WV Dem candidate kicked out of hearing for listing corporate donors

Chris0nllyn

She stood on the floor and read off corporate donors to the legislators moving the legislation — going through the gamut of fossil fuel companies dominant in West Virginia, from Dominion to FirstEnergy.

Republican Delegate John Shott, who was overseeing the hearing, took offense at Lucas’s reading of publicly available campaign finance data, equating it to a personal attack.

“Miss Lucas, we ask no personal comments be made,” he told her over his microphone.

“This is not personal comments,” she replied.

“It is a personal comment and I’m gonna call you out of order if you talk about individuals on the committee. So if you would just address the bill. If not, I’ll ask you to please step down,” he admonished her.

She continued to list off donors, her microphone was cut off, and legislative security was called to remove her from the chamber.
https://theintercept.com/2018/02/12...ate-donors-to-fossil-fuel-friendly-lawmakers/

Video:
https://videopress.com/v/rjuRZxsw

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the list of donors is public information and readily available, why did this person feel the need to take up legislative hearing time by reading it?

Also, I love how she revamped the wording, saying she was accused of making personal attacks rather than personal comments.

And last but not least, clearly this is a cheerleader story for the Democrat Note that they didn't bother to get the other side of the situation, and note the obviously biased language used. No surprise that you, Chris, glommed on and sucked greedily at the Party tit, and now I know where you get your odd fake news ideas and why you never know what's going on in the world.

glhs837

Power with Control
If the list of donors is public information and readily available, why did this person feel the need to take up legislative hearing time by reading it?

Also, I love how she revamped the wording, saying she was accused of making personal attacks rather than personal comments.

And last but not least, clearly this is a cheerleader story for the Democrat Note that they didn't bother to get the other side of the situation, and note the obviously biased language used. No surprise that you, Chris, glommed on and sucked greedily at the Party tit, and now I know where you get your odd fake news ideas and why you never know what's going on in the world.

None of which negates the point that bought and paid for legislation is a problem.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
None of which negates the point that bought and paid for legislation is a problem.

Define "bought and paid for".

WV's industry - and therefore job market - has always depended on fossil fuels. You saw the backlash from the actual people of WV themselves when Hillary crowed that she'd put them all out of work.

Of course the energy companies aren't going to donate to the Democrats who want them put out of business and all their employees on the dole. They'd be foolish to do that.

And certainly the people of WV aren't going to vote for a politician who promises to eliminate their jobs.

I can't believe that anyone listened to this woman read the list of Republican donors and gasped in shock and awe. They certainly know how the economy works in WV, even if Miss Lucas does not.

glhs837

Power with Control
Define "bought and paid for".

WV's industry - and therefore job market - has always depended on fossil fuels. You saw the backlash from the actual people of WV themselves when Hillary crowed that she'd put them all out of work.

Of course the energy companies aren't going to donate to the Democrats who want them put out of business and all their employees on the dole. They'd be foolish to do that.And certainly the people of WV aren't going to vote for a politician who promises to eliminate their jobs.

I can't believe that anyone listened to this woman read the list of Republican donors and gasped in shock and awe. They certainly know how the economy works in WV, even if Miss Lucas does not.

This speaks to the larger point of why politicians need money donated to support a thing that's already in the interests of their constituents. Shouldn't they already be supporting those things?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This speaks to the larger point of why politicians need money donated to support a thing that's already in the interests of their constituents. Shouldn't they already be supporting those things?

They need money for their campaigns and to get the message out. Even if all they do is jump in a bus and make the rounds, that still costs money.

glhs837

Power with Control
They need money for their campaigns and to get the message out. Even if all they do is jump in a bus and make the rounds, that still costs money.

Then let them get it from citizens. Not corporations. Hundred bucks a pop. Anyone caught giving others that hundred to donate gets jail time.

Starman

Then let them get it from citizens. Not corporations. Hundred bucks a pop. Anyone caught giving others that hundred to donate gets jail time.

I can get behind this. I've never seen a corporation in a wheelchair -- they are not humans, they must not vote. But the more corporations pay in taxes, they will tend to want to have a say in how that money is spent.

I don't think corporations should pay taxes either. If we must tax income, tax the income of the humans who run those corporations, and nothing more. Then those humans can donate up to $100 (or whatever a reasonable limit is) of the income they have generated and that is it.

SamSpade

I don't think corporations should pay taxes either.

I - generally - don't either. My brother teaches his students that rubric we've heard before, that corporate tax pretty much just taxes the rest of us as consumers.
Raise taxes on corporations and they just pass on the cost to us.

But I also know people with small businesses who can spend rather freely because it's a "business expense".
I imagine corporations do the same - and without the concern of taxation, they can spend money that a single person
would have to set aside for taxes.

However it's still the same - we either pay it or we don't. It's still just a tax on the rest of us.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Take it up with the election commission. Corporations have always been allowed to donate to political campaigns. I don't see why this is different.