Trump gas tax

transporter

Multiple reports are stating that our incompetent President is backing a 25 cent gas tax hike:

President Trump tried Wednesday to persuade his fellow Republicans to raise the gas tax. In a closed-door meeting on infrastructure with members of both parties, Trump pitched the idea of a 25-cent increase in the gas tax, which hasn't been raised since 1993.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-hike-in-the-gas-tax/?utm_term=.c2a777c94bce (don't like Wapo--mainly because Fox tells you not to--then go find another source there are lots of them)

Can the blind cultists see the bigger picture?? Unlikely....

In December, Dear Leader and fiscally deaf Republican leadership pass a massive tax cut bill aimed directly at the top 1-10%. It also is projected to blow a $1.5T hole in the budget.

Jan - Feb: All the cultists and ignorati get all excited because a few large corporation extend one time $1000 bonuses to their employees.

Early Feb: Fiscally deaf Republicans in concert with fiscally deaf Democrats pass and our incompetent President signs a budget deal that adds another $300-500 billion to budget deficit over the next two years.

Mid Feb: Incompetent President backs a 25 cent per gallon gas tax increase which, if passed and enacted, would erase $200+ of that one time $1000 bonus. Of course the 147-148 million American workers who are not getting bonuses will be worse off immediately AND the 2-3 million American workers who ONLY got a ONE TIME bonus will be worse off next year. But average workers and average families are not and never have been the focus of this administration. While the average Joe and the small business that relies of vehicles to run its business will get killed, a 25 cent gas tax means nothing to the top 1%...their income tax cut was MUCH larger than the average Joe's.

Now...how would a sane leader approached all of this:

1. No tax cuts...or minor tax cuts spread out over a number of years.

2. The budget deal would not have included large spending increases on anything.

3. Infrastructure should have been the first thing done in early 2017 (you know instead of the Muslim ban)...and we should be working on entitlement reform (which is an ACTUAL problem instead of the made for Fox TV immigration problem.)

4. Raising the gas tax to generate funds for infrastructure does make sense...but it should be spread out over a number of years to lessen the impact on the average family.

As noted before, this in not rocket science--well entitlement reform is going to take some really smart people to solve but the general concepts and priorities really aren't that difficult to understand, unless your sources of information are nothing more than propaganda outlets.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Didn’t hear you bitchin’ when O’Malley raised our gas tax and put a sales tax on top of that.....equaled about 29 cents a gallon

Not to mention all the other taxes, tolls and fees.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Didn’t hear you bitchin’ when O’Malley raised our gas tax and put a sales tax on top of that.....equaled about 29 cents a gallon

That reminds me. I have to jump across the bridge and fill up with Murphy's diesel. I swear that stuff gives me better mileage than any I've bought locally. I more than offset the toll with my tobacco purchases. :yay:

Hijinx

Multiple reports are stating that our incompetent President is backing a 25 cent gas tax hike:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-hike-in-the-gas-tax/?utm_term=.c2a777c94bce (don't like Wapo--mainly because Fox tells you not to--then go find another source there are lots of them)

In December, Dear Leader and fiscally deaf Republican leadership pass a massive tax cut bill aimed directly at the top 1-10%. It also is projected to blow a $1.5T hole in the budget.

Jan - Feb: All the cultists and ignorati get all excited because a few large corporation extend one time $1000 bonuses to their employees.

Early Feb: Fiscally deaf Republicans in concert with fiscally deaf Democrats pass and our incompetent President signs a budget deal that adds another $300-500 billion to budget deficit over the next two years.

Mid Feb: Incompetent President backs a 25 cent per gallon gas tax increase which, if passed and enacted, would erase $200+ of that one time $1000 bonus. Of course the 147-148 million American workers who are not getting bonuses will be worse off immediately AND the 2-3 million American workers who ONLY got a ONE TIME bonus will be worse off next year. But average workers and average families are not and never have been the focus of this administration. While the average Joe and the small business that relies of vehicles to run its business will get killed, a 25 cent gas tax means nothing to the top 1%...their income tax cut was MUCH larger than the average Joe's.

Now...how would a sane leader approached all of this:

1. No tax cuts...or minor tax cuts spread out over a number of years.

2. The budget deal would not have included large spending increases on anything.

3. Infrastructure should have been the first thing done in early 2017 (you know instead of the Muslim ban)...and we should be working on entitlement reform (which is an ACTUAL problem instead of the made for Fox TV immigration problem.)

4. Raising the gas tax to generate funds for infrastructure does make sense...but it should be spread out over a number of years to lessen the impact on the average family.

As noted before, this in not rocket science--well entitlement reform is going to take some really smart people to solve but the general concepts and priorities really aren't that difficult to understand, unless your sources of information are nothing more than propaganda outlets.

If Trump supports a gas tax bill. That's one Bill the Democrats won't argue against.

This_person

In December, Dear Leader and fiscally deaf Republican leadership pass a massive tax cut bill aimed directly at the top 1-10%.

So, the gas tax is not a percentage-based tax that fluctuates with prices. It is not modified for inflation. The push has been on for many years to reduce gas usage through the use of public transportation, car-pooling, and increased overall gas mileage of vehicles. Meanwhile, the cost of what the tax is intended to be used for has gone up.

While I do not support a rise in the tax (more I prefer a more efficient use of the funds it raises), there is a pretty logical reason for it. Again, I am NOT in favor of raising the tax, but it is not incompetence but rather the easy solution.

Meanwhile, the tax reduction from income was aimed at everything over about $25,000/year income, with about the first $25,000/year not being taxed at all. This ignorant, uninformed, or more likely blatantly-dishonest claim that the tax cut was "aimed directly at the top 1-10%" is so old and easily verified false that you really need to stop making it.

SamSpade

We have a consumer driven economy. Would that it were not so, but public spending is what makes a lot of it move.
Letting people keep more of their own money helps the economy.

As the old expression goes, if you're the government and you want more revenue, don't take a bigger piece of the pie - make the pie bigger.
It's still early to tell, but the idea of a tax cut is to spur growth. Even as I detest Keynesian economics, the gist of it to spend when it's bad
and save when it's good. We will have to see if the cut pushes the economy.

I find it ironic that with all the bellyaching about the tax cut from the left, the first thing any administration does during an economic downturn
is find a way to get more money back to the people. Somehow, when Obama cut the payroll tax and the right said it was trivial, the left
made a big deal of how out of touch they were and how forty bucks a paycheck was a lot to the average American. It's completely switched
now - a thousand dollar bonus - or more - is considered chump change when delivered back to the tax payer. Except this complaint now
comes from the left.

Chris0nllyn

It says transporter's join date was Aug 2017. If O'Malley left office in 2015, I'd suspect you wouldn't hear them bitchin'.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

except it WASN'T a Muslim BAN and 25 Million Illegal Mexicans suck billions out of this country in the form of entitlements that need reformed

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... the left made a big deal of how out of touch they were and how forty bucks a paycheck was a lot to the average American. It's completely switched now - a thousand dollar bonus - or more - is considered chump change when delivered back to the tax payer.

OH But Sam ... the $40 is per paycheck [or month], the $ 1000 is a ONE TIME shot :sarcasm:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wouldn't believe #### the WashPo says. How many times do they have to lie and promote fake stories with "anonymous sources" before you'll stop taking their word for it?

Chris0nllyn

Really Chris .... you think 2 random people would be spitting the same exact vitriol in Style and Substance

Kyle and Gilligan have similar forum posting styles, can I assume they are the same?

..identical. Right down to the "fling poo and run away" posting style.

Anyone can click on your post posts and see you certainly are guilty of that style also. Are you really transporter?

Why? You believe that President Trump is a Russian spy with no proof. Since when did proof become something you're interested in?

You and I both know I never said that and that you have no proof of that (because, newsflash, I don't believe that).

You know why we both know that? Because you'll never, ever, be able to find a post from me that backs up your ridiculous assertion. I'm sure Gil appreciates you stepping in, but try being a little less ridiculous next time.