The White House cuts $3.9 billion deal with Boeing for 2 Air Force Ones

seven

The White House has confirmed that the administration has reached a deal with Boeing for two new Air Force One planes.

"President Trump has reached an informal deal with Boeing on a fixed price contract for the new Air Force One Program," a White House spokesman said. "Thanks to the President's negotiations, the contract will save the taxpayers more than $1.4 Billion."

The deal between the Trump administration and Boeing is expected to total $3.9 billion. The Pentagon deferred to the White House.

Some of the savings may have come after Boeing failed to secure a deal with its original buyer: Russia.

The U.S. Air Force told CNBC that the two planes were originally supposed to be sold to Russia. When that deal fell through, the Air Force acquired the aircraft at a slightly discounted price.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/the...eing-for-two-new-air-force-ones-nbc-news.html

seven

Oh but wait! Meanwhile Back in 2016!

“Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion,” Trump declared. “Cancel order!”

Starman

“Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion,” Trump declared. “Cancel order!”

Then someone explained to him how Airbus birds are built.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

So are you saying 2 Air Force ones for 3.9B is a worse deal than a single 4B dollar one?

Tech

I thought or read somewhere last year that the oringinal deal included three aircraft and a new facility at Andrews. But I could be wrong.

Chris0nllyn

So are you saying 2 Air Force ones for 3.9B is a worse deal than a single 4B dollar one?

The $4 billion was for 2 planes.

Looking at the AF Budget Justification for the PAR, the cost to build the 2 planes is $2.87 billion between 2015 and 2021. Estimates between an addition $858 million to $1 billion of overruns is expected also. Putting the total for two planes around $3.87 billion.
http://www.i2insights.com/library/d...017-defense_budget/3600F/3600F-0401319F-R.pdf

Anyone who thought Boeing or any other govt. contractor will suddenly charge less or that Trump would be able to secure a better deal is smoking crack.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I thought or read somewhere last year that the oringinal deal included three aircraft and a new facility at Andrews. But I could be wrong.

Yes they wanted 3 jets as one is always being rotated out for heavy maintenance/upgrades in TX. With one gone there is no 747 back-up standing by ready to go at a moments notice. There will be a new hanger built for them as the current hanger will not fit 747-8's.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The $4 billion was for 2 planes.

Looking at the AF Budget Justification for the PAR, the cost to build the 2 planes is $2.87 billion between 2015 and 2021. Estimates between an addition $858 million to $1 billion of overruns is expected also. Putting the total for two planes around $3.87 billion.
http://www.i2insights.com/library/d...017-defense_budget/3600F/3600F-0401319F-R.pdf

Anyone who thought Boeing or any other govt. contractor will suddenly charge less or that Trump would be able to secure a better deal is smoking crack.
The question is, did was the previous deal a FFP contract as this one is reported to be?
BTW, people can look in the Air Farce budget all they want and you won't find much on the aircraft.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The increase is, mostly, due to inflation, the expansion of the money supply. And what the expected inflation will be in the future when production begins and when the planes are finally delivered. The resent reduction in the interest rates points to further coming expansion of the money supply, aka, inflation.