Feeding The Poor

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Or, what should be on that grocery list? What would be on your grocery list, if you were receiving government assistance? Keeping in mind, that you have to make this last for a month-is that right? I've never been on govt assistance.

My list would be something like this:

Fresh produce: Potatoes, tomatoes, celery, onion.
Meats: 3 whole chickens. 3 lbs ground beef, small ham, 3 cans of tuna.
Canned fruits and veggies. Dried beans, uncooked rice.
Gal milk, lb butter, tub o' lard, block of cheddar, 2 doz eggs.

Now, I've probably gone over my budget, but my list would look something like that.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or, what should be on that grocery list? What would be on your grocery list, if you were receiving government assistance? Keeping in mind, that you have to make this last for a month-is that right? I've never been on govt assistance.

My list would be something like this:

Fresh produce: Potatoes, tomatoes, celery, onion.
Meats: 3 whole chickens. 3 lbs ground beef, small ham, 3 cans of tuna.
Canned fruits and veggies. Dried beans, uncooked rice.
Gal milk, lb butter, tub o' lard, block of cheddar, 2 doz eggs.

Now, I've probably gone over my budget, but my list would look something like that.

Go make a few cycles through the register at the St Mary Sqaure Weis on Independance card reloading day........... pretty sure you wont see many carts loaded down like that.......

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Go make a few cycles through the register at the St Mary Sqaure Weis on Independance card reloading day........... pretty sure you wont see many carts loaded down like that.......

Crap. I forgot to buy bread and toilet paper.

black dog

Free America

Yep... you forgot 10 bags of Doritos, chips, a cart full of 2 liter Cokes and Mountian Dews, Cookies, sugar cereal, T bones, shrimp and a kid in dirty clothes hanging off the front of the cart.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep... you forgot 10 bags of Doritos, chips, a cart full of 2 liter Cokes and Mountian Dews, Cookies, sugar cereal, T bones, shrimp and a kid in dirty clothes hanging off the front of the cart.

And thats just to pay for the nails.

I'm waiting for the government box to be delivered to my door. I don't have to make any lists or choices.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sooo... will an Independence card not accept certain items being rung up?

Here's the list.

Food stamps cannot be used to buy:

any nonfood item, such as pet foods; soaps, paper products, and household supplies; grooming items, toothpaste, and cosmetics
alcoholic beverages and tobacco
vitamins and medicines
hot foods that are ready to eat

black dog

Free America
Sooo... will an Independence card not accept certain items being rung up?

Yes, in most cases it will not allow hot food. but if you want jumbo cold shrimp and a few 2" thick Porterhouses to toss on the grill you are good to go..
I ####ing squirm when I go through the line at the grocery store...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I’m thinking just ship them MRE’s. If they are good enough for our soldiers they should be good enough for everyone.....

glhs837

Power with Control
I’m thinking just ship them MRE’s. If they are good enough for our soldiers they should be good enough for everyone.....

and the upside is that MREs are designed to met the caloric needs of people performing strenuous work, so we can get these people moving :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ground beef, eggs, chicken
Rice, dry beans, potatoes, oatmeal
Apples, oranges, bananas
Fresh or canned vegetables, including corn
2 lbs cheese, their choice
Bread, buns, tortillas
Butter, mayo, ketchup, mustard
Milk
Frozen juice

You can actually eat pretty well on a budget if you're not wasting your food bucks on chips and snack cakes.

Chris0nllyn

I remember my girlfriend (now wife) sharing an apartment living off Ramen Noodles. We'd mix hot sauce, cheese, and all kinds of #### in there just to make it seem like a different meal.

Amazing how things change in a few short years.

black dog

Free America
I remember my girlfriend (now wife) sharing an apartment living off Ramen Noodles. We'd mix hot sauce, cheese, and all kinds of #### in there just to make it seem like a different meal.

Amazing how things change in a few short years.

Just think, A few more years and you'll be a Conservative.

black dog

Free America
What does being a Conservative mean to you?

In a nutshell, here's my answer for the most part.
I’m a conservative because I believe in conserving things. Those things that have proven throughout history to be what’s best for the human condition this side of eternity. Those things which are based in the ‘Laws of Nature and Nature’s God’ as our founding document puts it. The Declaration of Independence, which is the mission statement for America. And these things are what’s best for all of us regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity, because we’re all made in the image of the same God — from whom our rights come.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What does being a Libertarian mean to you?

Smoking pot anywhere/everywhere...apparently. I have not gleaned much else from his posts. Not sure where he stands on the Libertarian support for the whole man-boy love thing...

CRHS89

It bugs me when people talk about not being able to survive on the food stamp allotment. It is the SUPPLEMENTAL Nutrition Assistance Program, meaning its intent is to supplement what you already spend on food. It is not meant to be the sole source of paying for all of your food.