Sim Card Reader in Samsung phone

luvmygdaughters

Does anyone know if you can replace the SIM card reader in a Samsung phone. Mine broke while trying to replace the SIM card, not mentioning any names though:whistle: as to who broke it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Does anyone know if you can replace the SIM card reader in a Samsung phone. Mine broke while trying to replace the SIM card, not mentioning any names though:whistle: as to who broke it.

Depends on the model, would be my guess. A lot of things like that are indeed replaceable, but do require taking the handset apart. Last Samasung I worked on was an older Note and I dont sepcfifically recall the SIM tray either way.

luvmygdaughters

Another question, we are traveling to Cancun in May. The resort we are staying at has free wi-fi. My question is; Will we incur international roaming charges if we connect to the resort wi-fi?? I know it may seem like a dumb question, but, I honestly dont understand damn roaming charges and when I read about them, I'm terrified I'll come home and find we have to sell the house to pay the damn phone bill!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Another question, we are traveling to Cancun in May. The resort we are staying at has free wi-fi. My question is; Will we incur international roaming charges if we connect to the resort wi-fi?? I know it may seem like a dumb question, but, I honestly dont understand damn roaming charges and when I read about them, I'm terrified I'll come home and find we have to sell the house to pay the damn phone bill!!

You should not, but do make sure you turn off mobile data and roaming.

Chris0nllyn

What carrier?

To answer your question, turn off your mobile network and connect to Wi-Fi and you won't get any additional charges, but should you choose to use your phone, Verizon has a TravelPass for $5/day that uses your domestic plan's allowances. In case of emergency your phone will still work down there for short calls or texts. Just shy away from streaming (Netflix) or sending multimedia messages.

luvmygdaughters

What carrier?

To answer your question, turn off your mobile network and connect to Wi-Fi and you won't get any additional charges, but should you choose to use your phone, Verizon has a TravelPass for $5/day that uses your domestic plan's allowances. In case of emergency your phone will still work down there for short calls or texts. Just shy away from streaming (Netflix) or sending multimedia messages.

Consumer Cellular and thanks for the tip on purchasing the travel pass, I did look into a few of them. Honestly, the only thing I need the phone for is to text/call the kids when we arrive at the resort. Thanks again.

Chris0nllyn

Consumer Cellular and thanks for the tip on purchasing the travel pass, I did look into a few of them. Honestly, the only thing I need the phone for is to text/call the kids when we arrive at the resort. Thanks again.

On some networks with Consumer Cellular, usage incurred from the countries listed will be billed at international roaming rates of $0.30 per talk minute, $0.10 per text message, and $0.25 per MB of data usage. On other networks with Consumer Cellular, those costs can be much higher, or international roaming may not be available. Be aware that when using your phone internationally, charges can add up, so it is always best to use on a more limited basis. For your protection, service will be disabled once we have received billing records showing $50 in international roaming charges has been incurred on your account during a billing period (this includes calls, text messages, and web data). Due to delays in receiving billing records, your charges will likely have exceeded $50 when international access is disabled.
https://www.consumercellular.com/Help/international-rates/rates

Unless you enable international roaming, Consumer Cellular phones won't connect to a network outside the US. Should you choose to make a quick call or text, see above.

What I've done is download a Wi-Fi messaging app like Skype or WhatsApp. that allows you to use the Wi-Fi and make a call, video call, or text without using international cell service. I'd reocmmend that route, just have whoever you plan to contact download the app and add you as a contact.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
WhatsApp ...
KIK ...

great messaging apps that work over Wi-Fi

whatsapp works off of your cell phone contact list

bonus points whats-app has a web portal as well - your phone has to be online however