Collapsed FIU Bridge Was Funded by Federal Grant Program

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The pedestrian bridge that collapsed at Florida International University's Miami-Dade campus today, killing several people, was funded with $11.4 million from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Transportation Investments Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) program. The TIGER program has come under repeated fire for awarding money based on politics rather than merit.

Eight vehicles were reportedly crushed when the 174-foot, 950-ton pedestrian bridge, installed Saturday over Southwest Eighth Street in Miami, collapsed this afternoon. The bridge was supposed to demonstrate methods developed by FIU's Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC), whose work is also funded by U.S. DOT grants.

"This project is an outstanding example of the ABC method," said Atorod Azizinamini, the center's director, in a press release on Saturday. "This bridge is the result of great support from our congressional delegation and the U.S. Department of Transportation," said FIU CFO Kenneth Jessell in the same press release. "FIU and our surrounding community will benefit from this project for generations to come."

Collapsed FIU Bridge Was Funded by Federal Grant Program Criticized for Shoddy, Politicized Review Process

here are some of Transporters 'investments'

transporter

here are some of Transporters 'investments'

Thanks GOD!

It's been what 12 hours since GURPS could gleefully turn death into a right wing political commentary.

I've said it before...you truly are a POS.

PS...there you go...you got a reply so you made another nickel this morning...gonna put it towards ciggies or a 40?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Thanks GOD!

It's been what 12 hours since GURPS could gleefully turn death into a right wing political commentary.

PS...there you go...you got a reply so you made another nickel this morning...gonna put it towards ciggies or a 40?

hey Pot!

Kettles on line #2 for you!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

:buddies:

I take YOUR Low Opinion as HIGH Praise ... I Must Be Doing Something Correct

so ya got nothing, no comment about a QUESTIONABLE Federal Program .... more interested in politics that results

... gonna put it towards ciggies or a 40?

Racist ....

Last edited:

Hijinx

"This project is an outstanding example of the ABC method," said Atorod Azizinamini, the center's director, in a press release on Saturday. "

Well: Maybe not so outstanding.

black dog

Free America
I'm gonna guess and say that tall thingy and those fingers shown above the walking deck in the rendition drawings mighta helped hold it up...

officeguy

Where about 4,000 student live and walk to campus.

This is south Florida. While 4000 students may live in Sweetwater, only a tiny number will walk or bike to campus across that boondoggle of a bridge. They will continue to take a shuttle or drive their car to campus in the 100F 90% humidity of the Everglades.

But then, we are in Maryland where we are about to spend 65 Million dollars on a 'bicycle bridge to nowhere'.

Last edited:

Hijinx

This is south Florida. While 4000 students may live in Sweetwater, only a tiny number will walk or bike to campus across that boondoggle of a bridge. They will continue to take a shuttle or drive their car to campus in the 100F 90% humidity of the Everglades.

But then, we are in Maryland where we are about to spend 65 Million dollars on a 'bicycle bridge to nowhere'.

I thought they dropped plans for a Bike path on the new Nice Bridge we may get 4 years from now.

officeguy

I thought they dropped plans for a Bike path on the new Nice Bridge we may get 4 years from now.

When they announced the 'go' for the project, they stated they would use the design alternative with the bike path and that one is 65mil more than the one without. But who knows, maybe they have gone back to the 'shared bike lane' concept (a 'shared' lane on the Nice bridge just means that people who want to kill themselves don't have to go through the agony of jumping, just ride your bike and wait for an 18 wheeler to flatten you. Moron traffic planners.).

That's a lot of dough to connect Newburg with Dahlgren. And no, nobody is going to ride his bicycle from Waldorf to work at Dahlgren. The only folks who will ride that path across the river will arrive by car and do it for the 120ft elevation change and nice views.