1 Samuel 10 "What's up with Saul?"

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 10:8 “Go down ahead of me to Gilgal. I will surely come down to you to sacrifice burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, but you must wait seven days until I come to you and tell you what you are to do.”

9 As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul’s heart, and all these signs were fulfilled that day. 10 When he and his servant arrived at Gibeah, a procession of prophets met him; the Spirit of God came powerfully upon him, and he joined in their prophesying. 11 When all those who had formerly known him saw him prophesying with the prophets, they asked each other, “What is this that has happened to the son of Kish? Is Saul also among the prophets?”

12 A man who lived there answered, “And who is their father?” So it became a saying: “Is Saul also among the prophets?” 13 After Saul stopped prophesying, he went to the high place.​

I bet Saul got that vibration down his spine.... that's what I get when God's about to do something big in my life. Of course it's also kind of like that jump of exhilaration you get from fired up endorphins. That buzz.... that thrill.... it's like that.... only bigger... happier...

This is from the blueletterbible.org.

Seven days you shall wait: This is an important command. By the nature of their office, kings do not wait for anybody. Others wait for them. But Samuel commands Saul to wait for him, because the prophet of God had more real authority than this king over Israel! Saul had to show that even though he was a king, he was submitted to the LORD, and the LORD's prophet. Failing to wait for Samuel will get Saul into trouble on a future occasion.

When he had turned his back to go from Samuel, that God gave him another heart. Samuel could not give Saul another heart. Only the Spirit of the LORD could do that. To demonstrate this, God did not grant this change of heart to Saul until he left the presence of Samuel. God wanted Saul to honor and respect Samuel, but to never look to Samuel in the place of the LORD.

Is Saul also among the prophets? This phrase became a proverb describing astonishment that someone had become a religious fanatic. As some used to say of someone who was not a religious person who became very religious, "He got religion?" Saul was an unspiritual man who became very spiritual at the time when the Spirit of the LORD came upon him.

But who is their father? This question asks, "Who is the source of the inspiration upon the prophets?" If God is their inspiration, then why should it be strange that God could inspire an unlikely man such as Saul? "Who is the father of all these prophets of whom you speak, and among whom Saul is now one? who is it that instructs and inspires them with this holy art, but God? They have it not from their natural parents … but by inspiration from God, who, when he pleaseth, can inspire Saul, or any other man, with the same skill. And therefore wonder not at this matter, but give God the glory of it."

When he had finished prophesying: Saul prophesied without ever really being called as a prophet. This shows us that someone can receive prophecy as a gift from the Holy Spirit without really being a "prophet" in the sense of having that office or title.​

So Saul got a dose of the Holy Spirit and confused the fire out of everyone. I bet he even surprised himself.... that feeling...that super rush.... it generally means something monumental has happened in life.... something extremely natural but overwhelming at the same time....

Just a few days ago, Saul and his servant were minding their own business looking for his dad's donkeys. He thought maybe this "seer" might know where these valuable animals are. Not only does the "seer" know where the animals are.... he knows who Saul is... why Saul is there... and more... Saul didn't have to say anything.... the "seer" knew it all.... ON TOP OF THAT... that "seer" poured some oil on Saul's head and named him king of Israel! Then.... something else happened and Saul found himself out on the street talking all strange and stuff.... and Saul's friends are surprised at the change.... they don't recognize this new Saul with "religion".

Saul has to wait a week before he becomes king.... it's going to be crazy watching what happens to Saul.... right? The people that know Saul are asking "Is that Saul? What's up with Saul? Saul's got religion???!!!"

:coffee: