Natural sleep aids

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have suffered for years on a very cyclic nature (once a year or so) of waking up in the middle of the night. Usually this passes in about a week or so but this time it is going on three weeks and I am exhausted. Some friends recommended melatonin so I tried it last night. I took one 10 mg tablet about an hour before my normal bed time. Got sleepy and fell asleep easily, but at 3 am I was wide awake. Eventually fell back asleep but couldn't stay asleep more than 15 minutes. Finally gave up trying to sleep around 5 am and am now even more tired.

Anyone have anything else they have tried that works?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyone have anything else they have tried that works?

6 or 8 shots of tequila usually does it for me.

But try Unisom. I've used it when I had trouble sleeping and it doesn't make you feel like crap the next morning.

There's a newer version of Melatonin out that does a 2-step release. One early to get you drifting off and another later to maintain. As opposed to double dosing at bedtime which is actually counterproductive.

Saw it on tv very recently but can't remember the maker.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
But try Unisom. I've used it when I had trouble sleeping and it doesn't make you feel like crap the next morning.

Thanks. I looked them up and there are actually two formulas now: one using Diphenhydramine HCl (which my body doesn't like) and one with Doxylamine Succinate.

Doxylamine Succinate

The active ingredient used in Unisom SleepTabs® is clinically proven to help you fall asleep 33% faster. It works like diphenhydramine HCl, but instead of just blocking histamine, doxylamine succinate also blocks acetylcholine, which causes you to get drowsy and fall asleep. Unisom is the only leading over-the-counter sleep aid brand that uses this fast-acting sleep ingredient.

I may try this one.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I eat these by the handfuls. The recommended dosage doesn't do a thing for me. I've gone for a few months and not needed them, with no problems, but having trouble sleeping the past week. I also need some kind of background noise, so I always fall asleep to the tv. Can't stop the wheels from turning. https://www.target.com/p/vitafusion...evice=c&querystring=chewable melatonin&gclid=[*GCLID*]&gclsrc=ds

I stopped in Target last night and that is where I got the melatonin. I may go back and try these. A lower dose of melatonin but from what I have read that's all you should need. Thanks!

And I always sleep with a noisy fan on to overcome the permanent ringing in the ears I have.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

black dog

Free America
Are you tired at bed time? If not maybe more exercise is in order.
I'm not big on pills myself but a few years ago I couldn't sleep and I took one of my roomies 10 mg Ambien's,. I woke up about 14 hours later.

My dad uses a single malt or two...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Are you tired at bed time? If not maybe more exercise is in order.
I'm not big on pills myself but a few years ago I couldn't sleep and I took one of my roomies 10 mg Ambien's,. I woke up about 14 hours later.

My dad uses a single malt or two...

I have no trouble falling asleep as I am dog-tired by the time my head hits the pillow. It is the staying asleep part that is the problem. :lol:

Neither Ambien nor drinking alcohol are an option. I have heard horror stories about Ambien's side effects like sleepwalking and I don't drink.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
This is true, thought about telling her, but in light of today's sexual allegations for the most minor of things, I chose to keep quiet.

I'll come visit ya in jail, buddy... :buddies:

Dats why I use a nom de plume.