Ted Deutch: No one under 21 should be allowed to own a firearm

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can't find an article at this point, but was watching CNN this morning. Dave Briggs was interviewing Rep Ted Deutch who said he is going to propose legislation that will change the age to purchase of all firearms to the age of 21.

You can die for your country with a firearm in your hand at the age of 18
You are trusted to drive at 16.
In many states you can hold some positions in government at 18.
You can live out on your own at 18.

The last one is of importance in this call to change the age to 21. What rep Deutch is saying to every American, age 18-20 that, if you are living out on your own, with a job, driving your own car, obeying the law... you are not allowed, by dictate of our federal government, to effectively protect yourself.

This is a abject violation of "...shall not be infringed". I hope all of our voters, 18-20 years old, are paying attention.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I can't find an article at this point, but was watching CNN this morning. Dave Briggs was interviewing Rep Ted Deutch who said he is going to propose legislation that will change the age to purchase of all firearms to the age of 21.

You can die for your country with a firearm in your hand at the age of 18
You are trusted to drive at 16.
In many states you can hold some positions in government at 18.
You can live out on your own at 18.

The last one is of importance in this call to change the age to 21. What rep Deutch is saying to every American, age 18-20 that, if you are living out on your own, with a job, driving your own car, obeying the law... you are not allowed, by dictate of our federal government, to effectively protect yourself.

This is a abject violation of "...shall not be infringed". I hope all of our voters, 18-20 years old, are paying attention.

Let's just make 21 the magic age for anything/everything. That would fix all of our problems.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Maybe make killing video games available only at 18 - 21. I read somewhere recently that the average teenage male witnesses 30,000 - 40,000 murders/killings of humans by humans on TV and movies, and commits about 100,000 murders/killings while playing video games - all before 18 years old. That's a lot of violence, no matter how you look at it. Obviously, and thankfully, that usually doesn't carry over to everyday life.

It is a very, very slippery slope.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who remembers when 18 year olds were considered adults? Graduate from high school, now you're official - start adulting. When did it happen that we started keeping them infants and helpless until their mid-20s or so?

PeoplesElbow

I believe a lot of it has to do with the fact that being a boy is basically discouraged at school and in society today.

Johnny Football has an outlet for his hormones and testosterone, it is always a boy that was marginalized and never had any sort of outlet to practice being a man. You notice girls never seem to do this either?

My dad grew up watching the Rifleman and other westerns on TV, there was quite a bit of shooting in those, the blood was nonexistent so you would think that those would make shooting someone seem even less bad than the current realistic stuff wouldn't you?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I remember when, before the age of 10, kids understood the difference between right and wrong.

Something too many 20 and 30 somethings fail at today.

This and many other problems today can be lain at the feet of piss poor parenting.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Mass shootings in America:

1949 - Howard Unruh. Age 28.
1966 - Charles Whitman. Age 25
1982 - George Banks. Age 40.
1984 - James Huberty. Age 41
1986 - Patrick Sherrill. Age 45
1990 - James Edward Pough. Age 45
1991 - George Hennard. Age 35
1999 - Mark Orrin Barton. Age 44
1999 - Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Ages 17 and 18
2005 - Jeffrey Weise. Age 16
2007 - Seung-Hui Cho. Age 23
2009 - Michael Kenneth McLendon. Age 28
2009 - Nidal Hasan. Age 47
2009 - Jiverly Antares Wong. Age 41
2012 - James Holmes. Age 25
2012 - Adam Lanza. Age 20
2013 - Aaron Alexis. Age 34
2015 - Christopher Harper-Mercer. Age 26
2015 - Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. Ages 27 and 28
2016 - Omar Mateen. Age 29
2017 - Devin Patrick Kelley. Age 26
2017 - Stephen Paddock. Age 64
2018 - Nikolas Jacob Cruz. Age 19

This Wiki article left out the Charleston Church shooting by Dylann Roof. Age 21

The point being... The majority of the mass murders in this country were people that were over the age of 21. What does Deutch aim to accomplish here?

mitzi

Who remembers when 18 year olds were considered adults? Graduate from high school, now you're official - start adulting. When did it happen that we started keeping them infants and helpless until their mid-20s or so?

I've wondered this myself.

black dog

Free America
Maybe make killing video games available only at 18 - 21. I read somewhere recently that the average teenage male witnesses 30,000 - 40,000 murders/killings of humans by humans on TV and movies, and commits about 100,000 murders/killings while playing video games - all before 18 years old. That's a lot of violence, no matter how you look at it. Obviously, and thankfully, that usually doesn't carry over to everyday life.

It is a very, very slippery slope.

How about they need to have been on at least one deployment before they can play video games? That way they will be sure to understand real and make believe.

black dog

Free America
I was against passing the age limit for beer to 21.
I still am. An 18 year old should be allowed to drink beer.

Damn right, If you can sign a contract to enlist and vote then you should be able to toss back a few when the need arises.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How about they need to have been on at least one deployment before they can play video games? That way they will be sure to understand real and make believe.

How silly. My son grew up playing shoot 'em up video games, and so did all his friends. Not a single one of them ever murdered anyone.

It's not the freaking game's fault, just like it's not the gun's fault. Good grief.

black dog

Free America
How silly. My son grew up playing shoot 'em up video games, and so did all his friends. Not a single one of them ever murdered anyone.

It's not the freaking game's fault, just like it's not the gun's fault. Good grief.

Good Grief Charlie Brown, how did you miss the sarcasm....
My 18 year old reports to MCRD Parris Island the morning of March 5th..
He's aware of what's real and never never land...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good Grief Charlie Brown, how did you miss the sarcasm....

Because in the past I've figured someone was kidding or being sarcastic, only to find that they were dead serious. :ohwell:

People are so crazy anymore it's hard to tell.

Sorry. :flowers:

black dog

Free America
Because in the past I've figured someone was kidding or being sarcastic, only to find that they were dead serious. :ohwell:

People are so crazy anymore it's hard to tell.

Sorry. :flowers:

My son played all the popular videos games growing up, but along with video time he also had outdoor time, homework time, exercise time and more to round out his upbringing.. The Xbox was never the babysitter...