Prom tickets

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tweet just came through - Westlake HS prom tickets are $75! A person!!

Good grief.

I think our prom tickets were like $20.

Starman

Good grief.

I graduated high school in 1977. I have no idea what prom tickets cost, but let's go with $20, for the sake of simplicity.

Between 1977 and today, let's use around 3.5% average annual inflation. That $20 is close to $85 in 2018 dollars.

There's no "good grief" to be had. It's called inflation, and that's how it works.

It's too bad they don't teach this stuff in public schools.

black dog

Free America
I graduated in 1976, from Walter Johnson HS in Bethesda. It costs us nothing to go the prom, Its still a poorly ranked public school. What would that inflate to?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I graduated high school in 1977. I have no idea what prom tickets cost, but let's go with $20, for the sake of simplicity.
Between 1977 and today, let's use around 3.5% average annual inflation. That $20 is close to $85 in 2018 dollars.
There's no "good grief" to be had. It's called inflation, and that's how it works.
It's too bad they don't teach this stuff in public schools.

It's called the expansion of the money supply which in turn causes price inflation in all goods and services over time. And if they really taught this in schools, the entire country would riot against this theft of wages and one's labor.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Good grief.

Everything is crazy expensive these days compared to when we were in school. Heck, I remember having to raise $200 for a ten day marching band trip to San Antonio in 1980 (traveling from Boonsboro, MD). Today, that same $200 might pay for a one or two night band trip to NY.

Forkian

$75 is too much! Add the price of a tux/dress, dinner and I'm sure there are plenty of kids that just got priced out of this prom.

Grumpy

Took my ex to her prom in 72, tix-15, tux 22, no limo(don't think they were invented yet), dinner at Augustinos(?) in DC for 4 was 72 including tip. Prom was a complete bore but the afterparty at a friends house was fun. My memory is pretty shot nowadays and I have no idea why I remember these costs, probably cuz I was kicking and screaming that I really didn't want to go to the prom.

Hannibal

Took my ex to her prom in 72, tix-15, tux 22, no limo(don't think they were invented yet), dinner at Augustinos(?) in DC for 4 was 72 including tip. Prom was a complete bore but the afterparty at a friends house was fun. My memory is pretty shot nowadays and I have no idea why I remember these costs, probably cuz I was kicking and screaming that I really didn't want to go to the prom.

I graduated in '95 and have no idea what tickets costs. But there was an expense and in the scheme of the evening, the tickets were probably the least of them. Prom has become quite the social event and where it was once a memorable event for the simple celebration, it's now become a school's Hollywood-esque award show where it becomes as much about who's wearing what or what outrageous act takes place vs. the content. I feel bad for those who don't have the means to keep pace. It's now become about the big money dress, the expensive dinner and of course the limo ride. It can be a $1000 night.

In general, schools are passing along a tremendous amount of cost to the students. Of course, in this instance, students aren't obligated to attend so there is no cost liability but it does suck that some people want to go and cannot afford some of these prices. Aside from that, even with my kids in grade school - we are constantly getting requests for supplies, various money contributions to offset expenses, etc. I don't remember these charges when I was in school. It adds up. But public education used to be "free" and it is far from it now.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
One reason now is that the prom has to be an "experience". They're held off site, I can't remember the names but the high school where I taught had them in Alexandria, in DC and Baltimore on a party boat over the years as well as venues in Bowie and Laurel.

I think the last year I taught the cost was $125/person. That was 2014.

Someone mentioned the cost of the clothing. Then there is the limo cost and hotel room for the ritual deflowering. Then alcohol cost and cost of other recreational drugs.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Everything is crazy expensive these days compared to when we were in school. Heck, I remember having to raise $200 for a ten day marching band trip to San Antonio in 1980 (traveling from Boonsboro, MD). Today, that same $200 might pay for a one or two night band trip to NY.

Boonsburo,,,,,, We could be cousins :lmao:...I have family from Walkersville / Keymar / Woodsburo to Thurmont / Boonsburo to Hagerstown.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Boonsburo,,,,,, We could be cousins :lmao:...I have family from Walkersville / Keymar / Woodsburo to Thurmont / Boonsburo to Hagerstown.

Oh. Cool. I graduated from Boonsboro High School. I still have family in Hagerstown, Chambersburg, & Martinsburg.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

SMR trip to NYC Fri pm - Sun noon, $900. Transportation, most meals, 2 trips to the theater, museum attractions.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
SMR trip to NYC Fri pm - Sun noon, $900. Transportation, most meals, 2 trips to the theater, museum attractions.

What did I miss? I never went to any high school dances, let alone Homecoming or Prom's.

CRHS89

In the last few days I saw someone on one of the fb yardsale pages selling a prom dress for $800. I can't remember what they said it originally cost but I think it was over $1000. Holy moly.

black dog

Free America
What did I miss? I never went to any high school dances, let alone Homecoming or Prom's.

You missed alot.. As a kid we all hit a dance at a Mongomery Co HS or one of the Catholic HS's or Churches from Rockville to Little Flower Catholic Church on Mass Ave in Bethesda.

nutz

You missed alot.. As a kid we all hit a dance at a Mongomery Co HS or one of the Catholic HS's or Churches from Rockville to Little Flower Catholic Church on Mass Ave in Bethesda.

It was rumored that all the good catholic girls went to Saturday evening service so they didn't have to get up Sunday morning. Something about deflowering and watering with liquor outside the church hall. :whistle:

black dog

Free America
It was rumored that all the good catholic girls went to Saturday evening service so they didn't have to get up Sunday morning. Something about deflowering and watering with liquor outside the church hall. :whistle:

My first wife and I met the summer I turned 15 at a Little Flower dance on Mass Ave, I was from Bethesda and she a Italian Catholic from old Chevy Chase. She went to Immaculata HS in the district. She was a good girl.