was born with no complications for him and dot who has MS. And, we have been babysitting his sis since Tues . Life is wonderful!

Also, the price of MS meds is astronomical.

Last edited:

Starman

Savings rates will never increase.

Far too many live with the immediate gratification mindset.

That's driven by near-zero interest rates for the last 10+ years. That causes people to (a) borrow because it's cheap; and (b) not save because why bother -- with inflation, you're losing money keeping it in a bank account.

With interest rates on the rise, that problem will be taken care of right smart quick.

officeguy

That's driven by near-zero interest rates for the last 10+ years. That causes people to (a) borrow because it's cheap; and (b) not save because why bother -- with inflation, you're losing money keeping it in a bank account.

With interest rates on the rise, that problem will be taken care of right smart quick.

It won't. The folks who don't save with a 2% rate in a savings account wont save with a 4% rate either. If those folks had any foresight, they would be saving right now by putting money into equities.
If the interest rates go up, they'll just pay more on their credit cards and installment loans for #### they 'need' now but don't have the money to pay for.

Starman

It won't. The folks who don't save with a 2% rate in a savings account wont save with a 4% rate either. If those folks had any foresight, they would be saving right now by putting money into equities.
If the interest rates go up, they'll just pay more on their credit cards and installment loans for #### they 'need' now but don't have the money to pay for.

You're probably right to a point, but that math won't work out forever.

The other factor is M2 (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2) which includes demand deposits. It's pretty clear that banks don't need to to anything to induce more savings.

Many workers have a pension or 401 or equivalent so they are exposed to equity markets to some extent. But far too few people do much more than that because they think they'll be OK.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:bigwhoop:

Talk to me when median real income and savings rates start to increase for Americans.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PSAVERT

I'd hope they'd first pay down debt (the primary root cause of lack of saving) and when they're able to do that with this windfall, I'd hope they'd save it.

Hope in one hand, #### in the other.....

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck. When they receive a bonus, they spend it. When they receive a raise, they increase their standard of living with a new car or some such.

I understand that you're trying desperately to paint raises and bonuses as a bad thing because that's what your Democrat overlords tell you to do, but know that it's not working and just makes you look petty and foolish. You seem like a reasonably intelligent person, so why don't you use that to argue smart things instead of just regurgitating the talking points Democrat sour pusses program into the dumb people?

Starman

I understand that you're trying desperately to paint raises and bonuses as a bad thing because that's what your Democrat overlords tell you to do, but know that it's not working and just makes you look petty and foolish. You seem like a reasonably intelligent person, so why don't you use that to argue smart things instead of just regurgitating the talking points Democrat sour pusses program into the dumb people?

You lose. Again.

officeguy

Many workers have a pension or 401 or equivalent so they are exposed to equity markets to some extent. But far too few people do much more than that because they think they'll be OK.

Precious few have a pension these days and few companies have a mandatory contribution into the 401k (not sure they can even require it). As people are for the most part dumb, between putting $1000 into the 401k and blowing it on an I-phone X or payments on a newish car, saving often misses out.

Hijinx

Precious few have a pension these days and few companies have a mandatory contribution into the 401k (not sure they can even require it). As people are for the most part dumb, between putting $1000 into the 401k and blowing it on an I-phone X or payments on a newish car, saving often misses out.

I have a fw bucks in saving , and like the man says, I lose money to inflation with the rate as low as it is.
I would like to get a little more interest on my money,and I used to take out a loan for new cars and things.
I no longer do that, when I want something I take the money out of savings and pay cash.
It isn't earning anything anyway.

Bit I am certainly not against bonus's . An extra thousand is a lot of money to me.
Not all of us are rich like Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Who Gives A #### what the companies are getting .... you act like you have a right to the companies earnings
The Executives Running the Company CHOOSE to PAY a BONUS .... they could have done NOTHING dickhead

...... a bonus is not a salary increase.

who claimed it was

you are the one lacking critical thinking skills ...
AGAIN These companies paying a bonus ...
if the labor market was tighter wages would be higher ....

... there is a GLUT of Workers, therefore wages are LOW

Business pay what they can to get workers .... not what YOU or other Progressives think they should .... it is a Business NOT A Welfare Program