The Obama's Official Portraits

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Hmmm.

President Obama chose Kehinde Wiley as his painter. Wiley’s style is described as: Yale University-trained painter famous for his depiction of African-Americans posed in the style of Old Master paintings, regal, formal and filled with pops of color.

BarackO.jpg

He looks like he's in a jungle. :ohwell:

An official portrait of former first lady Michelle Obama was unveiled at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery Monday morning. The painting was done by Baltimore artist Amy Sherald, who is known for her social justice painting style.

michelleO.jpg

No kidding. She looks like she's wearing a blanket. :rolleyes:

Starman

The title is misleading. These aren't official portraits. Those will hang at the White House. These will hang, as the citation states, at the NPG in their Hall of Portraits. But the headline is wrong.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The title is misleading. These aren't official portraits. Those will hang at the White House. These will hang, as the citation states, at the NPG in their Hall of Portraits. But the headline is wrong.

Really? :rolleyes:

An official portrait of former first lady Michelle Obama was unveiled at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery Monday morning.
http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/12/michelle-obama-official-portrait-reaction/

The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery unveiled their official portraits of former president Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama. How closely do you think they resemble the Obamas? USA TODAY. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...unveiled-national-portrait-gallery/328924002/

WASHINGTON — With the unveiling here Monday at the National Portrait Galleryof the official presidential likenesses of Barack Obama and the former first lady, Michelle Obama https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/arts/design/obama-portrait.html

Barack and Michelle Obama’s official portraits were revealed Monday morning at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery, where they will hang along with portraits of every past US president. https://www.vox.com/2018/2/12/17003806/obamas-official-portraits-unveiled-national-gallery-reaction

:coffee:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Is that poison ivy he's sitting in (he asked wishfully) ?

That is exactly what I said to hub, and it looks like it is growing up his legs. I just can’t imagine that the Obamas are happy with these portraits. Or, maybe, they are. :shrug:

Edit: Now that I think more about it, the Obamas did want to fundamentally change America. That prob explains the portraits, and the artists who painted them.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
A jungle.

Which sums up his legacy. His portrait does seem appropriate in that respect, and to think it might not have been intentional. :lol: The more I think about this, the Obamas would have to approve of these portraits, right? If so, what were they thinking?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Now they are a joke for all see in perpetuity as a reflection of the black race small mindedness, shallowness. In addition to soiling the office of the Presidency by not having the forethought to appearing presidential or as a thoughtful leader. Which of course he, and she, was neither anyway. At least for our lifetimes, and that of future generations, there will be something to laugh at, and to be used as a warning to NOT repeat history. Maybe next year these can be moved to the National Museum of American History?

SamSpade

They're a bit strange.

But at least Barack's picture LOOKS like him - if you saw the painting without references, you'd know it was him.

When I first saw the Michelle painting, I had no idea who it was, even though after eight years, I can spot
her face in a cold second. I do kind of think that a good painting should at least accomplish THAT - it
should LOOK like the subject.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Michelle's portrait doesn't do her justice. I hope she likes it because this is the portrait that will represent her through the ages.