1 Samuel 9 Meet Saul

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 9:1 There was a Benjamite, a man of standing, whose name was Kish son of Abiel, the son of Zeror, the son of Bekorath, the son of Aphiah of Benjamin. 2 Kish had a son named Saul, as handsome a young man as could be found anywhere in Israel, and he was a head taller than anyone else.​

I know... it's a lot of commentary for just two verses.... but I'm going to be reading about this man for a while so I'd like to get to know the guy who would be the first king of Israel. Remember.... Israel is a Theocracy.... God is King.... but the Israelites wanted a king they could see. So look at who God chose as the first king of the Kingdom of Israel.

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

A mighty man of power: Kish, the father of Saul, was a wealthy and influential man in Israel. Saul came from a prestigious family, and was born to wealth and influence.

Saul was notable, not only for his family, but also for his appearance. Saul was tall (taller than any of his people) and good looking. In fact, there was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. Saul looked like a great king. If being king over Israel was all about image and appearances, Saul was the man.

In 1 Samuel 8, the people of Israel had just rejected the LORD God as king over Israel, because they wanted a king like all the surrounding nations had. What they really wanted was the image of a king, because God gave them the substance of a king better than any man could. Saul was exactly the type of king that the people wanted. He was the king from central casting. God is giving Israel the kind of leaders they wanted and deserved!

The name Saul means "asked of God." Israel was asking for a king, and Saul would indeed be the one "asked of God."

What is not mentioned in these first two verses is God. Saul came from a wealthy, influential family and was good looking. But there is nothing said about his relationship with the LORD God of Israel. There is nothing said because there was nothing to say!

Well, we know he was from a good family. They are in the line of Benjamin... that's good... remember Benjamin was Jacob's [who was later named Israel by God] youngest son. Joseph [coat of many colors.... stuck in a hole by his step brothers and then sold into slavery and then thrown in jail after a woman falsely accused him of making a pass at her.... then brought out of jail to translate a dream then got to be the top dog of Egypt then got his family to move to Egypt on some prime grazing land..... where they had to be rescued by God through Moses] was Benjamin's brother by blood.

We know he was tall and handsome. Now this cracks me up.... the people wanted a king they could see.... so God gave them a king who was easy to look at!

:coffee: