1 Samuel 9 Weird Stuff Coming

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 9:25 After they came down from the high place to the town, Samuel talked with Saul on the roof of his house. 26 They rose about daybreak, and Samuel called to Saul on the roof, “Get ready, and I will send you on your way.” When Saul got ready, he and Samuel went outside together. 27 As they were going down to the edge of the town, Samuel said to Saul, “Tell the servant to go on ahead of us”—and the servant did so—“but you stay here for a while, so that I may give you a message from God.”​

1 Samuel 10:1 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance?[a]​

a. 1 Samuel 10:1 Hebrew; Septuagint and Vulgate over his people Israel? You will reign over the Lord’s people and save them from the power of their enemies round about. And this will be a sign to you that the Lord has anointed you ruler over his inheritance

I really don't like joining chapters but this one was natural. As a matter of fact, I might just repeat verse 1 in the morning... because it fits in both chapters....

This is from Bible.org.

There is a further conversation between Samuel and Saul on the roof before Saul settles down for the night. Early the next morning, Samuel awakens Saul to send him on his way privately before the people are up and about and watching him with great curiosity and interest. As they are leaving town, Samuel instructs Saul to send his servant on ahead so that he can speak privately with him. When he does so, Samuel takes his flask of oil and anoints Saul’s head, kissing him, and informing him that God has indeed chosen him to be ruler over all Israel.

This is from enduringword.com.

No doubt, Samuel told Saul all about Israel’s desire for a king and how he had to be a good king for Israel.

We can imagine Samuel saying: “Look Saul, you have a lot going for you. You have the image, you are a humble man, and you will have the support of the people. But if you don’t give your heart to serving God, and submit to Him as your king, you will never be a fit king for Israel.”

Queen Victoria reigned over Great Britain for 64 years. When she was 11 years old, her governess showed her a list of the kings and queens of England with her name added at the end. When she understood what it meant she burst into tears. Then she controlled herself and said solemnly, “I will be good.” Here, Samuel gave Saul the opportunity to say with his heart, “I will be good.”

Saul is now the first king of Israel. It's a complicated task.... no one has ever been king of Israel. But Israel wanted to be a kingdom rather than a theocracy.... so God did the democratic thing and stepped aside for the first anointed king. Oh Saul.... what in the world have you gotten yourself into?

:coffee: