Mileage tax?

transporter

More evidence that our President is unfit for the job...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Wednesday praised an experimental program in Oregon that charges a mileage tax to volunteer drivers, adding to signals that President Donald Trump is open to finding new revenue sources to pay for his proposed infrastructure program.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...x-with-praise-of-oregon-program-idUSKCN1G527O

Gee...Mr. World's Greatest Manager...Mr. "I'm the only one who can solve these problems"...didn't ya think thru the tax cut legislation you signed??? You see when you cut revenue, by definition, that means you won't have the money to embark on an infrastructure program. You won't have the political backstop from your party to raise taxes after just having cut taxes! It's really not rocket science. A chimp could figure this stuff out. GURPS and the rest of the cultists won't be happy that you are financing their $80 paycheck bumps with money borrowed from China and then forcing them to pay more to drive their cars! Come on Dear Leader...think!

Now, from a political perspective, if you had been an intelligent as you claim, you would have realized that the infrastructure program was the FIRST thing you should have pushed for (instead of the Muslim ban and toilet tweeting about every perceived enemy). This is also not rocket science. Dems and Repubs would have backed an infrastructure program last January...it gives the average Joe a shot at some decent paying work...all the Joes and Janes see the work getting done...they foresee easier, less dangerous commutes. You build bridges with your political adversaries. THEN a year or so later you pass the tax cut bill which would still have been stupid policy but it would have been more politically palatable.

But Trump just doesn't get it...largely because he's made no effort whatsoever to understand the game he got himself into. So his failures become our bills now and for decades to come. NAGA! MAGA!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think he should go with a Frappe/Latte Hipster Coffee Tax, Quinoa Tax and a Vag-hat Tax.

limblips

PREMO Member
Tranny,

The infrastructure in this country is "deplorable". I would love to blame it all on your brown hero but it is a culmination of years of underfunding by more than one past administration but the last one brought us trillions more in debt with no repairing of our crumbling highways, bridges and rail systems. It has long been known that a gas tax is the solution but the brown one and other admins were more concerned with polls and votes than fixing the issues. Trump really doesn't care about either as long as he can MAGA. As long as the money from a gas tax is 100% fed into the transportation system repairs and upgrades, this deplorable is good to go with it.

Edited: I forgot the shovel ready projects and the associated explosion of jobs the brown one gave us. Oh, wait. Nevermind.....

Last edited:

SamSpade

Tranny,

The infrastructure in this country is "deplorable". I would love to blame it all on your brown hero but it is a culmination of years of underfunding by more than one past administration ....

Worse than that. Case in point - who's responsible for the Bay? Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and Pennsylvania?
Or the rest of the country? You make the mess, you clean it up.

The federal government is on the hook for projects that are completely their responsibility, such as interstates.
But a great deal of these failures in infrastructure are the failures of states and cities - THEY are the ones who have cut corners,
and are always asking Uncle Sam to bail them out. THAT's the part that pisses me off.

I used to debate my Dad on this as long ago as the 70s and 80s - and he was right.
Large cities have huge budgets, and they squander it frivolously and have, for years.
New Orleans is the most obvious case of this - what is the point of state taxes if you can't
take care of your OWN infrastructure?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's the 'ol sinking ship analogy at play here. Too many holes to fill the sinking ship called the USA using a fiat currency system. As long as the people are getting paid using the shrinking available money supply. Though a little available of money is used to fill the infrastructure hole, it's not enough to fill it. It's still leaking. And that is just one hole needing to be filled. Take away from worthy projects to pay the people instead, (welfare, entitlements, war, etc ) for if the people are happy and ignorant of what is happening ....

Also, what is better? The government raising taxes, thereby reducing money in circulation, to repair and add to infrastructure, or, the Federal Reserve raising interest rates to reduce money in circulation? One betters the country while the other benefits the bankers.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
GURPS and the rest of the cultists won't be happy that you are financing their $80 paycheck bumps with money borrowed from China and then forcing them to pay more to drive their cars! Come on Dear Leader...think!

right ... the Tax Cuts are the Problem ..... GFYS