1 Samuel 10 Anointed Saul

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 10:1 Then Samuel took a flask of olive oil and poured it on Saul’s head and kissed him, saying, “Has not the Lord anointed you ruler over his inheritance? 2 When you leave me today, you will meet two men near Rachel’s tomb, at Zelzah on the border of Benjamin. They will say to you, ‘The donkeys you set out to look for have been found. And now your father has stopped thinking about them and is worried about you. He is asking, “What shall I do about my son?”’

3 “Then you will go on from there until you reach the great tree of Tabor. Three men going up to worship God at Bethel will meet you there. One will be carrying three young goats, another three loaves of bread, and another a skin of wine. 4 They will greet you and offer you two loaves of bread, which you will accept from them.

5 “After that you will go to Gibeah of God, where there is a Philistine outpost. As you approach the town, you will meet a procession of prophets coming down from the high place with lyres, timbrels, pipes and harps being played before them, and they will be prophesying. 6 The Spirit of the Lord will come powerfully upon you, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. 7 Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.​

While I was reading about the three men near Tabor.... I wanted to sing... "and a partridge in a pear tree". This is very specific, however, so I shouldn't be coming up with attempts at a quip.

This is from the blueletterbible.org.

Samuel gives Saul a specific, prophetic word from God, by which Saul can have confidence that his anointing by Samuel was really from God. If there were no men by Rachel's tomb, or if there was only one man and not two, then Saul should know that Samuel was not really speaking from God.​

Samuel is giving Saul such specific predictions that they can be exactly verified. God may have a place for vague, broad words (such as saying to an audience of five hundred people, "There is someone here with a headache …"), but they are not remarkable evidence of prophecy.​

This is from Bible.org.

No doubt, this is a bomb shell for Saul. From the events of the previous day and the mysterious statements Samuel has made to Saul, it is evident that Samuel might be speaking of Saul as the coming king. But now there is no possibility for misunderstanding. Samuel’s words and actions (the anointing) make it very clear that Saul has been appointed and anointed to be the king. But Saul is a man who needs some convincing. So Samuel prophesies regarding the events which will happen in the next few hours. First, on the road to Rachel’s tomb they will meet two men, who will inform them of what Samuel has already told them, namely that the lost donkeys have been found, and Saul’s father is now worried about his son.​

So the pretty boy from a good family has been anointed as king of Israel. The Israelites wanted to be like everyone else. They didn't want a Theocracy.... so now Israel is the kingdom of Israel.... and there is a king instead of a judge. Imagine what it would be like to be Saul... his dad lost some donkeys.... he was just trying to find his donkeys and this guy anoints him king! In my imagination.... Saul keeps shaking his head and saying.... "this can't be happening".... "this is crazy"....

:coffee: