Here's The Truth About Trump Revoking Gun Checks On The 'Mentally Ill'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
While pushing such rash, broad and frequently unspecified "gun laws," leftists have slammed President Donald Trump for eliminating a proposed Obama-era regulation which allegedly stopped the "mentally ill" from legally obtaining firearms.

See genius CNN anchor Chris Cuomo's tweet for a perfect example:

are you aware that one of the regulations you got rid of made it more difficult for mentally ill to get guns? https://t.co/r5lRKZHhnd

— Christopher C. Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) February 15, 2018

This is a major distortion of reality; a cynical way of falsely tying the evil actions of one man onto the president and Republican lawmakers in the ultimate pursuit of gun control measures.

The proposed rule was seriously broad, revoking Second and Fourth Amendment rights of tens of thousands of Americans, based merely on the fact that they received assistance in managing their disability payments from Social Security. The rule was rightly repealed by Congressional Republicans and President Trump.

As noted by Scott Shackford at Reason magazine, "This is a regulation that potentially deprived between 75,000 to 80,000 people of a right based not on what they had done but on the basis of being classified by the government in a certain way. The fact that these people may have these impairments did not inherently mean that they were dangerous to themselves or others and needed to be kept away from guns."

Hijinx

While pushing such rash, broad and frequently unspecified "gun laws," leftists have slammed President Donald Trump for eliminating a proposed Obama-era regulation which allegedly stopped the "mentally ill" from legally obtaining firearms.

See genius CNN anchor Chris Cuomo's tweet for a perfect example:

are you aware that one of the regulations you got rid of made it more difficult for mentally ill to get guns? https://t.co/r5lRKZHhnd

— Christopher C. Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) February 15, 2018

This is a major distortion of reality; a cynical way of falsely tying the evil actions of one man onto the president and Republican lawmakers in the ultimate pursuit of gun control measures.

The proposed rule was seriously broad, revoking Second and Fourth Amendment rights of tens of thousands of Americans, based merely on the fact that they received assistance in managing their disability payments from Social Security. The rule was rightly repealed by Congressional Republicans and President Trump.

As noted by Scott Shackford at Reason magazine, "This is a regulation that potentially deprived between 75,000 to 80,000 people of a right based not on what they had done but on the basis of being classified by the government in a certain way. The fact that these people may have these impairments did not inherently mean that they were dangerous to themselves or others and needed to be kept away from guns."

I have told that idiot Tranny this 2 times now but she refuses to understand it.

transporter

I have told that idiot Tranny this 2 times now but she refuses to understand it.

You f***ing morons...the regulation was designed to keep guns out of the hands of people who mentally ill. YES or NO?

The President signed a bill repealing the law designed to attempt to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill? Yes or No?

The President after Las Vegas, after Parkland said the issue was mental illness correct? Yes or no?

The President will use the same mental illness excuse after the next mass shooting? Yes or no?

GURPS asinine article says that that keeping firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill impacts 2a rights of those people. Are you f***ing kidding me? The very same people YOU and our incompetent President say we need to stop, YOU want to allow to own firearms? Keeping guns out of the hands of people who are certified BY THEIR OWN doctor as mentally ill is the whole damned point!!

YOU two dumbasses continually point out that 33,000 gun deaths are "mainly suicides" (as if that is some kind of excuse)...well who the f*** do you think shoots themselves in the head!!! NORMAL SANE RATIONAL people!?!?!?!

Something like 90% of Americans want the mentally ill to not have access to firearms...the only opponent to this concept is the political lobby of the NRA.

Hijinx

You f***ing morons...the regulation was designed to keep guns out of the hands of people who mentally ill. YES or NO?

The President signed a bill repealing the law designed to attempt to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill? Yes or No?

The President after Las Vegas, after Parkland said the issue was mental illness correct? Yes or no?

The President will use the same mental illness excuse after the next mass shooting? Yes or no?

GURPS asinine article says that that keeping firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill impacts 2a rights of those people. Are you f***ing kidding me? The very same people YOU and our incompetent President say we need to stop, YOU want to allow to own firearms? Keeping guns out of the hands of people who are certified BY THEIR OWN doctor as mentally ill is the whole damned point!!

YOU two dumbasses continually point out that 33,000 gun deaths are "mainly suicides" (as if that is some kind of excuse)...well who the f*** do you think shoots themselves in the head!!! NORMAL SANE RATIONAL people!?!?!?!

Something like 90% of Americans want the mentally ill to not have access to firearms...the only opponent to this concept is the political lobby of the NRA.

As Usual you are dead wrong----------------------------------------par for the course for your posts.

glhs837

Power with Control
The issue was that the definition of mentally ill was bull.

based merely on the fact that they received assistance in managing their disability payments from Social Security. The rule was rightly repealed by Congressional Republicans and President Trump.

I'm gonna wait here while you go fetch a list of the mass shooters who were receiving disability payments from Social Security. Heck, whats the intersect on suicides and these people? I'm gonna guess low. Like banning friken pistol foregrips, it's just rulemaking to make people think you are really making a difference.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Funny thing, the ACLU was totes down with the dousing of this dumpster fire Obama started.

Cali Transplant

Have boat will travel
Hey TP, of all those suicides by gun, how many were transgender? If, as you say, suicides are committed by the mentally ill, doesn't it follow that because suicides are high in the transgender community, transgender people are mentally ill?

Major talking points of libs is that trangengers aren't mentally ill.

BOP

Everyone ought to own guns. For people with bad intent, the problem will sort itself out.

SamSpade

Profoundly depressed people - and they can be sane people who are in a bad way.
I've known people to commit suicide after the loss of a child or spouse - and they weren't mentally ill.
Mental illness isn't something that arrives suddenly and goes, like a cold.
You CANNOT keep guns away from heartbroken people for whom life has suddenly dealt a bad hand,
because that can happen anytime.

And most of the people I have known who committed suicide didn't need a gun - and I didn't even count attempted suicides.

I do dismiss suicides because they aren't the problem being discussed, which is gun homicides.
It's just that "gun deaths" includes people who shoot THEMSELVES.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

GURPS asinine article says that that keeping firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill impacts 2a rights of those people. Are you f***ing kidding me?

:yahoo:

Triggered an EPIC Meltdown ...... I hope you don't own any Firearms you are mental

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The law in question denied citizens a civil right based on whether they required assistance with unrelated life responsibilities.

this did not specifically target people with violent natures, or other genuine defined issues.

it used the broadest possible scope to deny as many as possible.

if you substitute voting, privacy or any other broader right you'd be screaming from the rafters! ( rightfully, but still screaming none the less) Because it is a right you are willing to relinquish, and seek to deny others, you give it a pass.