Racing Go Karts

zigg72md

I would like some thoughts on the following:

Is amateur go-kart racing a sport, hobby or just an outdoor activity?

black dog

Free America
I believe it depends on what seat you or your kid are taking, The driver's seat or a seat in the stands.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would like some thoughts on the following:

Is amateur go-kart racing a sport, hobby or just an outdoor activity?

I think can be any of them, depending on how serious your son is about it. If he's just fooling around with his friends, it's a hobby and outdoor activity. If he races for real, I'd call it a sport.

zigg72md

He is pretty serious...lol

serious.jpg

zigg72md

It was part of a discussion I had about how to grow support for karting recently. So I wanted the thoughts and opinions of non karting people.

zigg72md

NASCAR is the plan. I am VERY proud. When it comes to him I only worry about what is best for him(and the rest of the family). However when it comes to karting. I could use a few ideas.

littlelady

God bless the USA
NASCAR is the plan. I am VERY proud. When it comes to him I only worry about what is best for him(and the rest of the family). However when it comes to karting. I could use a few ideas.

I can’t help with the karting subject. My children excelled in softball, baseball, and golf. But, the support of a parent is everything. It is, obvious, you got this. Any sport can be dangerous, but we teach our children to be fearless, and go for it. Good luck with it all.

black dog

Free America
How old is your son, I live in Indiana, usually kids that excell in carts go into 1/4 then half midgets between 7 and 11 years old. Open wheel is popular out here in the heartland.
The town I live in host a weekend race through the business district every year with the cart series.. Every weekend in the summer a different town through out the state, hosts the race..

zigg72md

He is 12. In our area there is no quarter or half midget racing close enough. However once he turns 16 there are pro 6 and Legend class racing.

black dog

Free America
He is 12. In our area there is no quarter or half midget racing close enough. However once he turns 16 there are pro 6 and Legend class racing.

If your going to race, daddy's gonna have to drive. I would certainly think that they run 1/4 and 1/2 midgets in Hagerstown, and all throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania..

zigg72md

There is also the matter of money. Since I am not independently wealthy. Karting will have to do for now.

black dog

Free America
There is also the matter of money. Since I am not independently wealthy. Karting will have to do for now.

Yea, cash helps, a few guys that work and or race with USAC belong to a Conservation club I belong to. One of them runs a new focus on asphalt... He said it was 60 + grand for his son to drive...
.There is a member here that his son raced carts for a few years, and they play with a street stock and one or two late models I believe, if he reads this I'm sure he will chime in with his opinions...

zigg72md

So far we have about 6K in two karts(Thanks to my FIL). My son currently runs on a 1/5 mile asphalt oval. There is also a NASCAR K&N track down the road. We have plans to get him noticed by the right people.

zigg72md

FYI...We are having the first race of the 2018 season this Saturday April 7th. Spectators are free. Just $10 to enter the pit area.