Hero?

This_person

29511004_854425188086815_2063805500251701248_n.jpg

This is Blaine Gaskill, the school resource officer who shot and stopped the shooter at Great Mills High School today.

I am of the mind that he is a hero, though he has to go to sleep tonight knowing he shot a child. Granted the child was involved in shooting at least one other person, and I am of the mindset that he is a hero because he likely saved other lives, today and in the future.

What say you?

He was someone who was paid to do a job, and when the time came, he did it effectively.

But yes, he is going to feel that action for long time to come.

MR47930

View attachment 121958

This is Blaine Gaskill, the school resource officer who shot and stopped the shooter at Great Mills High School today.

I am of the mind that he is a hero, though he has to go to sleep tonight knowing he shot a child. Granted the child was involved in shooting at least one other person, and I am of the mindset that he is a hero because he likely saved other lives, today and in the future.

What say you?

He should sleep well knowing he took a scumbag out of the gene pool and potentially saved the lives of many other kids.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I think the child's parents should feel a lot worse than Officer Gaskill.. He did his job...how many other lives were saved. When you kill a human life it always haunts you. If it doesn't, you shouldn't be in a position to do it. JMHO

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We don't know for sure if the kid killed himself or the SRO had a hand in it.

Most likely the kid was tore up because his girl broke up with him. He figures it's not worth living without her but he doesn't want anyone else to have her. Once he was cornered they say they fired almost simultaneously. Could be he knew they were closing in on him and he didn't want to face the consequences.

Or the cop just saved us a lot of grief and expense.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
He did his job and did it well.. People say he saved many lives. Well, maybe so but I think this kid just wanted to get the one girl and maybe take himself out.. I don't think he went there to do a mass shooting.. BUT, I just don't know..

This_person

He did his job and did it well.. People say he saved many lives. Well, maybe so but I think this kid just wanted to get the one girl and maybe take himself out.. I don't think he went there to do a mass shooting.. BUT, I just don't know..

No one knows, and no one can ever know. That said, even if he didn't plan on hurting more than one, future people know this happened to this guy, and will think twice. If even one would have been a mass shooter but didn't because of this (something we also will never know), that young officer deserves every laud we can provide.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Deputy Gaskill went to work this morning expecting a normal day, and ended up killing a student.

Two kids went to school this morning probably hoping for a snow day tomorrow, and now they are in the hospital with gunshot wounds and the girl is in highly critical condition.

Three sets of parents sent their kid off to school this morning, and within a couple of hours their lives have changed forever.

It's horrible and my sympathies are with everyone involved.

This_person

Deputy Gaskill went to work this morning expecting a normal day, and ended up killing a student.

Two kids went to school this morning probably hoping for a snow day tomorrow, and now they are in the hospital with gunshot wounds and the girl is in highly critical condition.

Three sets of parents sent their kid off to school this morning, and within a couple of hours their lives have changed forever.

Absolutely.

Hijinx

Amen

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay:

It's just an awful thing all around.

I'm just glad the SRO was on the ball, that more students weren't hurt and that SMCPS has good security in the schools.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Hero? No. Commendable for his actions taken? Yes. He followed his training and exercised the proper response to a threat. He did his job. And now, he will have the death of a 17 year old emotionally disturbed kid on his hands for the rest of his life. I'm am sure that he, and others in law enforcement, expect this kind of action to be against older, more criminally minded, more deserving, bad men. Not a child. I would not want to be him. Because of the circumstances. While there is honor in his actions, it a sad honor.

black dog

Free America
He was someone who was paid to do a job, and when the time came, he did it effectively.

But yes, he is going to feel that action for long time to come.

Yep, I have been listening to my father the last few nights confess a few decades of service to make peace with himself..

Yep, I have been listening to my father the last few nights confess a few decades of service to make peace with himself..

My dad was the guy who pulled the lever on depth charge ships during WWII. He's now 92 and it still haunts him that he might have killed.

Hijinx

If I may ...

Hero? No. Commendable for his actions taken? Yes. He followed his training and exercised the proper response to a threat. He did his job. And now, he will have the death of a 17 year old emotionally disturbed kid on his hands for the rest of his life. I'm am sure that he, and others in law enforcement, expect this kind of action to be against older, more criminally minded, more deserving, bad men. Not a child. I would not want to be him. Because of the circumstances. While there is honor in his actions, it a sad honor.

A 17 year old child can kill you as fast as a 45 year old man.
I know this deputy never wanted to kill anyone, but sometimes it comes with the job.