ICE and CBP trying to get NSA intel

Chris0nllyn

Officials at Immigration and Customs Enforcement are actively exploring joining the U.S. Intelligence Community, The Daily Beast has learned.

The effort is helmed by a small cohort of career Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials, and has been underway since the Obama administration, according to an ICE official familiar with the matter.

If ICE joins the Intelligence Community, then its officials will have increased access to raw intelligence, unfiltered by analysts. This could prove useful to both of the agency’s components: Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), which investigates transnational crimes, including drug trafficking, money laundering, cybercrimes, and arms trafficking; and Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO), which arrests and detains undocumented immigrants.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ice-wants-to-be-an-intelligence-agency-under-trump

Now, the Border Patrol could become even more potent. The Daily Beast can confirm that officials in the Border Patrol’s parent agency, Customs and Border Protection, are quietly advocating to join the country’s powerful collection of intelligence agencies. And some former CBP officials are warning that this combination of border agents and spies could present an “Orwellian problem with law enforcement becoming both investigators and intelligence collectors.”

The former official who said CBP’s efforts were “revitalized” also cautioned that the increasingly formal relationship between law enforcement and intelligence brings the potential for abuse.

“I can, without your knowledge, spy on you—go get a warrant, and a FISA warrant is nothing to get, as we’ve all seen now—and I can detain you,” he said. “I can suspend your civil liberties, and I can refer you for prosecution, and there’s nothing you can do about it. You’ll never see it coming.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-border-agents-look-to-team-up-with-us-spies

'Murica :patriot: