Warning: Facebook Is Collecting Your Biometric Info Without Permission

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When you go to the settings, you may find, as I did, that the permission was already set to YES. If you don’t want Facebook to use face recognition, you need to change the setting to NO to opt out.

What this means is that Facebook has been using your face across the web without ever having asked you for permission. Also, note that if you choose to say YES and allow them to use face recognition, you're also agreeing to opt in to “unspecified features we may add later.”

It’s a terrible way to treat their users, essentially the part about using our biometric data without first asking for permission so they can gather more data about us and share that information with whomever they choose. There's really no limit to what they can do with this data, including tracking our identity across the web and learning much more about what we do outside of the Facebook app. Imagine their ability to access photos we may appear in from other sources such as in friends' photos, the DMV, security cameras, and photo IDs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Facebook is a free service that is completely voluntary. If you do not want FB collecting your data, there's a simple solution to that.

Facebook is collecting nothing from me... Now Google & Amazon are a different story..

I hate that Google is so intimately involved in my online presence, but you need to have a Google account to get certain things done.

Otherwise, I'm pretty low profile. No facebook, no twitter, no amazon, etc.......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The ones I love are the DNA testing companies. You are paying them to acquire your DNA. :crazy:

Apparently these suckers didn't read Crichton's Next.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The ones I love are the DNA testing companies. You are paying them to acquire your DNA. :crazy:

which they then hand over to various law enforcement agencies .... on fishing expeditions

Man became suspect in murder and rape case after DNA his father donated to Mormon genetic research was sold to Ancestry.com and then tested by police

Idaho Falls Police Department had a warrant to seize the genetic information later sold to Ancestry.com in an attempt to find a DNA match to the sample found on Angie Dodge, a teenager who was raped and murdered.

Michael Usry Jr., a contractor living near Jackson, Mississippi, had donated his DNA 10 years earlier thinking he was helping further the Mormon Church's goal to find a 'genetic blueprint' for humans.

Usry Sr. showed up as a familial DNA match, but police turned to his son because he fit the 20-something age range investigators were seeking.

[CLIP]

Ancestry.com and 23andme officials say their databases aren't useful to most criminal investigations because they analyze regions of DNA different from the locations forensic experts explore.

However, that hasn't stopped investigators stumped on cold cases from contacting the companies for help.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
When you go to the settings, you may find, as I did, that the permission was already set to YES. If you don’t want Facebook to use face recognition, you need to change the setting to NO to opt out.

What this means is that Facebook has been using your face across the web without ever having asked you for permission. Also, note that if you choose to say YES and allow them to use face recognition, you're also agreeing to opt in to “unspecified features we may add later.”

It’s a terrible way to treat their users, essentially the part about using our biometric data without first asking for permission so they can gather more data about us and share that information with whomever they choose. There's really no limit to what they can do with this data, including tracking our identity across the web and learning much more about what we do outside of the Facebook app. Imagine their ability to access photos we may appear in from other sources such as in friends' photos, the DMV, security cameras, and photo IDs.

Where in settings? I cannot find anything concerning biometric.

black dog

Free America
I hate that Google is so intimately involved in my online presence, but you need to have a Google account to get certain things done.

Otherwise, I'm pretty low profile. No facebook, no twitter, no amazon, etc.......

Amazon can tell the world that this guy sure buys lots of 1/4" 20 truss head screws.
I leave gps turned off on my phone, that helps some it seems with Google...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In settings --> Facial Recognition:

Face Recognition Settings
To recognize whether you're in a photo or video our system compares it with your profile picture, and photos and videos that you're tagged in. This lets us know when you're in other photos and videos so we can create better experiences. Learn more.

Mine has always been set to No.

And I'm not sending them my DNA, either. Or my fingerprint.

Clem72

Facebook is collecting nothing from me... Now Google & Amazon are a different story..

As long as no one else who uses Facebook ever mentions you, or uploads photos with your face in them. They have pretty sophisticated shadow accounts for people who have never even visited their site.