Traffic Rant Clements traffic circle

Tom38

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I have been inactive on here for a couple years, so haven't seen it.

I drive 234 both to and from work every day and have for almost 20 years. I know traffic could get pretty backed up in Clements at the 4-way stop, but that was an inconvenience. I'm my opinion the fairly new traffic circle was vey poorly designed, and has now made that intersection dangerous.

Just want to know, what are other people's opinions on it?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I don't have an issue with it. Then again I travel through there on off peak times several times a day.

glhs837

Power with Control
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I have been inactive on here for a couple years, so haven't seen it.

I drive 234 both to and from work every day and have for almost 20 years. I know traffic could get pretty backed up in Clements at the 4-way stop, but that was an inconvenience. I'm my opinion the fairly new traffic circle was vey poorly designed, and has now made that intersection dangerous.

Just want to know, what are other people's opinions on it?

Why do you think it's poorly designed? How do you define danger? Injury severity matters. Dont think I've heard of any crashes there.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I've lived here in Clements for over 30 years and I think it is the best thing to happen since Andersons Bar. Go through it many times during the day with no problems. For the space they had to work with, I think it worked out pretty well.. JMHO.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've been driving through that intersection for over 40 years....I think the new circle is just fine, especially now that they have gotten rid of the stupid temp stop signs.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've lived here in Clements for over 30 years and I think it is the best thing to happen since Andersons Bar. Go through it many times during the day with no problems. For the space they had to work with, I think it worked out pretty well.. JMHO.

Gumby said the Chaptico circle cut your mother's range down by 50%. Could you imagine if she were still with us? She'd never leave the 7th. :lol:

The circle can get a little intimidating at peak, but I think it's a major improvement. I generally plan my treks to Leonardtown before or after the peaks. The majority of my business is in Charlotte Hall or across the Nice bridge.

Gumby said the Chaptico circle cut your mother's range down by 50%. Could you imagine if she were still with us? She'd never leave the 7th. :lol:

The circle can get a little intimidating at peak, but I think it's a major improvement. I generally plan my treks to Leonardtown before or after the peaks. The majority of my business is in Charlotte Hall or across the Nice bridge.
oh my gosh... Gumby!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Easy Peasy! If you think that is difficult, try the circles in Italy and the U.K. that run 3 vehicles deep! :faint:

Mavis

Traffic circles are only a problem when people don't use them properly. The general rule is a vehicle already in the circle has the right of way. A vehicle approaching a circle yields to vehicles already in the circle. And once on the circle you do not give way to allow other vehicles to enter (unless emergency vehicles, and then only if it's safe to do so) The most frightening circle in Maryland is the one at Hughesville during rush hour. The number of times the car in front of us on the circle has stopped dead to let another car enter is unbelievable. The idea behind traffic circles is to keep the traffic flowing!

glhs837

Power with Control
Traffic circles are only a problem when people don't use them properly. The general rule is a vehicle already in the circle has the right of way. A vehicle approaching a circle yields to vehicles already in the circle. And once on the circle you do not give way to allow other vehicles to enter (unless emergency vehicles, and then only if it's safe to do so) The most frightening circle in Maryland is the one at Hughesville during rush hour. The number of times the car in front of us on the circle has stopped dead to let another car enter is unbelievable. The idea behind traffic circles is to keep the traffic flowing!

I think maybe some more education and signage might help. Okay, it's really a hope more than a concrete expectation. :)

Chris0nllyn

In general, circles are a better design than 4-way stops. I'm curious how traffic even piles up there. Aren't there like 25 people that live in Clements?

black dog

Free America
I think maybe some more education and signage might help. Okay, it's really a hope more than a concrete expectation. :)

When the first roundabout opened in Carmel, IN just north of Indy they offered classes to teach folks how to drive through them. Most out here don't get the fact that with three lanes to use driving around the circle the only one they use is the outside lane.
Everyone literally will drive 3/4 around the circle using the outside lane.

Grumpy

The general rule is a vehicle already in the circle has the right of way. A vehicle approaching a circle yields to vehicles already in the circle.

They put one in my area in Calvert a couple years ago and there are still some that don't get 'vehicles in circle have the right of way'. Typically see someone cut off while in the circle a couple times a week.

I've never been a big fan of circles. Not because of the traffic flow, it does help, but because of the drivers who can't use them. The worst are timid drivers, and there are lots of them. They'll sit waiting to enter the circle until the entire circle is empty. And like has been said they will hesitate in the circle to yield when they shouldn't.

When circles were first being experimented with back in the 70s in NY, many of the circles got a "black sign" warning, meaning this intersection is known for high numbers of accidents. It was a physical sign put up just before the circle to warn you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've never been a big fan of circles. Not because of the traffic flow, it does help, but because of the drivers who can't use them. The worst are timid drivers, and there are lots of them. They'll sit waiting to enter the circle until the entire circle is empty. And like has been said they will hesitate in the circle to yield when they shouldn't.

When circles were first being experimented with back in the 70s in NY, many of the circles got a "black sign" warning, meaning this intersection is known for high numbers of accidents. It was a physical sign put up just before the circle to warn you.

I agree that a lot of people don't know how to drive in the circles...or how to drive at all, for that matter. But the Clements and Chaptico intersections were historically ranked two of the worst in MD for serious and fatal accidents and the circles do take care of curing that; when accidents do occur they are, by design, mostly likely to be glancing merge collisions between vehicles going roughly the same speed and direction.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
In general, circles are a better design than 4-way stops. I'm curious how traffic even piles up there. Aren't there like 25 people that live in Clements?

You would be shocked at the amount of traffic that comes through there each day.. Loads of people from Va going to the base. 234 is one of the main arteries out of the county. OH and we (the 25 people that live there) use it too.. Some of us have cars now.. If people knew how to drive in a round-a-bout, there wouldn't be a problem.. I see people coming down 234 toward Leonardtown and they don't even slow down that much. Just keep on bookin.. You need to at least look to see if there is a vehicle in the round-a-bout. If there is you yield.. Always look to your left.. Simple common sense. OH and BTW, they had to downsize the one in Clements so it would not interfere with Andersons Bar. That is a national landmark and could not be touched.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
OH and BTW, they had to downsize the one in Clements so it would not interfere with Andersons Bar. That is a national landmark and could not be touched.

As it should be! :yay: Heck, of the once many 7D bars, Andersons is about the only one left...

Chris0nllyn

You would be shocked at the amount of traffic that comes through there each day.. Loads of people from Va going to the base. 234 is one of the main arteries out of the county. OH and we (the 25 people that live there) use it too.. Some of us have cars now.. If people knew how to drive in a round-a-bout, there wouldn't be a problem.. I see people coming down 234 toward Leonardtown and they don't even slow down that much. Just keep on bookin.. You need to at least look to see if there is a vehicle in the round-a-bout. If there is you yield.. Always look to your left.. Simple common sense. OH and BTW, they had to downsize the one in Clements so it would not interfere with Andersons Bar. That is a national landmark and could not be touched.

No doubt. Glad to see Clements moving on up.

I wonder if they could build an overpass over the lanes so peopel can walk from Andersons to the gas station/body shop, to the baseball field.