Dishonest 5 Guys cashiers

Forkian

More than once at the 5 Guys in St.Mary's I have been asked to pay more than what was on the receipt. The scam they run is to charge you for your burger, fries and drink. But they don't enter the drink in the register and pocket that money. When you ask, they say "oops, I just made a mistake" but you paid the right amount so "it's all good".

glhs837

Power with Control
More than once at the 5 Guys in St.Mary's I have been asked to pay more than what was on the receipt. The scam they run is to charge you for your burger, fries and drink. But they don't enter the drink in the register and pocket that money. When you ask, they say "oops, I just made a mistake" but you paid the right amount so "it's all good".

Seems that a call to whatever the customer hotline is should get things right. The guy on the register cannot make to correlation between sodas sold and amount of syrup/CO2 used, but you can be sure once triggered, the bean counters will make the connection.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did this really happen? Because this exact same thing supposedly happened at a number of different businesses all over the United States, yet with most modern registers the customer can clearly see what is being rung up and the total.

Forkian

Did this really happen? Because this exact same thing supposedly happened at a number of different businesses all over the United States, yet with most modern registers the customer can clearly see what is being rung up and the total.

Yep. The receipt has a different total and no mention of a drink, even though they hand you a cup. I think they take notice if you are about to pay with cash instead of card.

PeoplesElbow

Twice now? How often do you eat there?

I think this is BS because it assumes that the person is fast enough on their feet to tell you the correct amount and be able to figure up the change in their head as well as pocket the money without anyone noticing.

That would also be them having to make two different mistakes, the first on them not ringing up a drink and the second giving you an incorrect amount. The first mistake is pretty possible, but not the second.

I think this is BS because it assumes that the person is fast enough on their feet to tell you the correct amount and be able to figure up the change in their head as well as pocket the money without anyone noticing.

The price of a burger fries and drink are pretty consistent. After a while you know what it will be without having to ring it up. All the calcs are repeated all day long and known ahead of time.

PeoplesElbow

The price of a burger fries and drink are pretty consistent. After a while you know what it will be without having to ring it up. All the calcs are repeated all day long and known ahead of time.

They never know how much cash you will give them though.

glhs837

Power with Control
They never know how much cash you will give them though.

Back when I ran a register at 84 Lumber I could do change on the fly and I was processing far fewer transactions a day than a Five Guys counter jockey. A massive majority of people are going to hand you whole dollars. Or a the nearest combo of fives and tens. Do this 10-15 times a day, not a bad bit of change.

Starman

How many people carry cash? I think cash is king, but I can't tell you the last time I saw someone pay cash in a fast food place. Doesn't everyone live on credit?