WWII Navy Ribbon

Suzette

Fan Dancer
My father was in the Navy during WWII. I have a ribbon of his and I can't find what it's for. I've searched for it in google with no luck. It's solid blue with a gold medal border and has four stars. Just wondering if anyone knows what it means. Thank you!

jwyman

My father was in the Navy during WWII. I have a ribbon of his and I can't find what it's for. I've searched for it in google with no luck. It's solid blue with a gold medal border and has four stars. Just wondering if anyone knows what it means. Thank you!

IF you can, take a photo and upload to the forum....With all the navy expertise around here, i'm sure someone can give you the correct answer...

Jim

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
IF you can, take a photo and upload to the forum....With all the navy expertise around here, i'm sure someone can give you the correct answer...

Jim

What she described sounds a lot like the Army Presidential Unit Citation (stars = number of times the unit received it).

Suzette

Fan Dancer
What she described sounds a lot like the Army Presidential Unit Citation (stars = number of times the unit received it).

Hi Ken, I looked up the Army Presidential Unit Citation and it does look just like it! But, my father was in the Navy. Maybe it was his brother's who was in the Army Corp and were on their way to invade Japan. I'll still take a photo of it and post the photo.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Hi Ken, I looked up the Army Presidential Unit Citation and it does look just like it! But, my father was in the Navy. Maybe it was his brother's who was in the Army Corp and were on their way to invade Japan. I'll still take a photo of it and post the photo.

Are the stars Bronze or Silver? 4 Bronze would equal 5 times, 4 silver would equal 21 times.

You say Army Corp, is that Army Air Corp? Bomber units got quite a few of those during the war.

Suzette

Fan Dancer
B24C8070-1FE8-435C-9E86-C2A1B5BC6F61.jpg

Suzette

Fan Dancer
Are the stars Bronze or Silver? 4 Bronze would equal 5 times, 4 silver would equal 21 times.

You say Army Corp, is that Army Air Corp? Bomber units got quite a few of those during the war.

Hi again Ken, Yes, I meant the Army Air Corp and they are bronze stars. I finally was able to post a photo of the ribbon. Thank you for the info. So now I wonder whose ribbon it was. My Mother's brother was also in the Army, but was a GI in Europe and came home with a German bride (and her family). Also, my father had a good friend who was a "spotter" in the Pacific so maybe his???

Ken King

PREMO Member
Hi again Ken, Yes, I meant the Army Air Corp and they are bronze stars. I finally was able to post a photo of the ribbon. Thank you for the info. So now I wonder whose ribbon it was. My Mother's brother was also in the Army, but was a GI in Europe and came home with a German bride (and her family). Also, my father had a good friend who was a "spotter" in the Pacific so maybe his???

I would bet it was the brother in the Air Corp, do you have any cousins as they may be interested in having that?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
He sure did!!! He married, had children, had a successful career (unlike many of our WWII heroes) and just died the 11th of February of this year. Thank you for asking softtouch.

That is the story of the WW2 veterans who were my mentors as a boy and youth.

They did their duty, came home and built good lives.

Bravo to your uncle.

My favorite of them was Winfield Pease, who was an Army Airborne trooper and a Pathfinder (basically, a long range scout).
His platoon was left in Italy to guide other Army units when the rest of his regiment was withdrawn to England to prepare for D-Day.
Mr Pease used to say he and his comrades went up and down every mountain in Italy.

He also fought in Korea. He had enlisted in 1929 and retired in 1959.

We had the pleasure of his company and wisdom until 2 years ago when he passed away at the age of 105.

Remember too that the Army Air Corps launched flights from carriers during WWII. I guess it's possible that Navy crews could have been awarded an Army citation.

Last edited: