Great Mills Shooter in Custody; 2 Injuries; No Deaths

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Great Mills Shooter in Custody; 2 Injuries; No Deaths

Date: 03-20-2018 11:19 AM

Summary: Police just reported that the scene is contained and safe at Great Mills High School. Buses are transporting students to the reunification location at James Forrest Career and Technology Center in Leonardtown.

Click here for the full story...

Last edited by a moderator:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Update: Sheriff Cameron reports the shooter died at the Charles Regional Medical Center.

somdwatch

To all Families of Students of GMHS my prayers are with you.

For the parents of the shooter doubly so! Having been attached to a serious incident with my child. You will be questioning your parenting skills. You may have done everything right. Have faith in yourselves and what you have done right for your family member!

MR47930

To all Families of Students of GMHS my prayers are with you.

For the parents of the shooter doubly so! Having been attached to a serious incident with my child. You will be questioning your parenting skills. You may have done everything right. Have faith in yourselves and what you have done right for your family member!

Well they didn't lock up the guns in their home..

MR47930

We don't know that.

In fact, we don't know any of the personal details yet.
You're right. I shouldn't say things that haven't been validated and for that I'm sorry...

However, if it does come out that they raised a psycho AND had readily available firearms then they should be held accountable as well.

Hijinx

St. Mary's is not a trauma center. PG Hospital is and Charles Regional may be.

It's bullsh1t to take a priority one patient on an hours trip to Prince Georges Hospital.
I don't believe the hospital in la Plata is a Trauma hospital either, I believe he was taken there while they were on the way to PG and he went downhill on them, and they switched to the closest hospital. Perhaps he died in the ambulance, I don't know.
IMO it is crazy when the helicopter isn't flying to put a deathly ill patient in an Ambulance and transport for 75 miles when a hospital is in St. Mary's.
An hour and 20 minutes is a long time bouncing around in an ambulance. Even if a paramedic is in it with you.

This_person

Exactly.

It's easy to judge and play "Monday morning quarterback". I wish people would wait until all of the facts come out.

I do think it’s fair to assume a mental illness, even if it is a temporary one. Mentally fit people don’t kill kids who are posing no immediate physical threat.

mitzi

It's bullsh1t to take a priority one patient on an hours trip to Prince Georges Hospital.
I don't believe the hospital in la Plata is a Trauma hospital either, I believe he was taken there while they were on the way to PG and he went downhill on them, and they switched to the closest hospital. Perhaps he died in the ambulance, I don't know.
IMO it is crazy when the helicopter isn't flying to put a deathly ill patient in an Ambulance and transport for 75 miles when a hospital is in St. Mary's.
An hour and 20 minutes is a long time bouncing around in an ambulance. Even if a paramedic is in it with you.

Charles Regional is not a Trauma hospital. Nor Southern Maryland. The closest is the one in PG in Cheverly.

Hijinx

Charles Regional is not a Trauma hospital. Nor Southern Maryland. The closest is the one in PG in Cheverly.

I believe the one patient was taken to Washington Hospital Center, but the distance is about the same.
I of course do not know the story of why the ambulance went to La Plata, but I suspect he died on the way to PG and it didn't make sense to take a dead body all that way.

Now the Trauma centers are great, but when a person is involved in an auto accident and the Helicopters aren't flying, it's usually for bad weather.
Now if the weather is that bad, does it not make sense to take the trauma patient to the closest hospital?
First the time involved, second if the weather is bad for the helicopter it is also bad for the ground transport, which endangers the first responders.
Then we have to figure the beltway is a mess.

I put this here for discussion, not to plea that I know more than those who make the protocols.

mitzi

I believe the one patient was taken to Washington Hospital Center, but the distance is about the same.
I of course do not know the story of why the ambulance went to La Plata, but I suspect he died on the way to PG and it didn't make sense to take a dead body all that way.

Now the Trauma centers are great, but when a person is involved in an auto accident and the Helicopters aren't flying, it's usually for bad weather.
Now if the weather is that bad, does it not make sense to take the trauma patient to the closest hospital?
First the time involved, second if the weather is bad for the helicopter it is also bad for the ground transport, which endangers the first responders.
Then we have to figure the beltway is a mess.

I put this here for discussion, not to plea that I know more than those who make the protocols.

The girl is at PG, the deceased went to Charles Regional, the boy is at St. Mary's. It's been discussed for years on why there isn't a closer Trauma Center. I questioned why he went to Charles and was told our hospital can't take more than 1 gunshot victim. I find this hard to believe personally. What in the world would the protocol be if there is mass shooting in the Tri County area? Where would all the patients go? Makes you wonder. Scanner was saying CPR was in progress on one victim whom I'm assuming was the shooter. It makes sense what you said about transporting him the Trauma Center and he didn't make it. I'm just speculating and wondering about all of this.

Last edited:

Hijinx

The girl is at PG, the deceased went to Charles Regional, the boy is at St. Mary's. It's been discussed for years on why there isn't a closer Trauma Center. I questioned why he went to Charles and was told our hospital can't take more than 1 gunshot victim. I find this hard to believe personally. What in the world would the protocol be if there is mass shooting in the Tri County area? Where would all the patients go? Makes you wonder.

Well that is exactly right. I would like to think that when the "all call" went out for ambulances the hospital started to call in staff to handle the situation.
I would like to think that, but I don't know. I know years ago before Trauma centers that's what they did.