Rewire a floor lamp

Suzette

Fan Dancer
Hello All!!! Can anyone recommend a local service/store that can rewire lamps? I have an old floor lamp of my parents which they probably bought in the 1940s and needs rewiring and some repair. Can anyone recommend someone who does this type of work? Thank you!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If you can thread a needle and turn a screw, you can do this yourself. Get a length of regular type electrical cord from Lowes and a plug for one end. Remove the old wire from the lamp and socket. Thread the new wire up the lamp the same way it came out. Attach the new wire to the bulb socket and tighten screws. Attach the other end to the new plug. Done. There you go.

black dog

Free America
I just talked to my son who worked at the Ace Hardware in Leonardtown for a few years. He wasn't sure but he said he had seen a few folks bringing in lamps so he assumed that they would rewire them.
Leonardtown and Charlotte Hall are owned but the same man. I would call one of them.

Suzette

Fan Dancer
If I may ...

If you can thread a needle and turn a screw, you can do this yourself. Get a length of regular type electrical cord from Lowes and a plug for one end. Remove the old wire from the lamp and socket. Thread the new wire up the lamp the same way it came out. Attach the new wire to the bulb socket and tighten screws. Attach the other end to the new plug. Done. There you go.

Thank you! A friend of mine would rewire lamps and showed me how easy it is........so......I think I'll give it a go!!

Suzette

Fan Dancer
I just talked to my son who worked at the Ace Hardware in Leonardtown for a few years. He wasn't sure but he said he had seen a few folks bringing in lamps so he assumed that they would rewire them.
Leonardtown and Charlotte Hall are owned but the same man. I would call one of them.

Thank you Black Dog! If I bungle it up trying to do it on my own, I'll check out Ace HW.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thank you Black Dog! If I bungle it up trying to do it on my own, I'll check out Ace HW.

It's not on their list of "regular services", but if you purchase the materials from them they'll work out a reasonable rate.:yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

THis

Lowes sells kits with all the stuff you need, ACE, TruValue most likely the same.

Yeowwwwww.gif

steppinthrax

One warning I will give you is you need to tie an Underwriters knot right where the terminals of the wire screw into the bulb holder.

Second, You should buy your wire and bulb holder from Ace Hardware, don't buy from Lowes or HD. They tend to sell cheap low-end chinese made wires and bulb holder. Ace in Calvert has a whole section on lamp re-wire. They use a brand name company and the stuff is higher quality. For the general expense to re-wire a lamp, id buy from there.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Second, You should buy your wire and bulb holder from Ace Hardware, don't buy from Lowes or HD. They tend to sell cheap low-end chinese made wires and bulb holder.

Reeeeaally? That place is a mini-mart for all things Chinese made. Most of the stuff they sell is really cheap Chinese crap with high profit margins. Just look at the "Made in" label on the next item you pick up off a shelf.