Daylight Savings

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hope they don't do away with it. Springing ahead says "spring is coming" to me - yay! It signals more daylight and warmer weather. Falling back isn't as exciting, but it's a signal, too, that fall is on its way.

Starman

I hope they don't do away with it. Springing ahead says "spring is coming" to me - yay! It signals more daylight and warmer weather. Falling back isn't as exciting, but it's a signal, too, that fall is on its way.

Spring and fall arrive at the same time every year. The rest of us don’t need a pointless and arbitrary clock change to be aware of this fact.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Spring and fall arrive at the same time every year. The rest of us don’t need a pointless and arbitrary clock change to be aware of this fact.

You don't need a pointless and arbitrary birthday, either, but you probably celebrate yours in some way, don't you?

Starman

You don't need a pointless and arbitrary birthday, either, but you probably celebrate yours in some way, don't you?

Precisely. Just as I know when spring and fall will arrive, I also know when my birthday arrives — no reminder necessary.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Precisely. Just as I know when spring and fall will arrive, I also know when my birthday arrives — no reminder necessary.

You can certainly feel however you want. *I*, however, like springing ahead.

Not sure why you felt the need to criticize and argue.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Hi All;

I think there are some very good reasons to pick one (either Standard or Daylight Savings) and sticking with it.

Take a look at the recent Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams. Author Walker makes the point that heart attacks significantly increase following the Spring forward (and significantly decrease following the Fall back). BTW, Roenneberg makes the same point in what I think is even a better book (and I really liked Walker's effort) about sleep from a few years back in Internal Time: Chronotypes, Social Jet Lag, and Why You're So Tired.

Personally, I'm for sticking with Standard; in addition to the "heart attack angle," there has been some compelling reading/research the point of which is that DST suffers from the Law of Unintended Consequences (i.e., implemented to save energy DST actually increases energy usage). There's also some research suggesting that DST is "dangerous" regarding sleep patterns: we are less aware during the morning commute because we are actually getting up one hour earlier (and perhaps going to bed later meaning burning the candle at both ends). DST, the claim goes, actually makes morning driving (and other occupational chores conducted first thing) more dangerous/less efficient.

For what it's worth.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Tech

Stay with standard time, about 2 months of sunrise before 0500.

Stay with daylight saving, about 2 months of sunrise after 0800.

PeoplesElbow

I think it is kind of stupid, but I do like the fact that it keeps me from going into work in the morning and it being dark for 2 or more hours after I get there. I also appreciate the fact that the sun doesn't come up at 4am in the summer if we stayed off of daylight savings time.

SamSpade

Aside from the fact that I am used to it - I can't argue for its use unless it can be shown to me factually that it saves anything.

On the other hand, I've definitely been on the receiving end of the extra hour when I've been doing something all night.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm particularly annoyed with DST. I like the early sunrise so I can see when I'm outdoors dealing with dogs and chickens first thing in the morning.

GregV814

Heck, I don't know...seems to me that this change was to benefit farming and little more....like the horse and buggy its' time has passed....kind of like the fad of Kwaannzzaa and BHM....

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Heck, I don't know...seems to me that this change was to benefit farming and little more....like the horse and buggy its' time has passed....kind of like the fad of Kwaannzzaa and BHM....

This. There is no good reason to change the clocks anymore. On any given day throughout the year you have a set number of daylight hours. More in the summer than winter. The only thing that has ever changed was the clock.

luvmygdaughters

I hate leaving for work in the dark and arriving home from work in the dark. No daylight, except for the weekend, to enjoy. I say leave it at DST!