HBCU Settlement Pending; Md. Lawmakers Say It's Not Enough

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: HBCU Settlement Pending; Md. Lawmakers Say It's Not Enough

Date: 03-19-2018 11:58 AM

Summary: Historically black colleges and universities in Maryland would receive up to $56.9 million annually under legislation, sponsors say, that would restore years of underfunding and program duplication by the state but is unlikely to pass.

Click here for the full story...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: HBCU Settlement Pending; Md. Lawmakers Say It's Not Enough

Date: 03-19-2018 11:58 AM

Summary: Historically black colleges and universities in Maryland would receive up to $56.9 million annually under legislation, sponsors say, that would restore years of underfunding and program duplication by the state but is unlikely to pass.

Click here for the full story...

Would anything ever be enough for perpetually offended?

glhs837

Power with Control
Would anything ever be enough for perpetually offended?

Been trying to parse this bit out.

In 2015, Blake proposed that the state establish high-demand programs at the four historically black institutions to attract more diverse students and help with desegregation.

This appears to be a request to place "STEM" like programs at the HBCU so as to attract other racial groups? Maybe. Are they saying there are too many black students at the HBCU?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Been trying to parse this bit out.

Are they saying there are too many black students at the HBCU?

sounded like funded 'programs' at white schools drew off black students, instead of having 'their own' Programs

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember reading something about this 2-3 years ago. Back in 80's-90's, enrollment at the state's HBCU's was so low that there was talk in the legislature of closing them down and driving everyone into the regular UM System. Based on public outcry, an arrangement was made where there would be no program duplication between the HBCU's and the UM. New programs would be assigned to the HBCU's with the ultimate goal of driving enrollment back up.

It appears that between the UM System and the Legislature, the HBCU's have been paid lip service all these years.

glhs837

Power with Control
sounded like funded 'programs' at white schools drew off black students, instead of having 'their own' Programs

No, that's a different thing. Thats the "original sin" thing they are wanting dollars straight up for. In adition to which is this other thing I pointed out. Sort of the reverse of the original sin. Like the state places STEM in the low income schools. Which gives lower income students a better shot at the program, since thier parents are very unlikely to be able to arrange alternate transportation for thier students. And also helps out the test scores of the low income school with the infusion of children who do better at tests. :)

But, if I place special programs that draw in "Other Than Black" students to an HBCU, am I being racist?