Greetings from....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Beverly Hills.....that's where I want to be....living in Beverly Hills....

Florida, that is.

But I've had that earworm since I made the reservation.

It's cute here and I love it so far! Lots of adorable little towns that we passed through that will require further inspection. We have horses in our back yard, no lie. While Marathon was boring sticks, Beverly Hills is quaint sticks with farmers markets and a real community. It's hard to describe. Like Marathoners think they're so cool because it's Keys, yo, and it makes me want to point out to them that they are overpriced suckage. But places like Beverly Hills are totally okay with not being all that and they roll with it, don't try to pretend. It makes me like them.

I can live without an Ulta and a Target in a place like this.

Tonight after we set up we tried to have dinner at a place our neighbor recommended, but it was closed. So I asked the parking lot cop, who isn't really a cop but a security volunteer (I love that!) where we should eat and he told us this place that neither the GPS or Google was aware existed. So he was either having us on or it's a super secret local place that we need to find.

So whatever, we went on to the Publix to get some groceries and in their little strip was a place called "The Stinky Rose" - Italian food. Yes please! A little diner type of place with proper dippy oil for the bread. I had spaghetti and meatballs, because you don't really appreciate that until you no longer have the ability to make it; and Monello had tortellini in a cream sauce with proshoot and peas. And I had two generous Chiantis, which is the perfect amount to get buzzy but not be sorry the next day.

I liked Naples but it was pretty ritzy, all gated communities and what not. I think Beverly Hills is probably more my style.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we found a terrific golf course - Twisted Oaks - and I haven't lost my swing. WOOT!

Also about a mile from us is a farm market that is open every day - listen up, southern Maryland farmers! - and my intention is to go there every day and get our dinner veggies.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SO annoying!

I am an entrepreneur at heart, and Monello gets it because he's smart and has a skill set. We frequently run across these amazing opportunities that would be perfect if we weren't not ready to lay down stakes.

So tonight's was this great bar - Bushwackers in Hernanado, FL. Guy wants to sell it because of health problems. It's a great bar in a stellar location and the guy wants a dumb low price for it because he just wants out. If I were ready to settle somewhere, I'd have cut him a check on the spot.

I feel you all shuddering, but owning a bar isn't an "on your way up" endeavor. It's more of an "I just need it to pay for itself" project. As long as you understand that, you're good.

So anyway, this is the latest opportunity that we've run across, trying to tempt us into putting down roots, that we've managed to overcome. Get thee behind me, Satan! But if you're slogging and bored and want a life other than what you have, do know that there are a zillion opportunities out there.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I didn’t know where to put my question. But, in y’all’s travels, what are y’all seeing and sensing, as far as the current political climate of America? What are people saying, how are they acting, and what are they thinking about the present state of our Country? That might be a good topic for a new thread.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I didn’t know where to put my question. But, in y’all’s travels, what are y’all seeing and sensing, as far as the current political climate of America? What are people saying, how are they acting, and what are they thinking about the present state of our Country? That might be a good topic for a new thread.

It depends on where we are. We take note of what news channels they have on in the bars and hotel breakfast rooms, and we're seeing more Fox and less CNN. In campgrounds you're going to find a large population of conservatives, with a few granola hippie liberals thrown in for fun. A lot of Trumperstickers in the campgrounds, which makes sense considering the demographic.

In our day to day life we do not see racial or gender or sexual preference strife, nor do we see a lot of activism. Two notable exceptions: in Burlington, VT there is a center down by the water that had a peace/love/blahblah sign in the window, indicating that they are a fortress for tolerance and diversity (I thought about wearing my MAGA hat in there just to see if they really meant it); and in Salt Lake City a number of restaurants/shops had "Refugees Welcome!" signs in their windows, although they were pretty pricey high end establishments and I'm guessing they would chit if a pack of refugees actually took them up on their welcome.

The biggest surprise for me was in Montreal, where pretty much everyone we talked to was admiring of Trump and Americans in general, and their local news anchors reflect that as well. I was expecting Euro snobbery and progressive self-righteousness - like they would be a nation of Justin Trudeaus - but that was not the case, at least in Montreal.

The most liberal places we've been also have had the largest visible homeless populations. As in, people sleeping on the sidewalks and panhandling at the red lights. Surprising because I thought liberals wanted to take care of people and give them an income, food, and shelter, but that does not appear the be the case in seriously liberal cities. Out west (with the exception of Salt Lake City) we didn't see homeless people laying around, but we did see a lot of fundraisers to help this or that person get through whatever bad thing happened to them.

