They don't even bother to try and hide it anymore

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Democrats Release Tax Hike Plan

Increase the top marginal income tax rate from 37 percent to 39.6 percent.
Increase the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 25 percent.
Bring back the alternative minimum tax (AMT) for 4 million families.
Cut the "death tax" standard deduction in half.

That sounds like a "tax on the rich", but it's not. Rich people know how to shelter their money and it's all perfectly legal. Oprah and Bill and Warren and their buddies all have foundations and trusts and whathaveyou that are untaxed. Warren Buffett himself famously said that his secretary a higher tax rate than he does - and that's because he's arranged his finances to be largely nontaxable.

We saw how lowering the corporate tax resulted in bonuses and raises for employees, and factories being brought back in to the US, creating jobs. Not sure why the Dems want to tank that, unless it's just pure corruption and palm greasing.

At best, this is a tax on the upper middle class, and as such is just more class warfare rabble rousing, while the real fat cats remain untouched.

SamSpade

For all their bluster about how the tax cuts will explode the debt, you can bet that any tax hike proposal they come up with arrives with new spending.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For all their bluster about how the tax cuts will explode the debt, you can bet that any tax hike proposal they come up with arrives with new spending.

Of course. They have never given a single damn about the debt.

transporter

Good lord...

Please go pull up the tax brackets and see what income level is the bottom level for the top income tax bracket. Go find it yourself...learn something.

Pushing the corp tax to 25% is 10% below where it was in Dec....forgot that already??? How could you it is listed in the article.

The AMT is good concept but poorly enacted.

Your comment about wage increases bonuses and factories completely ignores (as is usual on here) the fact that the overwhelming percentage of the corp tax cut is being used for share buybacks and div increases...you and the rest of the ignorati continually point to the outlier and paint it as the common event.

MiddleGround

Good lord...

Please go pull up the tax brackets and see what income level is the bottom level for the top income tax bracket. Go find it yourself...learn something.

Pushing the corp tax to 25% is 10% below where it was in Dec....forgot that already??? How could you it is listed in the article.

The AMT is good concept but poorly enacted.

Your comment about wage increases bonuses and factories completely ignores (as is usual on here) the fact that the overwhelming percentage of the corp tax cut is being used for share buybacks and div increases...you and the rest of the ignorati continually point to the outlier and paint it as the common event.

At least it is an event to speak of!

Feel free to point out anything like these bonus giving events say in the previous 8-10 years. TIA :tap:

In fact, I seem to remember many complaining that they didn't get raises and/or bonuses for quite a few years.

Chris0nllyn

Feel free to point out anything like these bonus giving events say in the previous 8-10 years. TIA :tap:

In fact, I seem to remember many complaining that they didn't get raises and/or bonuses for quite a few years.

I've received a christmas bonus (normally a few hundred bucks) and an average raise of 7%-10% per year, every year, for the last 8. :shrug:

MiddleGround

I've received a christmas bonus (normally a few hundred bucks) and an average raise of 7%-10% per year, every year, for the last 8. :shrug:

:smh:

I realize that there are people in this country that have gotten bonuses in the last few years Chirs. The POINT of the reply was to show evidence of what is happening NOW. With many major companies announcing company-wide bonus programs due to the tax changes.

terbear1225

that's fantastic for you. It also makes you the outlier, and clearly transporter doesn't want anyone to " point to the outlier and paint it as the common event"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've received a Christmas bonus (normally a few hundred bucks) and an average raise of 7%-10% per year, every year, for the last 8. :shrug:

I did at my last JOB [theme park] ... if the park did well we got bonuses, I got 5k AFTER Taxes one yr .... most were 3k ish
3% Raise every yr ...

I am a lowly contractor working for a Multi Billion Dollar Aerospace Defense Contractor ... that quibbles over which groups pays for conference room projector bulbs

no bonuses here ...

awpitt

Main Streeter
Democrats Release Tax Hike Plan

Increase the top marginal income tax rate from 37 percent to 39.6 percent.
Increase the corporate income tax rate from 21 percent to 25 percent.
Bring back the alternative minimum tax (AMT) for 4 million families.
Cut the "death tax" standard deduction in half.

That sounds like a "tax on the rich", but it's not. Rich people know how to shelter their money and it's all perfectly legal. Oprah and Bill and Warren and their buddies all have foundations and trusts and whathaveyou that are untaxed. Warren Buffett himself famously said that his secretary a higher tax rate than he does - and that's because he's arranged his finances to be largely nontaxable.

We saw how lowering the corporate tax resulted in bonuses and raises for employees, and factories being brought back in to the US, creating jobs. Not sure why the Dems want to tank that, unless it's just pure corruption and palm greasing.

At best, this is a tax on the upper middle class, and as such is just more class warfare rabble rousing, while the real fat cats remain untouched.

Sounds like the Dems don't even want to do good in the mid-term elections. Not to mention that this proposal will never see the light of day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like the Dems don't even want to do good in the mid-term elections. Not to mention that this proposal will never see the light of day.

You know as well as I do that party loyalty is strong. It's as strong as religious affiliation. WE may pay attention to what's going on, but we both know that most people don't.

The brand new Governor of New Jersey ran on a platform of raising taxes. He said it flat out, no obfuscation. And although New Jersey is already one of the highest taxed states in the nation, he was elected. Because Jerseyans just don't feel like they're already taxed enough. Or more likely because they weren't paying attention and just voted for the D.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You do realize that is far from the norm, right?..especially over the last decade. You are lucky enough to work for a company that can continually and regularly afford to do that.

Chris0nllyn

You are lucky enough to work for a company that can continually and regularly afford to do that.

I know, but just to refresh your memories.

I gave an example of exactly what was asked. Arguing that I'm lucky, or work hard, or outside the norm aside.