fifth third bank

transporter

Trump and the likes of GURPS, Gilligan, Hijinx, etc. got their little brains all in a tizzy when Fifth Third Bank announced it would offer one time bonuses and small pay raises to workers as a result of the tax cuts.

As Paul Harvey used to say...here's the rest of the story:

On Tuesday, that bank, Fifth Third, said it would buy back as many as 100 million corporate shares, a move that is projected to cost nearly $3 billion....

The $2.8 billion corporate share buyback dwarfs the estimated $48 million cost of the bank's wage hikes and one-time bonuses this year. (That gap will close somewhat in upcoming years, as the buyback is a one-time expenditure and the company will continue to pay out the increased wages.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ayout-to-shareholders/?utm_term=.ba243dfdc421

The caveat at the end of the second paragraph would have been more powerful for folks like Trump, GURPS, Gilligan, Hijinx, etc. if the author had put a time stamp on the "gap will close". Round up the pay raises and assume the one time bonuses will be paid every year and it will take 56 years for the amount Fifth Third has "invested" in its workforce to equal the amount it is giving back to shareholders.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Trump and the likes of GURPS, Gilligan, Hijinx, etc. got their little brains all in a tizzy when Fifth Third Bank announced it would offer one time bonuses and small pay raises to workers as a result of the tax cuts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ayout-to-shareholders/?utm_term=.ba243dfdc421

The caveat at the end of the second paragraph would have been more powerful for folks like Trump, GURPS, Gilligan, Hijinx, etc. if the author had put a time stamp on the "gap will close". Round up the pay raises and assume the one time bonuses will be paid every year and it will take 56 years for the amount Fifth Third has "invested" in its workforce to equal the amount it is giving back to shareholders.

Sounds good to me.......
Remember the “shareholders” are the owners of the bank. They invest money to make money and the bank is rewarding them for their investments. I woulld also tend to believe a large amount of the shareholders are employees, so they’re getting double rewards from management, it’s great system. I don’t understand why you think it’s bad. Invest, take chances, work hard, get rewarded.
That simple.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Why does a company buying back their stock bother you?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The caveat at the end of the second paragraph would have been more powerful for folks like Trump, GURPS, Gilligan, Hijinx, etc. if the author had put a time stamp on the "gap will close".

- I said NOTHING About and don't KNOW Anything Fifth Third Bank ... ya whiny #### ...
... but Glad to see I'm Still Living Large in YOUR Tiny Mind :diva:

Round up the pay raises and assume the one time bonuses will be paid every year and it will take 56 years for the amount Fifth Third has "invested" in its workforce to equal the amount it is giving back to shareholders.

Who Gives A Flying #### in a Rolling Doughnut ...
Why are you so JEALOUS of what the shareholders got paid ...

officeguy

This tax cut really seems to cause you a lot of pain. I am so sorry you dont make enough to benefit from it.