Ruth 3 Not a ring

seekeroftruth

Ruth 3:16 When Ruth came to her mother-in-law, Naomi asked, “How did it go, my daughter?”

Then she told her everything Boaz had done for her 17 and added, “He gave me these six measures of barley, saying, ‘Don’t go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.’”

18 Then Naomi said, “Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today.”​

Right to Bible.org.

Ruth told her all that had transpired throughout the night and what Boaz had done for her. She made a point of calling attention to the barley that Boaz had sent with her, indicating that these were a gift from Boaz to Naomi. I’m probably stretching things here, but just as an engagement ring symbolizes a man’s intention to marry a woman, this barley seems to symbolize Boaz’s commitment to care for Naomi.

Naomi is now confident that Boaz will follow up on his commitment and see the matter through to the end. She knows Boaz well enough to assure Ruth that the matter will be settled before the day is over.

Wow... how romantic.... a shawl full of barley.... see how it glitters in the daylight.... lol

Now what has Naomi done? Ruth chose the field that belonged to Boaz. Naomi didn't tell her where to glean. Naomi really didn't know where she would go. BUT... when Naomi sent Ruth to the threshing room floor, did she know there might be a closer goel? How could she not? She knew Boaz was a goel.... why wouldn't she know that there were others?

Well, at least we know that the great great great whatever grandparents of Jesus the Messiah had to wait.

:coffee: