Spacex - Just Amazing

glhs837

Power with Control
Not perfect yet, sine we dont know if the center core made it's landing on the drone ship. But even if it blew up and took the droneship to the bottom with it, still a huge sucess. That synchronized booster landing I'll watch about 50 times...... Need to get home and find a 4K feed wth surround and watch it bigly on the 65 with 7.1 and a subwoofer.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Not perfect yet, sine we dont know if the center core made it's landing on the drone ship. But even if it blew up and took the droneship to the bottom with it, still a huge sucess. That synchronized booster landing I'll watch about 50 times...... Need to get home and find a 4K feed wth surround and watch it bigly on the 65 with 7.1 and a subwoofer.

As perfect as it can get. Getting the load up and into space makes the important part perfect - retrieving the boosters is just icing on the cake.:yay:

Chris0nllyn

Certainly a great start as far as test flights go. Unfortunately, the third booster missed the drone ship and hit the water at 300mph and the Tesla 3 overshot its orbit and will pass by Mars.

It's pretty cool to think this thing launched from the same pad as Apollo missions (among others).

glhs837

Power with Control
Certainly a great start as far as test flights go. Unfortunately, the third booster missed the drone ship and hit the water at 300mph and the Tesla 3 overshot its orbit and will pass by Mars.

It's pretty cool to think this thing launched from the same pad as Apollo missions (among others).

So, here's a thought I read this morning. New orbital path for the Roadster now goes out to the asteroid belt. What are the chances that Musk thought that maybe showing that his booster could get a payload out to where there are free floating resources would be better than hitting the orbit of another place where, even though it has resources, you need to get into and out of a gravity well to get them. And getting permission to send the Roadster out where an impact is far more likely would have been tough, so it's a case of seeking forgiveness is easier than seeking permission.

Given the end game is a continued human presence off the Earth, getting at least a few eggs out of the basket, and commercial development of space is crucial to that, maybe pitching the space mining aspect was seen as a better spur to development than tossing something to Mars. Sending a semi-autonomous booster package or three to bring a few smaller rocks into lunar L1, L4, or L-5 to work on seems a lot easier now.

Chris0nllyn

So, here's a thought I read this morning. New orbital path for the Roadster now goes out to the asteroid belt. What are the chances that Musk thought that maybe showing that his booster could get a payload out to where there are free floating resources would be better than hitting the orbit of another place where, even though it has resources, you need to get into and out of a gravity well to get them. And getting permission to send the Roadster out where an impact is far more likely would have been tough, so it's a case of seeking forgiveness is easier than seeking permission.

Given the end game is a continued human presence off the Earth, getting at least a few eggs out of the basket, and commercial development of space is crucial to that, maybe pitching the space mining aspect was seen as a better spur to development than tossing something to Mars. Sending a semi-autonomous booster package or three to bring a few smaller rocks into lunar L1, L4, or L-5 to work on seems a lot easier now.

It's a possibility, sure, but Musk himself said the second stage booster burned too long and overshot. Musk wants to go to Mars, bad, so I think having a Tesla orbiting Mars for billions of years (not that the car would last that long) is in his best interest rather than flying needlessly into an asteroid belt.

glhs837

Power with Control
It's a possibility, sure, but Musk himself said the second stage booster burned too long and overshot. Musk wants to go to Mars, bad, so I think having a Tesla orbiting Mars for billions of years (not that the car would last that long) is in his best interest rather than flying needlessly into an asteroid belt.

"Whoopsie, overshot Mars, sorry bout that " :)

But it wasn't going to orbit Mars anyway, just go into an orbit that occasionally intersected Mars orbit, if you see the distinction. And I'll note this new orbit also still does that.

Roadster Orbit.jpg

I still think he just wanted his car available when he does get to Mars. I'm sure he's working on a plan to recover it and drop it to the surface.

glhs837

Power with Control
I still think he just wanted his car available when he does get to Mars. I'm sure he's working on a plan to recover it and drop it to the surface.

I'm surprised no one has photoshopped MoonRaker hauling the car in.....

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm surprised no one has photoshopped MoonRaker hauling the car in.....[/QUOT

Whoops - missed by that much....

So, would the space traveling car be the cosmic version of the Goodyear blimp?

Only if it keeps transmitting it's position. I was kinda surprised that it wasn't fitted with the Dragon Capsules unfolding solar arrays and a simple beacon.