The Man Who Knew Too Little: "The Blockade"

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
GLOUSTER, Ohio — At first, the experiment didn’t have a name.

Right after the election, Erik Hagerman decided he’d take a break from reading about the hoopla of politics.

Donald Trump’s victory shook him. Badly. And so Mr. Hagerman developed his own eccentric experiment, one that was part silent protest, part coping mechanism, part extreme self-care plan.

He swore that he would avoid learning about anything that happened to America after Nov. 8, 2016.

“It was draconian and complete,” he said. “It’s not like I wanted to just steer away from Trump or shift the conversation. It was like I was a vampire and any photon of Trump would turn me to dust.”

It was just going to be for a few days. But he is now more than a year into knowing almost nothing about American politics. He has managed to become shockingly uninformed during one of the most eventful chapters in modern American history. He is as ignorant as a contemporary citizen could ever hope to be.

James Comey. Russia. Robert Mueller. Las Vegas. The travel ban. “Alternative facts.” Pussy hats. Scaramucci. Parkland. Big nuclear buttons. Roy Moore.

He knows none of it. To Mr. Hagerman, life is a spoiler.

“I just look at the weather,” said Mr. Hagerman, 53, who lives alone on a pig farm in southeastern Ohio. “But it’s only so diverting.”

He says he has gotten used to a feeling that he hasn’t experienced in a long time. “I am bored,” he said. “But it’s not bugging me.”

It takes meticulous planning to find boredom. Mr. Hagerman commits as hard as a method actor, and his self-imposed regimen — white-noise tapes at the coffee shop, awkward scolding of friends, a ban on social media — has reshaped much of his life.

Extreme as it is, it’s a path that likely holds some appeal for liberals these days — a D.I.Y. version of moving to Canada.

Democrats, liberals and leftists have coped with this first year of the Trump presidency in lots of ways. Some subsist on the thin gruel of political cartoon shows and online impeachment petitions. Others dwell online in the thrilling place where conspiracy is indistinguishable from truth. Others have been inspired to action, making their first run for public office, taking local action or marching in their first protest rally.

Mr. Hagerman has done the opposite of all of them.

The fact that it’s working for him — “I’m emotionally healthier than I’ve ever felt,” he said — has made him question the very value of being fed each day by the media. Why do we bother tracking faraway political developments and distant campaign speeches? What good comes of it? Why do we read all these tweets anyway?

“I had been paying attention to the news for decades,” Mr. Hagerman said. “And I never did anything with it.”

At some point last year, he decided his experiment needed a name. He considered The Embargo, but it sounded too temporary. The Boycott? It came off a little whiny.

Mr. Hagerman has created a fortress around himself. “Tiny little boats of information can be dangerous,” he said.

He decided that it would be called The Blockade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-man-who-knew-too-little/ar-BBK5575?li=BBnb7Kz

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is nothing like being ignorant and wanting to stay that way.
Not knowing what is happening around you does not shield you from it's affects.

Hey, at least he admits it. At least he doesn't stay away from all news and current events, then come on here and start flapping his fingers, insisting he has all the "facts" like our homeprogs do.

Hijinx

Hey, at least he admits it. At least he doesn't stay away from all news and current events, then come on here and start flapping his fingers, insisting he has all the "facts" like our homeprogs do.

Our local progs are not ignorant of the facts. They just ignore them and make up their own.

glhs837

Power with Control
part extreme self-care plan.

I'm a bit confused by this self care term. A friend of my daughters, who'se recent update to her meet the arist profile describes her as an asexual lesbian, her FB has a lot of references to self care.

Hijinx

I'm a bit confused by this self care term. A friend of my daughters, who'se recent update to her meet the arist profile describes her as an asexual lesbian, her FB has a lot of references to self care.

An asexual anything is missing out on a lot in life.

SamSpade

Or worse, suggest we don't have any of the facts because we didn't run to the Internet to post all about it
when the news is good.