What do you do with your kitchen grease?

PeoplesElbow

My mom dumps hers in the field across the street from her house, has for over 30 years. I use to flush mine down the drain with some really hot water but now I save jars and put it in and toss it in the trash. What do you do with yours and why?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
My mom dumps hers in the field across the street from her house, has for over 30 years. I use to flush mine down the drain with some really hot water but now I save jars and put it in and toss it in the trash. What do you do with yours and why?

Goes out with the trash......septic can’t handle it......milk products also.....

PeoplesElbow

Goes out with the trash......septic can’t handle it......milk products also.....

NO idea septic systems couldn't handle milk. I have lived in the middle of nowhere before but never had a septic system, did live in a house whose #### pipe emptied in the nearby river down the hill though.

If it's heavy grease (congealed) I save it until I have enough to make a suet cake, put it out for the birds.

Liquid grease like peanut oil goes into a container and I take it to the recycle center. There's a can for cooking oil.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I saved coffee cans to put grease in, kept in freezer because turns rancid, and when full, threw away; when lived in Calvert. Live in Montgomery, now, and still do the same, even though on public water. Grease is just bad for pipes, no matter what the setup. I have a sink disposal now after 20 years without one, but I still dump most food waste in the trash.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If it's heavy grease (congealed) I save it until I have enough to make a suet cake, put it out for the birds.

Liquid grease like peanut oil goes into a container and I take it to the recycle center. There's a can for cooking oil.

Your post is my ‘learn something every day’ for today. Thanks! I looked it up. https://www.bing.com/search?q=make+...-24&sk=&cvid=F4CA2AA39C8D4EC1B5F2C5B35D8FD4B1

Also, I never noticed a cooking oil receptacle at the Ball Road location; maybe I missed it. They do have an auto oil one. Anyway, thanks for the info.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bacon grease has a separate jar that is in the fridge. The rest goes into another jar and thrown in the trash when full. If it is just a tiny amount, sop it up with a paper towel and it goes in the trash, too.

SamSpade

Exactly what I do - keep a jar or can around to collect it. If it's small, I soak it up with paper towels and throw THAT away.

Too many clogged pipes to flush it down.

Toxick

Splat

I dump it in the bay, along with my used motor oil.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Bacon grease + jar = fridge.

MUST have bacon grease for green beans, brussel sprouts or pancakes. :yay: