Pre-Workout Supplement for over 50

PsyOps

Pixelated
I've been taking the Athlean X supplements - pre, post, and before bed supplements for a while now. Suddenly I noticed that about an hour after I take the pre-workout drink I get the craps. going through the typical process of elimination, I narrowed it down to the pre-workout powder. It has a lot of magnesium in it. Doing some research for something more appropriate for my age (over 50) I'm finding anything I read with suspicion that they are trying to sell me their product.

So, for you older workout buffs, do you have a recommendation for a pre-workout supplement?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've been taking the Athlean X supplements - pre, post, and before bed supplements for a while now. Suddenly I noticed that about an hour after I take the pre-workout drink I get the craps. going through the typical process of elimination, I narrowed it down to the pre-workout powder. It has a lot of magnesium in it. Doing some research for something more appropriate for my age (over 50) I'm finding anything I read with suspicion that they are trying to sell me their product.

So, for you older workout buffs, do you have a recommendation for a pre-workout supplement?

Beer!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's wrong with a cup of oatmeal and two scrambled eggs? Why not just eat real food instead of powder?

(That's a real question that I'm genuinely asking.)

warneckutz

Pre-workout with food in the stomach will usually put you in the crapper. Some pre-workouts just put certain people on the crapper no matter when they take it...

Could always take an ECA stack if you're bold enough and in good health.

MR47930

Best pre-workout I've ever taken is taking the coffee that's left in the pot at the end of the day, putting it on ice and chugging it down. All that concentrated caffeine really peps you up for a workout without all of the other chemicals that come from a pre workout powder.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What's wrong with a cup of oatmeal and two scrambled eggs? Why not just eat real food instead of powder?

(That's a real question that I'm genuinely asking.)

There are a lot of nutrients that are in pre-workout powders that don't exist in eggs and oatmeal, like:

Niacin
Creatine
Beta Alanine

... just to name a few. It's designed to provide the right amount and type of energy for muscle growth during muscle stress. Trust me, it's not all I'm ingesting. I have a full, well-rounded, and clean diet.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Pre-workout with food in the stomach will usually put you in the crapper. Some pre-workouts just put certain people on the crapper no matter when they take it...

Good point. This seems mostly a problem when I workout in the morning, after I've had a pretty big breakfast. This is less likely a problem when I workout in the afternoon. My work schedule dictates this.

PsyOps

Pixelated

I'm not familiar with ECA stack. Did a quick Wiki on it and it appears to be more for weight loss using a bunch of stimulant drugs. I don't think that's for me.

warneckutz

Good point. This seems mostly a problem when I workout in the morning, after I've had a pretty big breakfast. This is less likely a problem when I workout in the afternoon. My work schedule dictates this.

Pre-workout formulas never seem to mix well with food... ever. Hahaha

I'm not familiar with ECA stack. Did a quick Wiki on it and it appears to be more for weight loss using a bunch of stimulant drugs. I don't think that's for me.

It's good for a boost and appetite supressant: Ephedrine (just know wear to buy), Caffeine (coffee) and Aspirin... I've had less jitters from that than some of the energy supps out there.

Redcon1 makes one called "Silencer" - stim-free and it works pretty well.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
It's good for a boost and appetite supressant: Ephedrine (just know wear to buy), Caffeine (coffee) and Aspirin... I've had less jitters from that than some of the energy supps out there.

Redcon1 makes one called "Silencer" - stim-free and it works pretty well.

The original OEP was the shiat back in the day. Too bad a bunch of dummies can't read labels and ruined it for everyone else.

warneckutz

There were a couple of soldiers that were mixing Jack3d with OEP (on the same days) and ended up dead from cardiac arrest.

The original Jack3d was pretty potent... I can't remember the details but something close to meth or something like that. :lol:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why go all fancy smancy? In the service we never ate before breakfast. Do our workout then a five miler or so. After finishing, shower up, change into uniform, then to chow for a normal breakfast. Did just fine After a workout now, when I get hungry, I just eat normal natural high bioavailable foods. ie, non-processed. Like eggs with real butter etc. No sense in making it complicated. But if you want to replenish lost electrolytes try Natural Calm Plus Calcium after a work out. Good for the body. But take only after a workout.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Why go all fancy smancy?

There's nothing fancy smancy about supplementing. I've decided to start lifting weights again, get back in shape and stay that way. An ordinary diet just doesn't provide everything I need at 55 to prepare for the workout and recovery from the workout.

warneckutz

There's nothing fancy smancy about supplementing. I've decided to start lifting weights again, get back in shape and stay that way. An ordinary diet just doesn't provide everything I need at 55 to prepare for the workout and recovery from the workout.

Hitting a local gym? Planet Fitness is pretty nice for what it is. I picked up a membership there in addition to my other gym membership. Hopefully it's as well kept in a year or two as it is now.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Hitting a local gym? Planet Fitness is pretty nice for what it is. I picked up a membership there in addition to my other gym membership. Hopefully it's as well kept in a year or two as it is now.

I bought my own home gym rig: power cage, 300lb barbell set, a range of dumbbells, a cable weight universal set, bands, etc... No waiting or putting up with people doing selfies...