Dick's Sporting Goods to stop selling Assault rifles

Sapidus

"One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller."

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Mr. Stack said in an interview Tuesday evening. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘enough is enough.’ It got to us.”

He added, “We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.”

Mr. Stack said he hoped that conversation would include politicians. As part of its stance, Dick’s is calling on elected officials to enact what it called “common sense gun reform’’ by passing laws to raise the minimum age to purchase guns to 21, to ban assault-type weapons and so-called bump stocks, and to conduct broader universal background checks that include mental-health information and previous interactions with law enforcement.

Mr. Stack said the retailer began scouring its purchase records shortly after the identity of the suspected Parkland shooter, Nikolas Cruz, became known. The company soon discovered it had legally sold a gun to Mr. Cruz in November, though it was not the gun or type of gun used in the school shooting.

“But it came to us that we could have been a part of this story,’’ he said. “We said, ‘We don’t want to be a part of this any longer,’” said Mr. Stack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/...-goods-will-no-longer-sell-assault-style-guns

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
"One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller."

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Mr. Stack said in an interview Tuesday evening. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘enough is enough.’ It got to us.”

He added, “We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.”

Mr. Stack said he hoped that conversation would include politicians. As part of its stance, Dick’s is calling on elected officials to enact what it called “common sense gun reform’’ by passing laws to raise the minimum age to purchase guns to 21, to ban assault-type weapons and so-called bump stocks, and to conduct broader universal background checks that include mental-health information and previous interactions with law enforcement.

Mr. Stack said the retailer began scouring its purchase records shortly after the identity of the suspected Parkland shooter, Nikolas Cruz, became known. The company soon discovered it had legally sold a gun to Mr. Cruz in November, though it was not the gun or type of gun used in the school shooting.

“But it came to us that we could have been a part of this story,’’ he said. “We said, ‘We don’t want to be a part of this any longer,’” said Mr. Stack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/...-goods-will-no-longer-sell-assault-style-guns
They’re a business and will operate the way they want. If they don’t want to sell a certain basketball players shoes or a foot ball players jersey, you’d call it racist though.........just sayn’

Sapidus

They’re a business and will operate the way they want. If they don’t want to sell a certain basketball players shoes or a foot ball players jersey, you’d call it racist though.........just sayn’

God you're dumb.

If they don't carry a product that is their choice.

The problem is when they decide who to offer their services to.

Why is that such a difficult concept for you to get?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, so much for buying any accessories for my Ruger there. "Assault style" rifles my happy azz. You dont have to sell the stuff, and I dont need to buy anything from you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep, so much for buying any accessories for my Ruger there. "Assault style" rifles my happy azz. You dont have to sell the stuff, and I dont need to buy anything from you.

Midway and Sportsman Guide are loving life. And everything arrives at my shipping counter; never have to leave the shop. ;-) I've never bought anything firearm related from Dicks.

glhs837

Power with Control
Midway and Sportsman Guide are loving life. And everything arrives at my shipping counter; never have to leave the shop. ;-) I've never bought anything firearm related from Dicks.

Did buy my 10/22 there but wont bother going back for anything. And I mean anything. Not just firearms stuff.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Grab a Gun out of Texas is where I have purchased a few rifles and shotguns - they are very good, very competitive in pricing, and every order ship for only $7.99 regardless of amount of merchandise, and paying the normal dealer transfer fee always comes out better than brick and mortar dealers. I also get stuff from Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, and sometimes Sportsman Guide. Saving the tax here in Fl many times offsets shipping costs and always beats local dealer prices.

I always found Dicks overpriced for both guns and ammo, along with most of the rest of their merchandise, but they usually have a good supply of both, so sometimes they can be convenient.

Last edited:

Sapidus

Did buy my 10/22 there but wont bother going back for anything. And I mean anything. Not just firearms stuff.

Good thing we know where you stand.

At least this company is putting lives before profits.

Unlike our politicians.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I always found Dicks overpriced for both guns and ammo, along with most of the rest of their merchandise, but they usually have a good supply of both, so sometimes they can be convenient.

I buy all my ammunition almost exclusively from online sources....but occasionally from my local gun shop (Bob's) because I like to keep throwing some business his way.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I buy all my ammunition almost exclusively from online sources....but occasionally from my local gun shop (Bob's) because I like to keep throwing some business his way.

Same philosophy here - almost always better economically.

glhs837

Power with Control
Good thing we know where you stand.

At least this company is putting lives before profits.

Unlike our politicians.

See, you look at the surface, not through the clear lens of reality. In reality, they haven't sold weapons of this made up category in most stores since Sandy Hook. Wont affect thir profits, and wont save any lives, so it's just blather, really.

Sapidus

See, you look at the surface, not through the clear lens of reality. In reality, they haven't sold weapons of this made up category in most stores since Sandy Hook. Wont affect thir profits, and wont save any lives, so it's just blather, really.

And you didn't even read the article before you made up your mind.

it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

So you are saying that not selling any gun regardless of type to any 18-21 year old nation wide won't cut into their profit? You don't have much of a head for business do you?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Not to mention the fact that their sales here in MD were already restricted to almost the same degree by MD's 2013 gun control law. Old news..no real effects.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You missed this
In reality, they haven't sold weapons of this made up category in most stores since Sandy Hook.
Yer welcome.

What Dicks' did is called "virtue signalling"

glhs837

Power with Control

So you are saying that not selling any gun regardless of type to any 18-21 year old nation wide won't cut into their profit? You don't have much of a head for business do you?

See, I not only read the article, I did this crazy thing called additonal reearch. Thats where you look for more than one source and find additional information to inform yourself. Thats how you find out that Dicks makes no real change to over 700 locations hwere it hasn't sold these since Sandy Hook, so the assault style ban only applies to 23 locations. Want to bet that the amount od sales to people of that age makes up a staticitacally insignificant amount of sales? Of course, we wont see those numbers, becuase this is low/no impact feel good stuff.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-assault-style-rifles-citing-florida-shooting

The company, which operates more than 715 locations, already had pulled assault-style weapons from Dick's stores after the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting; now it will also stop selling the weapons at its subsidiary Field & Stream stores.

Stack said the decision to eliminate assault-style rifles is permanent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_%26_Stream_(retailer)

Headquarters Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, United States
Number of locations 23 (August 2016)[1]

GregV814

Hey Spastic...FYI The guy that owns Dick's owns Field & Stream....he'll just transfer the equipment from retail to magazine ads.....