Arrests made in threat of Leonardtown High School mass shooting

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There you go - THAT is how it's supposed to work. Anyone making death threats anywhere or behaving in a disturbing manner - private conversation, social media, wherever - should be reported to the police and investigated.

And yes, Hollywood celebrities and deranged politicians, that means you too. There's no reason for anyone to be talking like that, ever.

I'm curious how many of these threats are thwarted like this, because someone saw something and said something, and law enforcement did their job.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But yet, it did not deter the latest two school threat makers.

It's not going to deter stupid people from doing stupid things. Like, ever. But it will go a long way toward preventing them from acting.

I'd love to see a major crackdown on threatening behavior in all aspects of our society.

Midnightrider

These two sh!theads will be dealing with their deterrence for many years to come probably.

Unfortunately it sounds like the one dad is majorly effed. He is a kitchen table ffl with a good job. He can say goodbye to both. The stupid thing is that the ATF rules require him to have adequate storage space so he really has no excuse.

I will be interested to hear more on the illegal transfer.

transporter

It's not going to deter stupid people from doing stupid things. Like, ever. But it will go a long way toward preventing them from acting.

I'd love to see a major crackdown on threatening behavior in all aspects of our society.

So which side of this point are you on? Do you even know?

Or don't you understand that the foundational principle of law is that it's enforcement deters others from doing illegal things?

Why have a "major crackdown on threatening behavior in all aspects of our society" if the end goal isn't to deter future threatening behavior?

glhs837

Power with Control
It will deter some, but there's a certain percentage of stupid/insane people no amount of deterrence will stop. And those have to be caught and locked up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why have a "major crackdown on threatening behavior in all aspects of our society" if the end goal isn't to deter future threatening behavior?

You do not put down the rabid dog to deter other dogs from contracting rabies.

Not sure why this is hard to understand.

3CATSAILOR

The St. Mary's County Board of Education had a Superintendent's Safety and Security Committee for 20 years that law enforcement, parents and others were a part of. It was "disbanded" several years ago in favor of one that is "children based". The idea was to "empower" the children. However, the children they choose to empower could very well be someone they should be concerned about. They would have no way of knowing for certain.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or, at least until the judge releases them to their mommy and daddy with no penalty. I'll put my money on that bet.

Dunno, even if there's no penalty from The Man, pretty sure that the boys leading to Dad losing his FFL and whatever pnealties Dad gets from having unsecured weapons around the house will lead to the one kid facing serious penaties at home.

Dunno, even if there's no penalty from The Man, pretty sure that the boys leading to Dad losing his FFL and whatever pnealties Dad gets from having unsecured weapons around the house will lead to the one kid facing serious penaties at home.
And I also see this prompting many other adults with lax weapon (not just firearms) access to reassess their own environment. I also believe it will result in necessary and beneficial dialog all around. :yay:

Midnightrider

the kid might have run his mouth and got the police to the door, but if it were not for the 39 unsecured firearms AND the fact that both of the guys teenagers had handguns in their nightstands he would be in the clear. Its likely the kids threats would have been taken much less seriously if they didn't have the access to arms as well
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0218/vigilant-student-thwarts-potential-mass-shooting.html

glhs837

Power with Control
the kid might have run his mouth and got the police to the door, but if it were not for the 39 unsecured firearms AND the fact that both of the guys teenagers had handguns in their nightstands he would be in the clear. Its likely the kids threats would have been taken much less seriously if they didn't have the access to arms as well
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0218/vigilant-student-thwarts-potential-mass-shooting.html

I did say "leading to". Barring the kids mouthing off, nobody would know of Dads laxity. But yes, barring Dads laxity, there would not really be any issue other than verbal threats. Each person has a part in this.

3CATSAILOR

These two sh!theads will be dealing with their deterrence for many years to come probably.

Because of their age in Maryland, I suspect their criminal history will be sealed and start over at 18 with a clean slate when they become adults. Remember, we have a far Left Wing State. In our State criminals are awarded and law abiding people pay the price.

tom88

I think it should be said....KUDO'S to the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office and St. Mary's County Sheriff Cameron for taking the issue seriously and doing the right thing!!!