319 NYPD officers committed fireable offenses but kept their jobs

Chris0nllyn

Secret files obtained by BuzzFeed News reveal that from 2011 to 2015 at least 319 New York Police Department employees who committed offenses serious enough to merit firing were allowed to keep their jobs.

Many of the officers lied, cheated, stole, or assaulted New York City residents. At least fifty employees lied on official reports, under oath, or during an internal affairs investigation. Thirty-eight were found guilty by a police tribunal of excessive force, getting into a fight, or firing their gun unnecessarily. Fifty-seven were guilty of driving under the influence. Seventy-one were guilty of ticket-fixing. One officer, Jarrett Dill, threatened to kill someone. Another, Roberson Tunis, sexually harassed and inappropriately touched a fellow officer. Some were guilty of lesser offenses, like mouthing off to a supervisor.

During his first six years on the force, officer Raymond Marrero was accused of viciously beating one person, falsely arresting another, assaulting a third, and fabricating evidence against a fourth.

All told, by 2014, the city had paid about $900,000 to settle accusations against officer Marrero.

Yet the NYPD commissioner at the time, Ray Kelly, decided that wasn’t a reason to fire him. Instead he was put on dismissal probation and he forfeited 45 vacation days.

Marrero remains on the force today, earning almost $120,000 last year. He continues to patrol the streets, making dozens of arrests since he was found guilty by the department.

According to the department’s patrol guide, officers who lie about a “material matter” will be dismissed from the department, unless there are “exceptional circumstances.”

Among the officers listed in the Probation Files, at least 50 were found guilty of misleading or making “inaccurate” statements in official records, to grand juries, district attorneys, or internal affairs investigators — and yet were kept on the force.

False accusations from an officer can be enough to send an innocent person to prison. Earlier this year, for example, a Queens detective was convicted of fabricating drug evidence that sent an innocent man to jail for 52 days. In Brooklyn, allegations of witness and evidence tampering by the former homicide detective Louis Scarcella has led the district attorney to review more than 40 cases. To date, convictions in seven murder cases that Scarcella worked have been overturned — including one case where a wrongfully convicted man spent more than 20 years in prison.

One unnamed officer described by the Commission to Combat Police Corruption was assigned to a year of dismissal probation — and suspended for 122 days and docked pay for another 30 — for telling a supervisor that, as a single mother, she needed a couple of days to arrange for child care before being assigned to a new post.

Damon Porter, who left the NYPD in 2013, was one of the few who agreed to talk and provide BuzzFeed News with a copy of his disciplinary file.

While many of Porter’s charges were “relatively minor,” the trial commissioner, Robert Vinal, took him to task for being discourteous to a supervisor and not doing enough to investigate one case. Vinal recommended a year of probation — a significant statement considering that Porter’s partner in that case merely got a reprimand. But Commissioner Kelly felt that dismissal probation was not a strong enough penalty. He decided Porter was no longer fit to be a cop. Because he was one year shy of retirement age, that cost him at least $10,000 a year from his pension.

Just nine months later, Officer Ray Marrero’s rap sheet landed on Kelly’s desk.

Marrero had been found guilty of beating a man with a baton and of lying to the department. But Kelly decided he deserved a second chance. The commissioner signed off on his punishment: dismissal probation.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltag...mitted-serious?utm_term=.mvvqVpo9m#.mnxRWqErJ

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Chris and his little friends over at Buzzfeed hate cops. Gets in the way of their drug use.

Chris0nllyn

Buzzfeed published their database. It covers about 1,800 NYPD employees between 2011 and 2015.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltag...nduct-database?utm_term=.gkM6Q18pk#.aedjVk5n9

Using these documents, BuzzFeed News found that:

•At least 250 employees faced accusations of using excessive force, threatening someone, getting into a fight, or firing their gun unnecessarily. Some faced only minor penalties. School safety agents Rufus Felder, Lydia Goodwin, and Timothy Wheeler, for example, each lost five vacation days after using excessive force against students. After striking someone on the head and threatening to kill two people, Detective Denise Rinaldi lost 20 vacation days.

•NYPD rules say that, barring exceptional circumstances, officers who lie about a “material matter” must lose their jobs. But of the more than 100 employees in these files who were accused of lying on official reports, under oath, or during an internal affairs investigation, only a handful were fired, while others were docked anywhere from a few days to a month of vacation time. Officer Alexis Valdez, for example, lost 30 vacation days when he was found to have given false testimony to a grand jury.

•Of at least two dozen officers accused of conducting illegal searches, three-quarters suffered only a verbal reprimand, the loss of a few vacation days, or a similar penalty. Officer Erlene Wiltshire lost five vacation days after the department found she conducted a strip search without her supervisor’s approval or a reasonable suspicion that the individual had concealed evidence under her clothes.

•The department found at least 16 employees falsified records to collect overtime. Sgt. Ruben Duque, for example, submitted false overtime claims 93 times. He was put on probation, forfeited 30 vacation days, and ordered to pay back $6,000. Duque remains on the force today and collected over $50,000 in overtime pay in 2017, according to the latest New York City payroll data.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltag...base-explainer?utm_term=.tnvWM7jK5#.mcvQA9pnV

Chris0nllyn

And yet you're totally okay with the FBI raiding anyone associated with Trump and ginning up charges against them.

Really, spare me your bull####.

Where did I say that? Specifically.

If anyone is sparing anything, it's drummed up accusations not based on reality because we both know you won't come back with any sort of proof of what you claim.

glhs837

Power with Control
Chris and his little friends over at Buzzfeed hate cops. Gets in the way of their drug use.

I can like cops just fine and appreciate the awesome work done by 99% of them, and still hate that the police departments and municipalities they belong to will allow them to repeatedly and blatantly break the laws they are sworn to uphold without proper punishment. See, there's this thing, it's called judgment, where you view individual things differently than you view the whole. I can think OJ Simpson is a murdering ahole who bought his justice without hating black people. I can think that Nancy Pelosi is an increasingly senile politician and Californian without thinking all members of those groups are senile.

pointing out bad behavior by police that goes unpunished isn't the same as hating officers.

MiddleGround

I can like cops just fine and appreciate the awesome work done by 99% of them, and still hate that the police departments and municipalities they belong to will allow them to repeatedly and blatantly break the laws they are sworn to uphold without proper punishment. See, there's this thing, it's called judgment, where you view individual things differently than you view the whole. I can think OJ Simpson is a murdering ahole who bought his justice without hating black people. I can think that Nancy Pelosi is an increasingly senile politician and Californian without thinking all members of those groups are senile.

pointing out bad behavior by police that goes unpunished isn't the same as hating officers.

:yeahthat:

The big problem here is that certain people :cough: cannot seperate ANYTHING from politics. EVERYTHING is either a Democrat, Republican, or Trump issue.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I can like cops just fine and appreciate the awesome work done by 99% of them, and still hate that the police departments and municipalities they belong to will allow them to repeatedly and blatantly break the laws they are sworn to uphold without proper punishment.

:yay:

What He Said .... :yeahthat:

Hijinx

NYPD a force of over 34,000 officers, about 75 of these a year fail to perform as expected.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

While that is true, Chris consistently posts stories about alleged police misconduct, and frequently those stories are incomplete and one-sided. Not to mention he doesn't seem to care about misconduct when it's directed at his mortal enemy Donald Trump. In fact, he's actively applauded it.

So I'm still calling bull#### on his "concern".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where did I say that? Specifically.

If anyone is sparing anything, it's drummed up accusations not based on reality because we both know you won't come back with any sort of proof of what you claim.

Hey, cutie pie, everyone on this forum who cares gets to read your posts. I don't have to prove #### to you, especially since you already know considering you're the one who posted it.

If you can't remember what you post from moment to moment (drugs are bad, m'kay?), that's your problem and not mine.

Chris0nllyn

While that is true, Chris consistently posts stories about alleged police misconduct, and frequently those stories are incomplete and one-sided. Not to mention he doesn't seem to care about misconduct when it's directed at his mortal enemy Donald Trump. In fact, he's actively applauded it.

So I'm still calling bull#### on his "concern".

"Frequently"? :lol:

Am I, or anyone else, stopping you (or anyone) from posting the "other side" (from the supposed one-sided stories)? No.

What misconduct have I not cared about relating to Trump? Be specific. Not sure why this is so hard to do.

Hey, cutie pie, everyone on this forum who cares gets to read your posts. I don't have to prove #### to you, especially since you already know considering you're the one who posted it.

If you can't remember what you post from moment to moment (drugs are bad, m'kay?), that's your problem and not mine.

You can't provide proof (even though I allegedly do this "all the time") because in no instance have I ever done more than point out misconduct. Unfortunately, you and others of this forum, have a horrible habit of not asking how one feels about a certain topic and choose to base my (or others') opinions on your own preconceived notions.

I've repeatedly stated I don't hate cops, I think cops are needed in our society, I have friends and family that are cops, but does any of that actually matter to you? No, because you've admitted you don't ready #### that doesn't align with your own bias. That's fine, many people do it, but the issues comes when you try and peddle your beliefs as facts despite evidence of the contrary and absolutely no proof of what you allege. You blurt out some crazy-lady #### and choose to believe it.

Your problem is making accusations without proof. But don't feel bad, the people you've known here for decades also are guilty of it, so you're in good company.

Last edited:

MiddleGround

Based on several of your posts, replies, etc. that I have seen since I have been here, it is ALWAYS their problem and NEVER yours.

Chris0nllyn

Based on several of your posts, replies, etc. that I have seen since I have been here, it is ALWAYS their problem and NEVER yours.

I think it comes and goes. In some threads, she chastises other commenters for not doing their own footwork. For not providing a thorough and complete, dissertation-esque, rebuttal. Anything less is silly.

How about you pay attention to what's going on instead of commenting on that which you know nothing about? Then perhaps you could have a valid rebuttal instead of tossing out silly "Nuh uh!" non-answers.

Then in other threads, she does the very same thing she warns others not to do.

"valid rebuttal" :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
not asking how one feels about a certain topic

Let's be clear:

I give zero chits about your feelz. I presume that when you post an opinion on a link, that is indeed how you "feel" about it. If it's not, it's on you to communicate more effectively.

And now that your little lapdog has chimed in - "Yeah, Spike! Whatever you say, Spike! :pantpantpant:" - I have no interest in continuing this line of discussion.