Ruth 3 Naomi's plan

seekeroftruth

Ruth 3:One day Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi said to her, “My daughter, I must find a home[a] for you, where you will be well provided for. 2 Now Boaz, with whose women you have worked, is a relative of ours. Tonight he will be winnowing barley on the threshing floor. 3 Wash, put on perfume, and get dressed in your best clothes. Then go down to the threshing floor, but don’t let him know you are there until he has finished eating and drinking. 4 When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do.”​

a. Ruth 3:1 Hebrew find rest

I never have understood this whole threshing room floor thing. Whenever I read it, the song about the young girl who is put in a dress and perfume by her mother who says "just be good to the men and they'll be good to you." This morning I keep hearing that song "don't take your love to town". So personally, I really need to understand this whole thing.

Bible.org has this to offer.

In my opinion, the plan which Naomi proposed to Ruth in our text was a shortcut, but by the grace of God, the two principle characters – Ruth and Boaz – remained sterling examples of godly conduct. You will find that some scholars and Bible teachers tap dance all around the threshing floor, fervently trying to sanctify Naomi’s actions. In my opinion, it is a futile effort. But it is not difficult to see the godly manner in which Ruth and Boaz handled the risky situation into which they had been placed.

Now I say this to forewarn you that I do not believe that Naomi’s proposition meets muster. It falls short of moral high ground. But having said this, I would hasten to say that when the chapter ends, neither Ruth nor Boaz have compromised their character. Naomi’s proposition is the backdrop against which the moral purity of Ruth and Boaz is contrasted.​

Well, we've seen desperate measures before.... Lot's daughter had a similar plan to secure the future.... thus the Moabites....

The Bible.org commentary reminds us of Tamar who tricked her father-in-law.

Tamar knew that when Judah, her father-in-law, went to Timnah to “shear his sheep” this would be a similar time of celebration, a time when Judah might be expected to use the services of a prostitute, and thus she dressed as a prostitute and was “hired” by Judah in this capacity. I am convinced that the same temptations were often associated with the threshing floor. This explains why Boaz will later insist that no one know that “a woman came to the threshing floor” (Ruth 3:14). I think this was a “male celebration,” with no women present. If women were present, it would be assumed that something immoral took place.

Oh, Naomi, what have you done? Here Ruth is trying to do the right thing. She's gleaning for you [dumpster diving in today's lingo]. She's given up her home, her tiny idols, her many gods, and her family to stay with Naomi and worship her God. Now she's being sent to the threshing room floor where Boaz is going to be....

Is this any way for the great great great whatever grandparents of Jesus the Messiah to behave?

:coffee: