Ruth 2 Boaz and Ruth speak

seekeroftruth

Ruth 2:8 So Boaz said to Ruth, “My daughter, listen to me. Don’t go and glean in another field and don’t go away from here. Stay here with the women who work for me. 9 Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the women. I have told the men not to lay a hand on you. And whenever you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled.”

10 At this, she bowed down with her face to the ground. She asked him, “Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?”

11 Boaz replied, “I’ve been told all about what you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband—how you left your father and mother and your homeland and came to live with a people you did not know before. 12 May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.”

13 “May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord,” she said. “You have put me at ease by speaking kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servants.”​

Ruth is a Moabite.... she is NOT the direct tie back to Abraham. Boaz is the link back to Jacob [Jacob's name was changed to Israel by God]. Boaz is related through Jacob's son Judah. Boaz's mother was Leah.... she's the one that Jacob was tricked into marrying first [the father switched daughters on his wedding night.... and Jacob was married to Leah, then worked a few more years and got to marry Rachel]. So neither of their families was the best.... Boaz's family was dysfunctional and Ruth's family had multiple little idols.... and now they are going to speak for the first time....

This comes from the blueletterbible.org site.

This was constantly on Ruth's mind. She was a Moabitess, and not an Israelite. She knew that on the basis of national background, she didn't belong. This made Boaz's kindness to her all the more precious.​

It has been reported to me: This is a dynamic of small-town life; everybody knows everybody else's business. Yet it also shows that Ruth's devotion to Naomi mattered - it was noticed.​

This is from Bible.org.

Ruth was amazed and humbled by the kindness Boaz had shown to her, a foreigner. She prostrated herself before him and asked why he had shown her such kindness. By his comments, Boaz revealed that although he had never seen her before, he knew a great deal about her. He knew she had cared well for her mother-in-law since the death of her husband. In addition, he knew that she had left her parents and her homeland to come with Naomi to a people she had not previously known. He pronounced a blessing upon Ruth, that God would reward her because she had sought His protection. Ruth expressed her appreciation for his kindness, knowing that she did not have the status of even his most lowly servant.​

So far.... it's not love at first site.... rather it's good Israelite welcomes foreigner who believes in the one Living God.

So far it's not love at first site... it's land owner welcomes a gleaner....

This is from the easy English site.

In verse 8, Boaz showed Ruth that he accepted her. He gave her protection. And he offered her drink from the water jugs that his young men had brought. This was more than the law demanded. Boaz was very helpful to Ruth. He was a generous master. And he was kind to those who depended on him.

Ruth had not expected so much kindness. She was very grateful and humble. She fell on the ground to show that she respected him. Her first question was, ‘Why are you so kind to me? I am a foreign woman.’ He had looked after her especially.

Boaz showed Ruth that he accepted her. Boaz’s God will accept her too. She has chosen to come and be one of God’s people, so God will surround her with his love. He will keep Ruth safe. He will be like a mother bird that provides shelter for her babies under her wings.

So the great great great whatever grandparents of Jesus the Messiah have met and spoken.

:coffee: