Contractor awarded $156mil to provide 30mil meals only delivered 50k

Chris0nllyn

For this huge task, FEMA tapped Tiffany Brown, an Atlanta entrepreneur with no experience in large-scale disaster relief and at least five canceled government contracts in her past. FEMA awarded her $156 million for the job, and Ms. Brown, who is the sole owner and employee of her company, Tribute Contracting LLC, set out to find some help.

By the time 18.5 million meals were due, Tribute had delivered only 50,000. And FEMA inspectors discovered a problem: The food had been packaged separately from the pouches used to heat them. FEMA’s solicitation required “self-heating meals.”

In November, The Associated Press found that after Hurricane Maria, FEMA awarded more than $30 million in contracts for emergency tarps and plastic sheeting to a company that never delivered the needed supplies.

Puerto Ricans depended heavily on emergency aid dispatched by FEMA. The Department of Homeland Security has doled out more than $1 billion in contracts related to Hurricane Maria, which made landfall in Puerto Rico on Sept. 20.

Tribute has been awarded dozens of government contracts since 2013, including one in 2015 for $1.2 million in mattresses for the Defense Logistics Agency, which supports military combat troops, federal spending databases show. Tribute delivered the mattresses, according to the agency.

Four cancellations involved the Federal Prison System, which found that Tribute failed to deliver meat, bakery, cereal and other food products to various correctional institutions. A fifth termination involved the Government Publishing Office, which terminated a contract for 3,000 tote bags after Tribute failed to print the Marine Corps logo on both sides of the bags.

An investigation by the office’s inspector general found that Tribute “altered and submitted a false shipping document and subcontracted the predominant production function on two contracts without proper authorization,” according to a 2015 report submitted to Congress.

The report did not name Tribute, but a Government Publishing Office spokesman confirmed that it was the Georgia company mentioned in the document. The office awarded Tribute 14 contracts totaling more than $80,000 from 2014-15, and the company “routinely delivered late,” the report said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/fema-contract-puerto-rico.html?smid=tw-share

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Let me guess Tiffany is a POC with NO Experiance ... but received a contract #because POC

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Here she is ... ABOUT ME

About-Tiffany.jpg

Dr. Tiffany Brown
Dr. Tiffany Brown is no stranger to hard work and putting forth a strong effort to create success. The native of Atlanta has taken great pride in her education and strives to continue broadening her knowledge. Graduating with a degree in Political Science from the prestigious Spelman College in 2001, a Master’s degree in Public Administration from Clark Atlanta in 2004 and also a Doctorate in Public Policy from Walden University in 2009, Dr. Brown earned these achievements through determination and the desire to achieve her goals.

She has held positions with the United States Government Accountability Office, Fulton County District Attorney’s Office, Georgia Law Center for the Homeless, Georgia Conservation Voters, Supreme Court of Georgia, Equifax, Coca-Cola Enterprises, and Atlanta Bar Association. Upon Graduation from Walden University, she has truly impacted change as an academic and practitioner. Dr. Brown is a former 2009 Write-in Atlanta Mayoral Candidate and owner of 3 companies:

Tribute Contracting LLC, a minority owned government consulting firm (with Three FEMA Contracts over a span of five that equals 10.8 million and 1 million sales this year alone)
Tiffany Brown Designs- women’s clothing line
Tiffany Brown Holdings Inc.- Consulting firm that have five divisions: entertainment, vending, radio, food, nonprofit management and book publishing
Luxe Fuel- A beverage delivery software app
She is the an author of several books: Daily Reflections of Life: A Book of Affirmations for the Ambitious (2010), Prayers of a Faithful Woman (2011), Anger: How to Control It So It Won’t Control You (2014) and Beware: The Risks to Faith Based organizations regarding political advocacy and corporate sponsorship (October 2018 Release).

In 2010, She was honored as a “Influencer” by BOSS Network for my social media activity (Twitter @drtiffanybrown) as a motivator force. The BOSS Network is a women’s empowerment alliance dedicated to highlighting women and creating opportunities for growth through networking beyond events. BOSS was named among the top 100 websites and one of the top 10 career sites for women in 2010 by Forbes.com

She is also an avid runner. She just completed her eighth Peachtree Road race and currently training for her eighth Thanksgiving Half Marathon. She is a member of National Coalition of 100 Black Women MECCA Chapter, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated and active member of Impact Church where Rev Olu Brown is the Senior Pastor. She is the former President of the Women’s Usher Board, Corporate Sponsorship Coordinator, Board of Trustees and Vice Chair of Church Council. She is also on the Board of Directors of Beauty Recycled Foundation, and United Methodist Children’s Home.

Seems that she shut down her website. But there is Google web cache. hehehehehe

nutz

You missed the part where the company had a history of problems handling smaller government contracts worth less than $100,000 and had been barred from government work until 2019. This is the whole friggin' problem, government contracting offices do not do their job and no one ever points a finger at them.

DLA "lost" about a billion dollars. It's going to cost about another billion to figure out why. What the hell, it's only money.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/pentagon-logistics-agency-review-funds-322860

MiddleGround

This is the whole friggin' problem, government contracting offices do not do their job and no one ever points a finger at them.

Even sadder when you figure that for every engineer, technician, or manual labor person, there are 2 people tracking money. Insane!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
DLA "lost" about a billion dollars. It's going to cost about another billion to figure out why. What the hell, it's only money.

And yet it took so long for us to get paid for hardware delivered on time and with all the required documentation that we will not accept purchase orders from DLA any more. They want to buy our hardware (and they do need to), we make them purchase through some other contract vehicle so that we're not dealing directly with the gummint. Of course that immediately adds on to the price the gummint ultimately pays for our chit but, frankly, I do not care. Government procurement...FARS..is totally out of control.

PeoplesElbow

Past contract performance is not allowed to be considered when awarding a contract....

I spend many hours writing justifications on why I need XYZ from company ABC and why a similar version from company DEF will not work properly.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
NYT is another "news" outlet that lies its ass off, and therefore I presume everything they print is a lie.

Hijinx

The way I read this she started her bad business practices long before Trump came on the stage. Probably under Obama, and fema instead of checking her out just kept on using her.
She should be in prison, but she looks like she is Melanin protected.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The way I read this she started her bad business practices long before Trump came on the stage. Probably under Obama, and fema instead of checking her out just kept on using her.
She should be in prison, but she looks like she is Melanin protected.

From her bio, it seems she has a few irons in the fire. Most likely she got the contract, then got someone else to do the actual cooking, while taking a hefty cut for doing very little work. Not a bad way to make a living if you can find contracts on a consistent basis.

nutz

And yet it took so long for us to get paid for hardware delivered on time and with all the required documentation that we will not accept purchase orders from DLA any more. They want to buy our hardware (and they do need to), we make them purchase through some other contract vehicle so that we're not dealing directly with the gummint. Of course that immediately adds on to the price the gummint ultimately pays for our chit but, frankly, I do not care. Government procurement...FARS..is totally out of control.

Apparently one of the secrets is to just keep sending them an invoice, eventually someone will get tired of seeing it cross their desk and will just pay it. I received a payment for services not provided and when it was backtracked they said it was my fault because I sent too many invoices.

nutz

From her bio, it seems she has a few irons in the fire. Most likely she got the contract, then got someone else to do the actual cooking, while taking a hefty cut for doing very little work. Not a bad way to make a living if you can find contracts on a consistent basis.
There's the whole secret, just be a general contractor. Bid on everything and see who bites, sub it all out. When things go south, blame the subs and get a new contract.