Traditional Landline

SamSpade

Many years ago, we dropped DirecTV and went with the Metrocast bundle, losing our traditional landline in favor of Metrocast's VoIP phone.
Seemed like a good deal.

But the problem with bundles is, you don't really save a lot dropping one part of it.
The best way to leave Metrocast is to go Internet only.

But that would mean going back to regular landline.

(Yes - I know some people ask why bother? Why not stick with cell phone?
Easy - our cell phone reception at our house is seriously awful - depending on where
you are in the house, you may lose signal completely. Our guests typically have to
walk outside just to make a call.)

For those who still have one - who do you use? Is it just going back to AT&T?
Who else is there? And besides VoIP, if any?

ginwoman

I have Metrocast wi-fi and VONAGE for phone service. I'm very pleased with Vonage. Very inexpensive also.

Starman

I still maintain Verizon land-line service. Most alarm services which want to interface with the telephone system to make automated 911 calls or whatever typically only work with traditional POTS service. Or at least that used to be the case. Not sure if thing are migrating in the face of the VIOP explosion. Secondarily, I have loads of X10 automation with an interface that only works with traditional POTS. So I can dial up my home when away and turn on different lights, adjust the thermostat, and a few other things.

Rommey

Try MagicJack. It's pretty inexpensive and IP based so you wouldn't have assured communications that traditional copper landline would give, but if you were already using Metrocast's phone, it also was IP based.
As far as security systems are involved, ours uses cellular service to connect for 911 calls/interface to monitoring service. My guess is most are already using similar services as more homes move away from traditional POTS lines.

PeoplesElbow

I still maintain Verizon land-line service. Most alarm services which want to interface with the telephone system to make automated 911 calls or whatever typically only work with traditional POTS service. Or at least that used to be the case. Not sure if thing are migrating in the face of the VIOP explosion. Secondarily, I have loads of X10 automation with an interface that only works with traditional POTS. So I can dial up my home when away and turn on different lights, adjust the thermostat, and a few other things.

I sure get a lot of telemarketing calls telling me how their cellular based security system is so much better.

Starman

The other good thing about land-like is that they always work because they are powered by the ~50V the telco supplies.

The derecho left me without power for about 8 days. Didn’t even worry about keeping my emergency mobile charged. Had voice connectivity the entire time.

Starman

I sure get a lot of telemarketing calls telling me how their cellular based security system is so much better.

I believe there are reasonable security systems that operate over cellular. I’ll look at them if I have to replace my current system.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I keep a land line (Verizon) because cell service where I live is impossible., even with a Verizon repeater, which is only as good as your internet connection (Metrocast) which is also sketchy where I live. Verizon does not provide Internet where I live.....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I believe there are reasonable security systems that operate over cellular. I’ll look at them if I have to replace my current system.

All of my fire systems on my commercial properties use cell technology. Have friends in the biz and they say it’s the best....price seems to be about the same

Starman

All of my fire systems on my commercial properties use cell technology. Have friends in the biz and they say it’s the best....price seems to be about the same

Lots of sales types say whatever they are selling is “the best”.

How would a cellular-based system work in an 8 day power outage, for example?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Lots of sales types say whatever they are selling is “the best”.

How would a cellular-based system work in an 8 day power outage, for example?

The guys I know sell both......so I don’t think they’re BSing me.
Where my commercial properties are located....8- Day would be a stretch.
At home I use a land line and 25KW generator. Longest outage 6 days.......landline was out those six days also

mitzi

Many years ago, we dropped DirecTV and went with the Metrocast bundle, losing our traditional landline in favor of Metrocast's VoIP phone.
Seemed like a good deal.

But the problem with bundles is, you don't really save a lot dropping one part of it.
The best way to leave Metrocast is to go Internet only.

But that would mean going back to regular landline.

(Yes - I know some people ask why bother? Why not stick with cell phone?
Easy - our cell phone reception at our house is seriously awful - depending on where
you are in the house, you may lose signal completely. Our guests typically have to
walk outside just to make a call.)

For those who still have one - who do you use? Is it just going back to AT&T?
Who else is there? And besides VoIP, if any?

Basic Talk or Vontage. Works with your WiFi and costs about $13.00 per month. They used send the modem free and free shipping.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Why do you want to leave Metrocast?

My bill since I joined has gone up about 50% while gaining almost nothing.
My average bill has gone up about 20 bucks just in the last few months.

And the thing is, the only members of my household who get much from it are me and my wife.
The kids don't care - they watch videos and webcasts and are fine with streaming stuff.
They have no attachment to a show with an arching story or so on - they have no interest
in "the latest episode". They're happy watching a show that went off the air five years ago
or only appears on Netflix.

So the whole live TV, major networks poses no interest to them.

Wife and I have been dabbling in streaming for different sources for a few months now,
going through their trial periods. We find that outside of our primary shows that we DVR on regular TV -
we have almost no interest in what's on. During the Olympics, when all of our shows went
on hiatus - we didn't watch anything.

So honestly - we don't need the variety of cable. Services like Hulu give us most of the shows we want
anyway - and don't need a DVR.

The problem with Metrocast is the bundle - unbundling one part doesn't help you much.
Ideally, we'd do Internet only - a landline with another carrier - and stream all our TV.
Streaming services are VERY convenient to cancel and re-subscribe.

I would PREFER a landline that is traditional phone lines, rather than VoIP, because it's still
Internet. As I and others have observed, the GREAT thing about the old phone company is,
when the power was out - your phone still worked. Cell phone service at the house is terrible,
and landline is still the best way outside of VoIP.

The DOWNSIDE of that is, there's only a couple options and they are STILL NOT CHEAP.
I really don't get it. To have call anyone, anywhere in the U.S. on a regular landline, it's still
around 30 some with AT&T - and TWICE that with Verizon. That's a joke. And I think AT&T
charges like a 99 dollar start up charge. That's right - the phone line sitting there, they're going
to charge you a hundred bucks to flip a switch.

So I'm --- thinking about it.