Margaret Brent Middle School

What is going on there, where a boy can give another boy a concussion, and only recieve ONE day on in school detention??? My son witnessed this. The boy who recieved the concussion has been bullied all year by the other boy. The boy being bullied is very short, and was always being made fun of for it. He told the boy to F off, and he hit him. ONE DAY of in school detention, and the other boy was in the hospital. Something needs to change at that school and QUICK!!!!!!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
MSDE guidelines for a fight, first offense. Don't blame the school or the school system. The penalties for most school offenses were lessened a few years ago in order to address disparate impact between student cohorts.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I believe the reason the schools do not expel bullies is because they want the money that the govt gives them for each warm body. They don't give a rats ass about your kids.

Home school.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The parents of the boy who was hit need to press criminal charges against the attacker, and sue the school for failing to protect their son. And they need to stand firm against the school officials, who will certainly try to bully them into dropping it.

Parents need to take a stand against this crap and not back down.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The parents of the boy who was hit need to press criminal charges against the attacker, and sue the school for failing to protect their son. And they need to stand firm against the school officials, who will certainly try to bully them into dropping it.

Parents need to take a stand against this crap and not back down.

Yep. I did it. Cleaned up the halls with the girl that punched my daughter in the face.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I believe the reason the schools do not expel bullies is because they want the money that the govt gives them for each warm body. They don't give a rats ass about your kids.

Home school.

No, they don't expel kids now because the rules were changed, from "guidance" from the DOJ down to MSDE. Add in NCLB, R3T and ESSA, all of which punish schools and school systems for expulsions, and you get what we have now.

In addition locally, businesses were complaining about suspensions because kids were going to hang out in the malls when they were suspended.

Here's a fun fact:
About 90% of issues in schools are caused by 3% of the students. They are suspended time after time, both in school and out, and it has absolutely zero effect.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No, they don't expel kids now because the rules were changed, from "guidance" from the DOJ down to MSDE. Add in NCLB, R3T and ESSA, all of which punish schools and school systems for expulsions, and you get what we have now.

In addition locally, businesses were complaining about suspensions because kids were going to hang out in the malls when they were suspended.

Here's a fun fact:
About 90% of issues in schools are caused by 3% of the students. They are suspended time after time, both in school and out, and it has absolutely zero effect.

So, you don't think that MDSE, NCLB, etc, don't scrape their share off the top? LOL

glhs837

Power with Control
MSDE guidelines for a fight, first offense. Don't blame the school or the school system. The penalties for most school offenses were lessened a few years ago in order to address disparate impact between student cohorts.

Home school.

See above, which was thoroughly discussed here when it became A Thing here two or three years ago. Sort of started in DC locally, then spread like wildfire. It's not because they don't want to get rid of the problem kids, they are afraid that if they do, it's a Federal Case.

Misfit

Lawful neutral

Attachments

• 001_1.jpg
    001_1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 299

black dog

Free America
See above, which was thoroughly discussed here when it became A Thing here two or three years ago. Sort of started in DC locally, then spread like wildfire. It's not because they don't want to get rid of the problem kids, they are afraid that if they do, it's a Federal Case.

When my son was being bullied while attending Lettie Dent, I was told on numerous occasions ( I was at the school at least a dozen documented times) that the problem child could not be suspended because he had a single mom that worked and there was no other family members locally that could watch him..
The next school year when my son had enough and punched the problem child, the principal wanted to suspend my son for defending himself..
I pull d out the file we had collected and told the principal that she would be the first on served in the suit if she sent my son home.
The following school year this problem was sent to live with his grandparents after he pulled his weiner out on the school bus and showed two sisters.
It didn't go over well at all.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Back in the 1960s, big brothers & older cousins were allies in the fight against bullies. Usually just a threat of rearranging the bully's facial features was enough for them to seek a different person to pick on.

glhs837

Power with Control
When my son was being bullied while attending Lettie Dent, I was told on numerous occasions ( I was at the school at least a dozen documented times) that the problem child could not be suspended because he had a single mom that worked and there was no other family members locally that could watch him..
The next school year when my son had enough and punched the problem child, the principal wanted to suspend my son for defending himself..
I pull d out the file we had collected and told the principal that she would be the first on served in the suit if she sent my son home.
The following school year this problem was sent to live with his grandparents after he pulled his weiner out on the school bus and showed two sisters.
It didn't go over well at all.

How long ago was that, I have to ask. This thing I'm talking about is fairly recent, was surfacing when my son was just out of high school about 2-3 years back. Hadn't kicked in yet, the proponents of the disparate punishment school of thought were just beginning to make waves. Like the income inequality folks, it centered on keeping things basic and not allowing anything other than the basic factors be considered. Lil' Johhny gets written up for disrupting class and gets detention. Lil' Jamal gets written up for disrupting class and gets suspended. See, Lil' Johnnie got a better deal because he's white. But quite often when you dug into the meat of it, Lil Johnnie three a paper ball at someone in class, while Lil' Jamal tossed a desk across the room. If you just present the basic offense and the punishment, you can make it look pretty bad. Which is what happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4b654bcc9b2_story.html?utm_term=.19ae44c1b771

I can push you in the chest with a finger and that's assault. I hit you with a bat, that's assault too :)

black dog

Free America
Back in the 1960s, big brothers & older cousins were allies in the fight against bullies. Usually just a threat of rearranging the bully's facial features was enough for them to seek a different person to pick on.

I'm a 60's kid, but I had three sisters and my brother is 10 years younger.. And no local cousins, but my dad did study Okinawan karate and boxing with in the Navy and he taught us what he knew.
My son is by far the best student so far with spending over 11 years with Tolsens Karate. He is really looking forward to what is taught nowdays with the multi crossover martial arts during his time in the MC.

black dog

Free America
How long ago was that, I have to ask. This thing I'm talking about is fairly recent, was surfacing when my son was just out of high school about 2-3 years back. Hadn't kicked in yet, the proponents of the disparate punishment school of thought were just beginning to make waves. Like the income inequality folks, it centered on keeping things basic and not allowing anything other than the basic factors be considered. Lil' Johhny gets written up for disrupting class and gets detention. Lil' Jamal gets written up for disrupting class and gets suspended. See, Lil' Johnnie got a better deal because he's white. But quite often when you dug into the meat of it, Lil Johnnie three a paper ball at someone in class, while Lil' Jamal tossed a desk across the room. If you just present the basic offense and the punishment, you can make it look pretty bad. Which is what happened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4b654bcc9b2_story.html?utm_term=.19ae44c1b771

I can push you in the chest with a finger and that's assault. I hit you with a bat, that's assault too :)

My son graduated Chopticon this past summer, so eight or nine years ago.
It was when LD still had a woman as principal.
My sons problem was named Lil Malik..

glhs837

Power with Control
Luckily, my boy is a big boy and never had to worry about it. He sort of spread an umbrella over some of his STEM friends:)

black dog

Free America
Luckily, my boy is a big boy and never had to worry about it. He sort of spread an umbrella over some of his STEM friends:)

It's a good thing to have a big man in your gaggle, my kid didn't sprout until high school, now he's 6'1" 195.... If you see him running or hiking with a full ruck around Leonardtown, beep at him and yell, PICK UP THE PACE... MARCH 4TH IS COMING...