What happened yesterday

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not a mass murder.

Not a true "school shooting" as we've come to think of them.

Not a kid plotting how to massacre his classmates.

It was a rather simple case of unhinged kid targeting one victim. Fairly common, as far as murders go.

But this is "Year of the School Shooter", much like when it was "Year of the Shark" and "Year of the Whatever Else the Media Wants to Shove Down Our Throat and Make Us Think It's an Epidemic To Get Ratings and Give Them Something To Blather About". And, oh, if they can score political points at the same time, win/win.

The media whores - and yes, David Hogg, I include you in that group - would have us believe this is some phenomenon, but it's not. People have been murdering each other since Cain slew Abel. Yes, kids should be safe in their classrooms, but we should all be safe on the streets and in restaurants and at work as well.

That said, statistically you are not very likely to be a homicide victim, especially in your school. Fact is, we are safe. Crunch the numbers and it's way more likely you will be killed by a distracted driver, and infinitely more likely you will die of old age. Kids are more likely to be killed by their own parents, abortion aside, than be the victim of a school shooter, and yet nobody is suggesting we ban parents.

Yeah, it would be great if there were no such thing as murder or rape or assault - good luck with that. The reality is that your life is constantly in danger and you could be killed by any number of things without warning. But the other reality is that it's not likely.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being led around by the media manipulators and the grandstanding political hacks. I'm tired of all of us buying into this crap. Yesterday's shooting was tragic - they're all tragic. But it wasn't a political statement, and the calls to "do something" are just so much chicanery.

Starman

Not a mass murder.

It was a rather simple case of unhinged kid targeting one victim. Fairly common, as far as murders go.

But this is "Year of the School Shooter", much like when it was "Year of the Shark" and "Year of the Whatever Else the Media Wants to Shove Down Our Throat and Make Us Think It's an Epidemic To Get Ratings and Give Them Something To Blather About". And, oh, if they can score political points at the same time, win/win.

The media whores - and yes, David Hogg, I include you in that group - would have us believe this is some phenomenon, but it's not. People have been murdering each other since Cain slew Abel. Yes, kids should be safe in their classrooms, but we should all be safe on the streets and in restaurants and at work as well.

That said, statistically you are not very likely to be a homicide victim, especially in your school. Fact is, we are safe. Crunch the numbers and it's way more likely you will be killed by a distracted driver, and infinitely more likely you will die of old age. Kids are more likely to be killed by their own parents, abortion aside, than be the victim of a school shooter, and yet nobody is suggesting we ban parents.

Yeah, it would be great if there were no such thing as murder or rape or assault - good luck with that. The reality is that your life is constantly in danger and you could be killed by any number of things without warning. But the other reality is that it's not likely.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being led around by the media manipulators and the grandstanding political hacks. I'm tired of all of us buying into this crap. Yesterday's shooting was tragic - they're all tragic. But it wasn't a political statement, and the calls to "do something" are just so much chicanery.

Your profundities never cease to amaze.

Hijinx

She just told it like it is. Men and women have been killing each other over jealousy or being dumped for years.
That is what this was IMO. Tragic that it happened at a school,but basically a romance turned bad.

I believe most Americans are sick to puking of America's media telling us what we should think.
They tell us who, what , where, when, but they go off pontificating on the why., and sometime lie on the other 4.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

I agree, but without the sarcasm.

"Vraiblonde" writes some of the best stuff on this forum (political, travel, etc.). Writes in a way that challenges (whether you agree or not); her thoughts are well-ordered and presented, as well as informative and often amusing. I'm not the greatest of writers, so I use her posts to challenge myself to do better. May I extend the challenge to other forum participants???

:Thumbs up:

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Vraiblonde" writes some of the best stuff on this forum (political, travel, etc.). Writes in a way that challenges (whether you agree or not); her thoughts are well-ordered and presented, as well as informative and often amusing. I'm not the greatest of writers, so I use her posts to challenge myself to do better. May I extend the challenge to other forum participants???

Wow, thank you :blushing:

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
I agree, but without the sarcasm.

"Vraiblonde" writes some of the best stuff on this forum (political, travel, etc.). Writes in a way that challenges (whether you agree or not); her thoughts are well-ordered and presented, as well as informative and often amusing. I'm not the greatest of writers, so I use her posts to challenge myself to do better.
:Thumbs up:

--- End of line (MCP)

Nothing special, all it takes is a couple glasses of wine and start typing.:otter:

Midnightrider

Not a mass murder.

How do you know he wasn’t planning on killing more people? He shot more than one and was almost immediately confronted by the SRO. There is no telling what might have happened had that deputy not intervened

Hijinx

How do you know he wasn’t planning on killing more people? He shot more than one and was almost immediately confronted by the SRO. There is no telling what might have happened had that deputy not intervened

But he did intervene and that is a major point.
He was there and he did what he was put there to do.

A good man with a gun stopping more violence.

This_person

How do you know he wasn’t planning on killing more people?

"More" people? With all due respect, he was unable to kill any people. Seems he was shot first. He did shoot the girl, but last I knew she was still alive. She might not be if he wasn't stopped.

Midnightrider

But he did intervene and that is a major point.
He was there and he did what he was put there to do.

A good man with a gun stopping more violence.

I agree completely. I’m just not seeing anything that indicates he would not have shot more people had he not been confronted by the SRO. Gilligan is quick to troll, but slow to explain how he determined the kid wasn’t going to shoot anyone else.