US aluminum and steel mills restating idle plants...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
US aluminum and steel mills restarting idle plants...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-st...-plant-operations-to-handle-demand-1520430223

United States Steel Corp. on Wednes#day said it would fire up a blast fur#nace in Gran#ite City, Ill., and call back 500 work#ers. Cen#tury Alu#minum Co.said last week it will restart lines at a smelter in Ken#tucky that have been cur#tailed since 2015, dou#bling its work#force there to 600.

Last edited:

transporter

I guess Democrats see this as bad?

PLEASE...PLEASE try to learn SOMETHING before you die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mp-not-to-do-the-same/?utm_term=.9c5aa86da401

https://www.ft.com/content/4e750190-21a9-11e8-a895-1ba1f72c2c11

How is it that you STILL don't understand the US economy is a massive entity? Sure...500 workers go back to work in a steel plant, temporarily, that is great for them. Yet, 5000 workers will lose their jobs someplace else in the economy.

Read the Wapo article...they didn't interview Nancy Pelosi they interviewed Bush (43) admin people. NONE...nadda...zero...are FOR Trump's idea. Anyone who claims to be a Republican would be against this.

The result of Bush's tariffs was a $30 million hit to the economy, according to a lengthy government report from the U.S. International Trade Commission in 2003. Studies by outside groups conclude that the United States lost jobs because of the move: The employment gains in factories that make raw steel were outweighed by job losses in other industries, especially at companies that take raw steel and make it into parts for cars and appliances.

You are the rest of the ignorati always scream that the govt shouldn't be "picking winners and losers" (despite the fact that it always does). How is this not picking winners and losers...a few workers win while many workers and the overall economy loses. Take the ring out of your nose, open your eyes and learn something.

BOP

PLEASE...PLEASE try to learn SOMETHING before you die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mp-not-to-do-the-same/?utm_term=.9c5aa86da401

https://www.ft.com/content/4e750190-21a9-11e8-a895-1ba1f72c2c11

How is it that you STILL don't understand the US economy is a massive entity? Sure...500 workers go back to work in a steel plant, temporarily, that is great for them. Yet, 5000 workers will lose their jobs someplace else in the economy.

Read the Wapo article...they didn't interview Nancy Pelosi they interviewed Bush (43) admin people. NONE...nadda...zero...are FOR Trump's idea. Anyone who claims to be a Republican would be against this.

You are the rest of the ignorati always scream that the govt shouldn't be "picking winners and losers" (despite the fact that it always does). How is this not picking winners and losers...a few workers win while many workers and the overall economy loses. Take the ring out of your nose, open your eyes and learn something.

Why do you hate America?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tariffs, ya'll.

Daddy's successes generate mixed emotions in me. On one hand, it's fun to see progbot heads explode and watch them try to come up with reasons why MAGA is a bad thing. On the other hand, it depresses me that they do that. If you hate America so much, get your ass out. There are immigrants all over the world who would gladly take your place.

Chris0nllyn

If it didn't work before, what on earth would make anyone think they'd work now?

It's a terrible policy choice and essentially a tax (after touting lowering them).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If it didn't work before, what on earth would make anyone think they'd work now?

But it did work before. Until the politicians and the union bosses and the global moneymen got involved, it worked just fine.

It's a terrible policy choice and essentially a tax (after touting lowering them).

Walk with me a minute:

Steel workers employed; making good money; communities are economically thriving.
Politician says, "Hey, my buddy in another country can get us steel for much cheaper."
We import foreign steel.
US steel plants close; steel workers are unemployed; communities crash into economic decline.

You can rail about higher steel prices - OR you can celebrate people being employed and their communities being revitalized, which also puts money back into the economy and the Treasury.

Sapidus

But it did work before. Until the politicians and the union bosses and the global moneymen got involved, it worked just fine.

Walk with me a minute:

Steel workers employed; making good money; communities are economically thriving.
Politician says, "Hey, my buddy in another country can get us steel for much cheaper."
We import foreign steel.
US steel plants close; steel workers are unemployed; communities crash into economic decline.

You can rail about higher steel prices - OR you can celebrate people being employed and their communities being revitalized, which also puts money back into the economy and the Treasury.

Well continue that "walk" now the prices for all goods and services that include steel and aluminum are going to cost more so even though those people are employed they are now paying a higher price for everything so are they really ahead?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well continue that "walk" now the prices for all goods and services that include steel and aluminum are going to cost more so even though those people are employed they are now paying a higher price for everything so are they really ahead?

Yeah, they're probably much better off on welfare and living in government housing in a dead city. :yay:

You Leftists do love your dystopia, don't you?

Midnightrider

Yeah, they're probably much better off on welfare and living in government housing in a dead city. :yay:

the few people that get jobs from these tariffs will be at the expense of higher costs to all of us. Its just another tax, and one that has minimal return on the investment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the few people that get jobs from these tariffs will be at the expense of higher costs to all of us. Its just another tax, and one that has minimal return on the investment.

So you are in fact in favor of outsourcing, i.e. putting Americans out of work in order to obtain cheap goods that enrich the evil corporations who are trying to kill us all and in many cases fund terrorist organizations?

Well, good for you, but I am against it and am positive I'm not in the minority.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's kind of hilarious to see all you Walmart-haters now in favor of low wages and destruction of communities by global corporations. :lol:

#resist

:lmao:

luvmygdaughters

I was just discussing this with my husband last night. I thought the tariffs may do this, actually start utilizing our people and resources again!!! Always thought it was ridiculous to import something we can and have produced in this country!!! Go Trump!! MAGA!!

Midnightrider

So you are in fact in favor of outsourcing, i.e. putting Americans out of work in order to obtain cheap goods that enrich the evil corporations who are trying to kill us all and in many cases fund terrorist organizations?

Well, good for you, but I am against it and am positive I'm not in the minority.
that's not even a good strawman.

we are talking about tarrifs, not outsourcing. I am against increased taxes. There are other ways to fight the trade war than to tax americans.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

They wont be happy until they turn the United States into a Third World country.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's kind of hilarious to see all you Walmart-haters now in favor of low wages and destruction of communities by global corporations. :lol:

#resist

:lmao:

They must have all this written down so they can keep track of where they are in any given moment Trump speaks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They must have all this written down so they can keep track of where they are in any given moment Trump speaks.

Nah, it's easy. Whatever Trump says, they say it's a terrible idea, will kill us all, and Trump is HitlerStalinSatan, not to mention a racist and misogynist, who needs to be impeached immediately.

No thought required.