All the crazy that we hear about in the news isn't part of our experience, and all the stereotypes (both good and bad) attributed to certain areas are largely untrue. I try to remember that when I feel myself getting sucked into the media manipulation.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday we went to Howard's Flea Market in Homosassa. It's this freaking ENORMOUS market of stalls/vendors selling everything you could possibly imagine. Like the Charlotte Hall deal on steroids.

After, we went to Crystal River and strolled their downtown. Cute shops and very quaint. Two great parks on the water to launch and picnic.

Today was the Strawberry Festival in Floral City. Tons of vendor and food places. NRA had a booth and there was no keening and snowflaking, not in southwest Florida, bub. I bought these earrings:

earrings.jpg

Afterward, we went to The Blue Gator in Dunnellon for drinks, then down to Swampy's for dinner. I think Swampy's is my new happy place. It was sold to us as a #### shack beer joint - no. It's a riverside Cajun restaurant with stellar food and a #### shack atmosphere. Perfect!

I love this area, I really do.

black dog

Free America
I'm dissipointed that I didn't meet Monello and yourself, my son and I ate dinner at Swampys, Crocs and Crackers for the last night.. We decided that with everything going on with my Father we would not have been good company to be around..
Thank your both for the offer and have beenwonderful and safe travels...
The locals told us about a bar in the middle of us called Sparrows or something like that? It's just a small sticky shady local hole....Food at Swampys and Crackers always is good. If you have a hotel room key and show it at Swampys you get 9 bucks off a appetizer.... My sons at his hotel room provided by Uncle Sam for his final meps tomorrow morning, and then on a bus later tomorrow for Parris Island...
Crazy last two weeks for sure, it will culminate in 13 weeks...
Thank you both again for the offer...

littlelady

God bless the USA
It depends on where we are. We take note of what news channels they have on in the bars and hotel breakfast rooms, and we're seeing more Fox and less CNN. In campgrounds you're going to find a large population of conservatives, with a few granola hippie liberals thrown in for fun. A lot of Trumperstickers in the campgrounds, which makes sense considering the demographic.

In our day to day life we do not see racial or gender or sexual preference strife, nor do we see a lot of activism. Two notable exceptions: in Burlington, VT there is a center down by the water that had a peace/love/blahblah sign in the window, indicating that they are a fortress for tolerance and diversity (I thought about wearing my MAGA hat in there just to see if they really meant it); and in Salt Lake City a number of restaurants/shops had "Refugees Welcome!" signs in their windows, although they were pretty pricey high end establishments and I'm guessing they would chit if a pack of refugees actually took them up on their welcome.

The biggest surprise for me was in Montreal, where pretty much everyone we talked to was admiring of Trump and Americans in general, and their local news anchors reflect that as well. I was expecting Euro snobbery and progressive self-righteousness - like they would be a nation of Justin Trudeaus - but that was not the case, at least in Montreal.

The most liberal places we've been also have had the largest visible homeless populations. As in, people sleeping on the sidewalks and panhandling at the red lights. Surprising because I thought liberals wanted to take care of people and give them an income, food, and shelter, but that does not appear the be the case in seriously liberal cities. Out west (with the exception of Salt Lake City) we didn't see homeless people laying around, but we did see a lot of fundraisers to help this or that person get through whatever bad thing happened to them.

All the crazy that we hear about in the news isn't part of our experience, and all the stereotypes (both good and bad) attributed to certain areas are largely untrue. I try to remember that when I feel myself getting sucked into the media manipulation.

I don’t know how I missed your reply.. I must be slackin’. :lol: What you had to say was so interesting. Thanks. :yay: Again, you should be a writer, and make the big bucks like Michelle and Barry. I read that Michelle got millions in advance for her upcoming memoirs.

And, I like your new earrings! Great fashion statement, for sure! :wink:

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
But, in y’all’s travels, what are y’all seeing and sensing, as far as the current political climate of America?

1 of the posters in Burlington, VT
DSCN4670.jpg

Some Vermont graffiti
DSCN4651.jpg

We would see the same panhandler at a corner when traffic gets off the highway. I even remarked that he's there so often it's like a job for him.

This is the sign we saw in a few places in Salt Lake City. I didn't take the picture, but it's the same 1 that was in a few store windows in downtown SLC.

refugee sign.jpg

The America we see & visit is quite peaceful and vibrant. Probably the worst we see are the crappy drivers that clog the roads. I've had a few people hit me up for a few dollars, mostly at highway gas stations where there are a lot of people coming and going.

But I can share this. We often get in some great conversations with either our fellow travelers, bar patrons or service staff. In Florida it's not uncommon to run across service staff that are from cold weather states. So we usually ask where they are from originally and why they relocated to Florida. The reason for relocating is almost always due to cold and snow.

People are often curious when they find out we have no fixed address. They want to know how we get our mail and how we like rolling down the road. I often reply at some point that this lifestyle isn't for everyone. Often leaving family behind for an extended period of time is the reason many won't hit the road like we did.

But it's a big, beautiful country. Plenty of places to visit and things to see and do.

littlelady

God bless the USA
1 of the posters in Burlington, VT
View attachment 121729

Some Vermont graffiti
View attachment 121730

We would see the same panhandler at a corner when traffic gets off the highway. I even remarked that he's there so often it's like a job for him.

This is the sign we saw in a few places in Salt Lake City. I didn't take the picture, but it's the same 1 that was in a few store windows in downtown SLC.

View attachment 121731

The America we see & visit is quite peaceful and vibrant. Probably the worst we see are the crappy drivers that clog the roads. I've had a few people hit me up for a few dollars, mostly at highway gas stations where there are a lot of people coming and going.

But I can share this. We often get in some great conversations with either our fellow travelers, bar patrons or service staff. In Florida it's not uncommon to run across service staff that are from cold weather states. So we usually ask where they are from originally and why they relocated to Florida. The reason for relocating is almost always due to cold and snow.

People are often curious when they find out we have no fixed address. They want to know how we get our mail and how we like rolling down the road. I often reply at some point that this lifestyle isn't for everyone. Often leaving family behind for an extended period of time is the reason many won't hit the road like we did.

But it's a big, beautiful country. Plenty of places to visit and things to see and do.

Thank you for your reply, and thanks for the pics. So insightful. I got to visit a lot of places as a kid; especially since my father was a Scout leader; and my bros were Eagle Scouts. International Jamboree and Philmont, and all. I, also, lived in Cochabamba, Bolivia when Amoco transferred my father, when I was 3. I remember the meat woman that would come to the door with a blanket on her back full of meat. I am wondering how I am still alive. :lol: Also, the reason that I can comprendo Spanish. Also, I was put in kindergarten when I was 4 down there; big surprise. That explains why I grad HS a year early. My one bro at the time learned Spanish before English. But, now, I am a homebody and babysitter of grandchildren, and stuck in the quagmire of Montgomery Cty because it was where dot chose to live. But, that is ok. The joy of Emmy and Luke cannot be replaced. I do so love y’all’s travel threads. You embody what so many would like to do, but cannot. :smile:

And, also, my parents travelled the World for decades. The only place they never made it to, but intended to go, was the Saychelles. They never made it to the north and south poles, either. My humor for the day.

For now, I will live vicariously through y’all. :smile:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Rainbow Springs State Park is a must see if you're ever in this area. It's a beautiful natural garden park with waterfalls and a nice walking path, but the main attraction is the headspring, which is a constant 72* and a popular local swimming hole. The water is crystal clear.

DSCN5568.JPG

DSCN5582.JPG

DSCN5546.JPG

Monello

PREMO Member
A couple of otters kept me entertained while I tried unsuccessfully to catch a few fish. Body of water is Hernando lake. Also known as Tsala Apopka lake and some signs call it Arbor lake. Still trying to catch that 10 pound largemouth bass.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we spent the day in Cedar Key, which is the cutest little fishing village EVER. They really did a nice job with that town, keeping the ecosystem intact and highlighting the natural beauty, while adding quaint shops, waterfront pubs, and restaurants so it would become a destination. It comes off as charming rather than tacky touristy.

Had lunch at Tony's, which is famous for their clam chowder and rightfully so. It was flavorful and filled with clammies instead of potatoes. Monello had fried seafood, which was Calabash style and really good, and I had steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce that about killed me it was so hot.

I also found an excellent coffee roastery in Hernando - Cattle Dog. Got four samplers and am drinking the Drunken Monkey (banana and rum flavored) right now. Mmmmmm.....

I seriously love this area!

Monello

PREMO Member
Cedar Key is famous for their little neck clams. They grow them in sanctuaries in the water in leased lots. It seems the Gulf of Mexico in this part of Florida is idea for growing clams. Just the right temperature plus sunlight and nutrients. They produce somewhere between 150 & 200 million clams a year.

Next trip down there I'll buy a few dozen to cook up here in camp.

Monello

PREMO Member
This weekend we headed out to various Florida state parks. We have visited a few in our travels. The park in Panama City Beach, St. Andrews SP is 1 of those places that has something for everyone. We like to bike there since it's so flat and an easy pedal. We figured the other parks would be just as interesting. We were off by a bit....

Saturday we went to Ft. Cooper SP for a Seminole Indian battle enactment. They had a few unique vendors. There were crafts and quite a few, what I would call, period crafters. There was a guy that was hand grinding corn meal. A few women, dressed in period clothing, that were weaving, sewing and knitting. There was a blackpowder gunsmith displaying his wares. Imagine a firearms display in a Maryland SP?!? For food they had the amazing traveling wood oven fired pizza guy. We had his pizza 2 weeks ago at the strawberry festival. The pizza was just as good the 2nd time. Since they weren't that busy I was able to chat with the owner. He said he ordered the oven bricks from Italy then had someone assemble the oven over here. It's all on a trailer and he has a few work tables and a refrigerated table for the toppings. It really is a neat set up.

Then it was on the shuttle over to the battlefield. The shuttle was full so we had to sit in the back of the 4 door truck that pulled the rest of it. The volunteer was quite candid about his opinion of things related to the park. He said he was 66 and was the youngest volunteer they have. Even the battle reenactors weren't all that young. Narrators explained the battle from their point of view. Then it proceeded to get loud. The indians snuck up as close to the fort as they could before being detected. Both sides shot muskets then the battle cannon was rolled into position. BOOM. Even though you know it's coming, it still jolts you a bit. After a few volleys, we decided we'd had enough then went and stopped at the only roadside citrus stand we see down here. I remember when they were quite popular around Florida, but that's a story for another day.

Sunday had us heading to Weeki Wachee. Now I realize that many females harbor some desire to run off and become a disney princess. But I have a solid suspicion that I travel with someone whose desire is to become a Weeki Wachee mermaid. Growing up in NJ, the local TV often showed commercials for traveling to Florida and visiting Weeki Wachee. Now I was finally getting to see what it was all about.

First off this park started as a private venture. Then it passed hands to the city of Weeki Wachee and now it belongs to the state park system. It's run more like a small amusement park. There was no shortage of people visiting the park. They have an attached waterpark with several slides. The water is crystal clear coming out of the spring at a constant temperature of 74.2 degrees. There are several underwater shows each day. And if that's not enough for you, they offer a slow boat ride down the river that lasts about 20 minutes.

DSCN5619.jpg

We got to the theater 30 minutes prior to the show. Once it fills you have to stand. Normally I'm adverse to standing in line for things but for this attraction it made sense. We were rewarded with center row seats. To keep the masses entertained prior to the show TV screens show old shows from what has to be the 1950s & 1960s. Black and white with no sound so they dubbed in some music.

DSCN5622.jpg

DSCN5621.jpg

Then the show begins. In addition to the mermaids there are a bunch of creatures swimming around with them. The girls give it their all in keeping us mesmerized with their talents and ability. I'm sure performing those shows is a lot harder than it looks. They hold auditions for the few positions of mermaid. The show takes about 25 minutes. They do a few synchronized bits, eat food underwater, smile and wave. There is 1 bit where they lip sync to music but I can't figure out how they stay in time since I don't think they can hear the music.

DSCN5626.jpg

DSCN5633.jpg

DSCN5625.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
After the mermaid show we went for a river cruise. They take you down the crystal clear river and give a narration on the park and the local fauna. There are kayakers that you get to play chicken with as they dart in front of the boat. You see an amazing amount of fish, mostly mullet and sheepshead. The narrator did a great job keeping us informed.

DSCN5634.jpg

They recommend you visit the state park at Homosassa Springs. It's on our way home so stop we did. We missed the cutoff for the river cruise. So onto the shuttle to the spring. It's more like a zoo with hippos, deer, manatees and gators. There is an underwater viewing area that is like looking at a giant aquarium. Sadly an older woman had fallen down the steps just prior to us arriving there so we didn't linger for long as they attended to her. Since this park is closer to where we are staying, it's on the list to return and take their boat cruise. Like the other park, it appears that this park also started out as a private venture and some how ended up a state park.

Some other pics from Sunday.

DSCN5637.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

DSCN5636.jpg

DSCN5613.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So I asked Monello where he wanted to go as our last restaurant place in this area. He said Dan's Clam Stand.

Dan's is this... I can't think of the word for it, something that is perfectly out of place. Anyway, it's a New England clam shack that would be right at home in Rhode Island or Maine (the owner is from Massachusetts). As in, you could pick the whole thing up, employees and all, and plunk it down in Wells, ME and it would be right at home. But it's here on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The clams are TO DIE FOR, even the strips, and the chowdah is seriously on point.

We talk to a lot of people and many of them aren't from the area, so we always ask them where they're from and how they ended up here. Some places we're like, "What the freaking hell made you stay here???" But in Inverness/Dunellon/Beverly Hills/Crystal River we know exactly why they stayed.

Because we want to stay, too.

We leave for PCB - my first true travel love - on Sunday and I'm excited and can't wait to get to my bar stool at Sharkey's again, but I'm really going to miss it here. This area went on the "places to consider when we're ready to put down roots" list.

Anyway, homesick New Englanders, if you find yourself on the Gulf Coast, hit up Dan's and have a taste of home.