FIU ped bridge collapse. Your thoughts.

hitchicken

Not trying to 2nd guess the mech engineers on this one but…

The final design clearly shows a center pillar and a tower with support cables along the length of the bridge.

https://twitter.com/fiu_cec

But a shot of the bridge shortly after being rotated in place shows no center column or tower with supporting cables.

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/commun...ridge-move-across-southwest-8th-street/120395

Surely a hydraulic jack or temporary pillar could have been left at the center point… or the column could have been built before the rotation took place. Even without a pedestrian load, the collapse clearly shows a failure along most of its length indicating to me that the tower and supporting cables were, at a bare minimum, a necessary function of the design.

What do you mech engineers think?

Prayers for the victims of this terrible tragedy.

Tech

There was to be a spane over the canal to balance out the load, the center support pylon was to be on onside of the fallen span. Was there an impact load or were the tension cables not correctly installed.

PeoplesElbow

The first bridge ever constructed out of self cleaning concrete.....

By the way it's civil engineers that build bridges (targets), mechanical engineers build the weapons that blow up those targets :).

hitchicken

There was to be a spane over the canal to balance out the load, the center support pylon was to be on onside of the fallen span. Was there an impact load or were the tension cables not correctly installed.

You're correct. But as far as I can tell, the tower tension cables were not yet installed before the collapse.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm glad my daughter, who is working on her PhD at FIU right now, was nowhere near that collapse.
Sad that people died...somebody really screwed up. ;-(

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Not really seeing pictures that show the center support and tension lines not installed, any better sources of pictures?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
3 days ago:
Past weekend FIU unveiled First-of-it’s-kind pedestrian bridge. The 174-foot, 950-ton section of the bridge was built using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) methods, which are being advanced at our very own college. Some of our students were present at the site and left a lasting impression on many. Here is a quote about them: “I am very impressed by FIU’s Civil Engineering Students. We had a few wonderful discussions with the FIU ASCE Chapter members and other students. I think you can say they are among the best and brightest future engineers!” -Eliza S. Partington, Director of Lasting Impressions, FIGG Bridge Group.

black dog

Free America
Miller & Long tried the Accelerated Building with concrete Construction once.
We went to church with the Longs, Mr Long was a different man after that Tyson's collapse..

PeoplesElbow

A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews had dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place on a signature project that was intended to give Florida International University students a safe route across the busy roadway.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...iami-dade/article205316174.html#storylink=cpy

Excuse me ... are college students too stupid to cross the road ?

It was probably to help keep traffic flowing also. That area would have a very large number of crossers requiring long red lights. I'm sure you would bitch about that sitting in traffic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews had dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place on a signature project that was intended to give Florida International University students a safe route across the busy roadway.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...iami-dade/article205316174.html#storylink=cpy

Excuse me ... are college students too stupid to cross the road ?

You should research a little before commenting like that. Crossing that road on foot is akin to walking across 235...heavy traffic and all

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Crossing that road on foot is akin to walking across 235...heavy traffic and all

yeah ok .... :shrug:

so what, I've dodged traffic on DC City Streets ...
my observation still stands ...
I said nothing about traffic flow or interruption ....

a simple observation, are people to clueless to cross the road anymore