United flight attendant kills passenger's dog?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
https://nypost.com/2018/03/13/dog-dies-after-united-flight-attendant-forces-it-into-overhead-bin/

On Monday night, a dog died in a plane after a United Airlines flight attendant forced the dog into an overhead bin.

I thought for sure this was going to be one of those fake stories that dumb people pass around the internet, but apparently not. All the major news sites have the story and United issued a response:

"This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin," United stated. "We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them. We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again."

I don't even know what to say about this and I'm still not convinced it isn't a fake. I have never been on a single flight where there was room in the overhead for a dog carrier, and you'd think the owner would have vehemently objected to this and left the flight rather than risk her dog's life. Also, where were the other flight attendants when this one was trying to cram a dog in the overhead? Finally, the boarding attendant would have known that the dog's crate wouldn't fit under the seat and would have stopped the passenger right there.

There's a lot wrong with this story that makes me think it's bull####. If that turns out to be the case, I hope United sues the living chit out of the woman who made it up.

black dog

Free America
If it was put in the cargo hold it would have been fine.. The world is tired of stupid people that treat there pets like people.. All animals should be put in the bottom of the plane..

PeoplesElbow

If it was put in the cargo hold it would have been fine.. The world is tired of stupid people that treat there pets like people.. All animals should be put in the bottom of the plane..

I demand that they let my emotional support rhino on the plane.

black dog

Free America
I would never fly with my dog. In fact, that's how I came to be a road warrior.

https://forums.somd.com/threads/236929-Need-some-brilliant-ideas

It used to be so simple to travel...
From another article about that flight.
Passengers said that during their flight, an attendant insisted that the woman put her dog, which was held in a TSA-approved pet carrier, in an overhead bin for the rest of the flight.

Passengers heard barking during the flight, but didn’t learn that the dog had died until the flight was over.

Maybe it was put in the overhead because it wouldn't shut up...

BOP

Passenger probably brought it aboard and it was sleeping, so nobody noticed. Later, when they were airborne and the puppy was acting up, their only choices were to turn around and land, or stuff it in the overhead. That's my guess and it's as good as anybody's.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I would never fly with my dog. In fact, that's how I came to be a road warrior.

https://forums.somd.com/threads/236929-Need-some-brilliant-ideas

I never knew your story about how Apollo came to be with you. A tad before my time here. What an awesome happy ending! Happy for you both, and Monello, too. :smile:

And, it is just awful what happened to that dog stuffed into the over head bin. The airline allowed the dog on the plane. They should be sued into bankruptcy, and beyond. I know some question if this story is legit. I hope we hear more on this, and find out the truth.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
does anyone know why the dog died ?

is the air thinner in the overhead :shrug:

black dog

Free America
does anyone know why the dog died ?

is the air thinner in the overhead :shrug:

The oxygen level might be alittle low in a closed box...
It looks like the dead horse in ' Animal House '
180313-dead-puppy-united-flight-feature.jpg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The oxygen level might be a little low in a closed box...
It looks like the dead horse in ' Animal House '

the Reddit thread I saw on this topic also stated 'frenchies' [the type of dog] are high stress and or frail to start with
so basically yeah, low oxygen ... an easily stressed dog and it keels over dead with little interaction

glhs837

Power with Control
So, seeing the size of that carrier, you an see how it would easily fit in the overhead, but be too tall to fit under the seat. Which is what I read, FA came through, saw the carrier was not under the seat, and insisted that it go into the overhead. People, including witnesses say that the owners informed the FA that it was a dog, but there the owners and the FA stores diverge. FA says she either didn't hear it or misunderstood them, owners say she felt the dog through the carrier.

Dog allegedly barked in the overhead bin for two hours, FA refused to let them check when the dog stopped barking two hours into the 3.5 hour flight due to turbulence. Small, panicky dog, tight quarters, I can see it dying of stress. United cant do a thing right.

And yes, I would deplane before allowing anyone to place any of my dogs in the overhead bin.

Hijinx

So, seeing the size of that carrier, you an see how it would easily fit in the overhead, but be too tall to fit under the seat. Which is what I read, FA came through, saw the carrier was not under the seat, and insisted that it go into the overhead. People, including witnesses say that the owners informed the FA that it was a dog, but there the owners and the FA stores diverge. FA says she either didn't hear it or misunderstood them, owners say she felt the dog through the carrier.

Dog allegedly barked in the overhead bin for two hours, FA refused to let them check when the dog stopped barking two hours into the 3.5 hour flight due to turbulence. Small, panicky dog, tight quarters, I can see it dying of stress. United cant do a thing right.

And yes, I would deplane before allowing anyone to place any of my dogs in the overhead bin.

If it isn't a service dog it doesn't belong in the passenger compartment.

glhs837

Power with Control
If it isn't a service dog it doesn't belong in the passenger compartment.

Now, loose or even on a leash I agree with you, has to be a true service animal. In a carrier though, I disagree. If the animal is well behaved and in a carrier, I don't have any objections.

officeguy

Other airlines refuse to transport snub nosed dogs like pugs and french bulldogs. For some reason, they don't tolerate flying very well. It is entirely possible that the pooch would have died even in its assigned position underneath the seat in front of the passenger.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dog allegedly barked in the overhead bin for two hours,

That's another reason why I think this is a bull#### story. Passengers are really going to sit on a plane with a dog barking for 2 hours and not lose their mind? Plus the FA says she didn't know it was a dog - yeah, what did you think that barking was, dumbass?

This has to be a hoax.