Annapolis Roundup: Medical Cannabis, Other Bills Advance

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Annapolis Roundup: Medical Cannabis, Other Bills Advance

Date: 03-10-2018 04:07 PM

Summary: Maryland legislation that expands the state's medical cannabis industry to include more minority ownership on Thursday passed in the House of Delegates -- where it had failed in the waning minutes of the session last year.

Click here for the full story...

Rommey

Constitutional amendment would allow election-day voter registration

A constitutional amendment that would allow a qualified individual to register and vote at a precinct polling place on Election Day passed in the House on Thursday.

Delegate Kirill Reznik, D-Montgomery, sponsored House bill 532, with 29 other delegates listed as sponsors. A state analysis found only 16 states, along with Washington, D.C., allow for same-day registration, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Currently, voter registration is continuous under Maryland law, but is closed from 9 p.m. on the 21st day preceding an election until the 11th day following it.

Delegate Nicholaus Kipke, R-Anne Arundel, took to the floor to urge the chamber to reject the legislation because it lacked an amendment requiring people who register and vote on the same day to present identification.

However, the House voted, 91-47, in favor of the bill.

I'm sure no one will try to falsely try to register and vote under this scheme. :rolleyes:
I'd like to know what safeguards are in place to prevent just anyone (i.e., not a legal Maryland resident) from registering and voting the same day.
The current requirements of proof are woefully inadequate for someone determined to fraudulently vote:
What information do I need to provide on the application?

In addition to basic identifying information, federal law requires that you provide on your voter registration application a Maryland driver’s license number or MVA ID Card number or, if you do not have a Maryland driver’s license or MVA ID Card, the last four digits of your social security number. Your application will NOT be processed unless you provide this information or affirm, under penalty of perjury, that you do not have a Maryland driver’s license, MVA ID Card, or social security number.
I'm sure someone determined to vote fraudulently would have no problem swearing they have no ID or SSN...

Which brings up the question: IF they require to show an ID to register, then why is it a problem to show an ID to vote?