"The Crushing Burden of Debt"

transporter

That's the title of the section that begins on page 19 of this document: https://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/pathtoprosperityfy2012.pdf

The name on the front of the document, the guy who was so anti-debt, is the same guy who is now Speaker of the House...the same guy who almost got orgasmic when he gaveled in the horrible tax cut legislation (adding $1.5+T to the deficit/debt) and last weeks' budget bill (adding hundreds of billions more to the deficit/debt).

There are only two basic components of a budget...(I know...most of you don't understand this)...revenue and spending. Everything else is a subset of revenue and spending.

We just massively reduced revenue and significantly increased spending while in a period of sustained positive economic growth with low unemployment and low inflation.

Do any of you understand how utterly stupid these policies are?? (I know GURPS and Gilligan can't...for if they did they would have to admit to the basic macroeconomic truths of the need to increase revenue during good times in order to cover the increased spending needed during bad times.)

Can any of you see the bigger picture??? Obviously our Speaker of the House (the guy who put his name on the attached document) doesn't--did he ever? We know our President doesn't (he couldn't be more incompetent on this issue). Did Pelosi even mention the fiscal insanity in her 8 hour talk?The only one who actually seems to get it in DC is Rand Paul.

All of you who b!tch about China owning our debt...who do you think is going to buy a big chunk of the $1T of new debt we are going to have to issue every year now?

All of you who b!tch about throwing money at education not solving the problem. WTF will a $700 billion defense budget solve? Is any of that money earmarked for the VA?

PS. Do any of you think there is any money left to fix our roads and bridges??? If so, where exactly do you think it will come from???

PPS. When the next recession hits...what fiscal options will we have? Here's a hint...none...we are in the midst of massive (unneeded) stimulus now...there won't be any more gas in the tank.

But hey...keep burying your heads in the sand...keep reading dailycaller and redstate...keep watching Fox...keep trolling "libprogs" and b!tching about irrelevant people doing irrelevant things or complaining about whatever townhall tells you to complain about or blindly defending and indefensible President...it is easier than actually thinking...isn't it!

SamSpade

I continue to be hugely amused by anyone on the left SUDDENLY concerned with spending too much - something they not only have never been concerned about in my lifetime but have actively campaigned AGAINST.
As in, big deficits are no big deal. As in the very reason the very first LONG government shutdown happened - a sitting President refused to work towards a balanced budget.
They've all arrived so very late to the party, you have to wonder why it suddenly became important.

I'll admit freely - I'm not happy about it. But it's the only way to get Democrats on board - promise them reckless spending so they'll be happy.
What is amusing is this idiocy that such additional spending is somehow destructive - something they have ALWAYS been in favor of.
If a single one of them were principled about running up a massive debt, you'd hear at least ONE OF THEM bitching about it = spending too much money.

Again - I will hold my breath.

limblips

PREMO Member
When Trumps national debt increase nears obama's I'll begin to worry. Meanwhile, I will enjoy my tax break and my stock market.

Hijinx

That's the title of the section that begins on page 19 of this document: https://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/pathtoprosperityfy2012.pdf

The name on the front of the document, the guy who was so anti-debt, is the same guy who is now Speaker of the House...the same guy who almost got orgasmic when he gaveled in the horrible tax cut legislation (adding $1.5+T to the deficit/debt) and last weeks' budget bill (adding hundreds of billions more to the deficit/debt).

There are only two basic components of a budget...(I know...most of you don't understand this)...revenue and spending. Everything else is a subset of revenue and spending.

We just massively reduced revenue and significantly increased spending while in a period of sustained positive economic growth with low unemployment and low inflation.

Do any of you understand how utterly stupid these policies are?? (I know GURPS and Gilligan can't...for if they did they would have to admit to the basic macroeconomic truths of the need to increase revenue during good times in order to cover the increased spending needed during bad times.)

Can any of you see the bigger picture??? Obviously our Speaker of the House (the guy who put his name on the attached document) doesn't--did he ever? We know our President doesn't (he couldn't be more incompetent on this issue). Did Pelosi even mention the fiscal insanity in her 8 hour talk?The only one who actually seems to get it in DC is Rand Paul.

All of you who b!tch about China owning our debt...who do you think is going to buy a big chunk of the $1T of new debt we are going to have to issue every year now?

All of you who b!tch about throwing money at education not solving the problem. WTF will a $700 billion defense budget solve? Is any of that money earmarked for the VA?

PS. Do any of you think there is any money left to fix our roads and bridges??? If so, where exactly do you think it will come from???

PPS. When the next recession hits...what fiscal options will we have? Here's a hint...none...we are in the midst of massive (unneeded) stimulus now...there won't be any more gas in the tank.

But hey...keep burying your heads in the sand...keep reading dailycaller and redstate...keep watching Fox...keep trolling "libprogs" and b!tching about irrelevant people doing irrelevant things or complaining about whatever townhall tells you to complain about or blindly defending and indefensible President...it is easier than actually thinking...isn't it!

You buried you head for 8 freaking years now---NOW you want to sh1t yourself over debt.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Do any of you understand how utterly stupid these policies are?? (I know GURPS and Gilligan can't ... for if they did they would have to admit to the basic macroeconomic truths of the need to increase revenue during good times in order to cover the increased spending needed during bad times.)

:yahoo:

Living Large ........
I didn't see any of this in 8 yrs of Obama ERA Continuing Resolutions ...
How about we do away with Base Line Budgeting and AUTOMATIC Raises to Entitlements, because frankly sugar tits, this is a drop in the bucket and I Don't Give A #### for You Mewling

But hey ... keep burying your heads in the sand .. .keep reading dailycaller and redstate ... keep watching Fox .. .keep trolling "libprogs" and b!tching about irrelevant people doing irrelevant things or complaining about whatever townhall tells you to complain about or blindly defending and indefensible President ... it is easier than actually thinking ... isn't it!

Right Sure Thing Toe Jam .... it is all Buried by 'right wing news'

I continue to be hugely amused by anyone on the left SUDDENLY concerned with spending too much - something they not only have never been concerned about in my lifetime but have actively campaigned AGAINST.

:yeahthat:

here is some 'right wing news' critical of the Budget ....

Our National Debt And Government Spending Are A Moral Abomination

Congress has returned to doing what it loves most: spending money we don’t have. Increased spending in the latest bipartisan budget deal, along with the recent Republican tax cuts, will vastly increase the deficit.

Principled conservatives objected, but were ignored in the scramble to give the American people what they want: more government spending without having to pay for it. Both parties are happy to deliver. With some worthy exceptions, Republicans who had bitterly criticized the “Obama deficits” are now eagerly embracing enormous Trump deficits.

This is sinful, but few people think of government deficits in such terms. This is not due to any reticence about political moralizing per se. Much of our political discourse now consists of dismissing our opponents as moral monsters and declaring “I’m better than you.” Why, in this atmosphere, is deficit spending one of the few issues about which more moralizing might be in order?

Drain The Swamp? Congress Agrees To Two-Year, $300 BILLION DOLLAR Budget Deal

If such an expansion sounds . . . well . . . insane . . . both parties are to thank. In return for an increase of $80 billion per year in defense spending, Republicans agreed to $70 billion per year in increased non-defense spending. The latter includes massive new programs to fight opioid abuse, improve transportation and infrastructure, and additional funding for disaster relief projects already receiving money under emergency funding bills passed over the summer.

There's even a new panel created (and funded) under the bill to overhaul the budget process itself, presumably to make these dramatic spending increases less public.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And it completely demolishes any notion of fiscal responsibility. The budget amounts to $4.4 trillion. It’s an Obama-level budget. And it guarantees a deficit of $832 billion in 2018, $984 billion in 2019, $987 billion in 2020, $916 billion in 2021, $908 billion in 2022, and $778 billion in 2023. For those counting at home, that’s $5.4 trillion added to the national debt by 2023. For the next decade, we’d increase the debt by $7.2 trillion. If you include the government spending passed just last week, we’re looking at $1.2 trillion in debt this year alone.

The budget contains blowout spending for infrastructure – some $200 billion for such funding, even though the vast majority of infrastructure funding should come from the states. He wants another $13 billion for combating the opioid epidemic, $23 billion for border security. The budget does nothing to tackle the real drivers of the national debt: Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security. And the budget says nothing about changing Obamacare; in fact, it includes a plan to send $1.6 trillion in federal subsidies to the states to combat the effects of getting rid of the individual mandate. No wonder Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney, asked on Sunday whether he would have voted for last week’s spending binge, answered, “probably not.” Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), head of the House Freedom Caucus, suggested the budget was dead on arrival: “I am not investing much time critiquing the budget when it has little to do with what Congress actually spends.”

Democrats found a way to be upset with the budget anyway. Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) of the House Budget Committee stated, “The Trump budget proposal makes clear his desire to enact massive cuts to health care, anti-poverty programs, and investments in economic growth to blunt the deficit-exploding impact of his tax cuts for millionaires and corporations.” What’s he talking about? The budget includes proposals to prevent seniors from reaching a point where they can’t pay for their medication, and another proposal to allow those on Medicaid to receive “market-based health-care grants.” The budget also cuts food stamps by making them work-dependent and sending food rather than EBT cards alone to beneficiaries.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27044/trump-2018-budget-projects-trillion-dollar-deficit-ben-shapiro

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The budget also cuts food stamps by sending food rather than EBT cards alone to beneficiaries.

I've always thought this was a better idea than just giving people money. Back when I was in high school and working in the local deli the owner would give $80 cash for the old food stamp booklets that had a $100 value. I'm sure this went on all the time, all over the place. By giving food stuffs, things like rice, beans, peanut butter, powdered milk, etc. people have something to eat. It would be a lot harder to have to resell the food items to get cash. I'm sure some would do it, but not to the level that the booklets were abused. Puts an end to the junk food buying sprees also. And it's also a great incentive to get off the program and become a bit more productive, which at the end of the day is the goal of any welfare program.

This_person

I think we're up to six or seven times now - what spending would you cut to reduce the debt?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
By giving food stuffs, things like rice, beans, peanut butter, powdered milk, etc. people have something to eat. It would be a lot harder to have to resell the food items to get cash.

let them line up every week at the back of a Deuce and a Half and get their bag of Rice, beans, peanut butter

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump budget abandons fiscal conservatism — and so does hypocritical GOP

Remember Republicans’ enduring commitment over most of our lifetimes to eliminate the federal budget deficit and trim the national debt? Well, forget it.

In fact, with the GOP controlling the White House and both houses of Congress, the government this year will likely inflict nearly an additional trillion dollars on the existing $20 trillion national debt. And just like your credit card balance, the total federal obligations will also increase right along with now rising interest rates.

Amazingly after all the promises and pleas for more than two generations, it seems everyone, except maybe a showboat senator making a futile late-night legislative gesture, seems good with such overspending.

This week President Trump unveiled the White House $4.4 trillion budget, which isn’t worth its own printing costs. It includes numerous program cuts and increased military spending.

But White House budgets are always doomed, since Congress thinks it does the annual budgeting, or better said, in recent times fails to do the annual budgeting. But even Trump’s 2019 document anticipates a $984 billion deficit, 48 percent larger than the last complete fiscal year.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/opinion/article199722984.html#storylink=cpy

Hijinx

Trump budget abandons fiscal conservatism — and so does hypocritical GOP

Remember Republicans’ enduring commitment over most of our lifetimes to eliminate the federal budget deficit and trim the national debt? Well, forget it.

In fact, with the GOP controlling the White House and both houses of Congress, the government this year will likely inflict nearly an additional trillion dollars on the existing $20 trillion national debt. And just like your credit card balance, the total federal obligations will also increase right along with now rising interest rates.

Amazingly after all the promises and pleas for more than two generations, it seems everyone, except maybe a showboat senator making a futile late-night legislative gesture, seems good with such overspending.

This week President Trump unveiled the White House $4.4 trillion budget, which isn’t worth its own printing costs. It includes numerous program cuts and increased military spending.

But White House budgets are always doomed, since Congress thinks it does the annual budgeting, or better said, in recent times fails to do the annual budgeting. But even Trump’s 2019 document anticipates a $984 billion deficit, 48 percent larger than the last complete fiscal year.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/opinion/article199722984.html#storylink=cpy

I thought it passed. First budget to get passed in years.

This_person

I thought it passed. First budget to get passed in years.

Twelve appropriations bills, like there are (in modern times) supposed to be, DID pass. They passed the House, and were never even taken up in the Senate. They passed last September - late, but easily made on time for a FY18 budget by October of 17, like it is supposed to work.

We are currently on another psuedo-CR.

Chris0nllyn

The newly released 2019 plan calls for $4.407 trillion of expenditures while forecasting $3.422 trillion in revenue, resulting in an anticipated deficit of just under $1 trillion. The budget forecasts a similar amount of red ink in 2020, followed by declining deficits—but never a budgetary balance—through the rest of the ten-year projection window.

Under Trump's new budget, the White House projects a $363 billion deficit in 2028. However, It only reaches that level by assuming over $1 trillion in unlikely cuts and reforms.

Among the major deficit shrinking proposals in the budget are the repeal and replace of Obamacare, elimination of Overseas Contingency Operations (i.e., ending the endless wars in Afghanistan and elsewhere) and the "two-penny plan" which involves annual unspecified 2 percent reductions in non-defense discretionary spending. These concepts are likely to be dead on arrival in a divided Congress.

The budget offers nothing on entitlement reform and combines increased military spending with new outlays for the President's wall, now that he has finally realized that Mexico won't pay for it.

Trump's new budget includes $686 billion for the Department of Defense—13 percent more than the 2017 level—and matching the amount in the bipartisan spending bill approved Friday morning. But DoD spending is only part of the true cost of America's national security establishment. Spending on Intelligence, the Department of Energy's nuclear stockpile activities and the Veteran's Administration also need to be included. Those additional functions together raise the total defense tab to around $1 trillion annually.

http://reason.com/archives/2018/02/12/trumps-new-budget-plan-is-a-fiscal-disas